trouble using ghostscript Canon Bubblejet 200 driver on Bubblejet 200ex

trouble using ghostscript Canon Bubblejet 200 driver on Bubblejet 200ex

Post by Joe Morris » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello,
I've recently installed Red Hat 2.1 on my PC and am trying to print a PostScript
file with my Canon Bubblejet 200ex printer.

Ghostscript doesn't seem to have a 200ex driver but it did have a Bubblejet 200
driver so I used that.

When I print my postscript files, they come out perfect - except that the output is
divided into horizontal strips separated by blank spaces. It's almost as if my
printer was doing a linefeed after printing each strip.

Does anyone know if I need to write a new 200ex driver? Or is the 200 driver suitable
but I've misconfigured something?

I'd also appreciate any pointers to information about Canon printers in general - I
don't even know what the difference is between a 200 and a 200ex.

Thanks very much for any help,

Post by Vern Hox » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Hello,
>When I print my postscript files, they come out perfect - except that
>the output is divided into horizontal strips separated by blank spaces.
>It's almost as if my printer was doing a linefeed after printing each
>strip.

You might read the Manual.  Try page 45.

The problem is culturable.  MSDOS uses the the combination <cr> <lf> to
indicate the end of a line.  Unix uses the <lf> and infers the carriage
return.

If you are using the BJ-10 mode, you can send the sequence "ESC 5 0" to
cancel the automatic line feed with a carriage return. "ESC 5 1" will set
the automatic insertion of a carriage return with a ine feed.  There
doesn't seem to be a similar command when using the LQ mode.

Quote:>I'd also appreciate any pointers to information about Canon printers
>in general - I don't even know what the difference is between a 200
>and a 200ex.

>Does anyone know if I need to write a new 200ex driver? Or is the 200
>driver suitable but I've misconfigured something?

I can't tell you.  Try the Canon help line 1-800-423-2366.  I tried it but
they refered me to an automated fax number.  After going through their touch
tone menu several times, I never received a fax.  If you do get some info,
post it.

They do sell a "Programmer's Manual" but when I bought mine, it listed only
the BJ-200.  I assume the Addendum is on a fax if you can get one.

vern

--
Vernon C. Hoxie                                           scicom!zebra!vern

Denver, Colo., 80212        uucp: 303-455-2670          voice: 303-477-1780

Post by Joe Morris » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>If you are using the BJ-10 mode, you can send the sequence "ESC 5 0" to
>cancel the automatic line feed with a carriage return. "ESC 5 1" will set
>the automatic insertion of a carriage return with a ine feed.  There
>doesn't seem to be a similar command when using the LQ mode.

I figured out my BubbleJet problem. Thanks very much for the suggestion,
but as it turned out the problem didn't have anything to do with line feeds.
Rather, the problem was that I had selected the 300x300 resolution but the
printer only handles 360x360.

Prints Postscript like a charm now!
- Joe

1. Canon Bubblejet* Series w/ GhostScript?

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Canon (ink/bubble-jet)
printer over that of a more conventional HP Deskjet for reasons such as
speed and higher resolution.

I primarily use my system in a Linux environment and more specifically,
my printer is only used to print out PostScript (.ps) files moreso than
anything else.  As of my looking, I have noticed that GS supports various
HP modes, Epson modes and Sparc printers natively.  I am curious to see if
anyone has or knows how to add Canon support to GS to make it take advantage
of 1) Canon's 'printer language' and 2) Canon's higher dpi resolution (720
versus HP's 600).  If this cannot be accomplished, then there would be
little reason for the added features if  they do not work in the environment
that I reside in mostly.

Also if anyone has an suggestions on a particular model of Canon printer
that they would like to recommend, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please follow all replies / information to the below address:

|:| Robert Sink              |"If we dive deep enough can we see under  |:|

|:|---------------------------------------------------------------------|:|
|:| Cheeze-o-rama homepage(w/ picture) http://universe.digex.net/~sinkr/|:|
        *PGP 2.6.2 Public Key Available By Fingering This Account*

2. Kernel-nfs working, plain nfs not working.

3. dvi drivers for Canon Bubblejet

4. in Skipjack, Gnome windows have no titles

5. CANON BUBBLEJET AND PRINTING NEEDS/WANTS

6. Tape drive 7208

7. Canon BubbleJet i950

8. SunOS 4.1.3 <sys/vfs.h>

9. Canon Bubblejet BJ10sx

10. BJC-210 Canon Bubblejet -- Supported?

11. Help: Canon Bubblejet Printer

12. HELP: printing on Canon BubbleJet

13. canon bjc-240 color bubblejet