No USB peripherials works with Mandrake 9.1

No USB peripherials works with Mandrake 9.1

Post by Krister L » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:53:40

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL USB modem to work under
Mandrake 9.1 and having no luck. I have also tried to get a Microsoft
Trackball Optical (USB) to work but also with out any luck. The
trackball works fine if I use the PS2 port, but not if I'm connecting it
via a USB port. Both works perfectly under Windows XP. I am happy to use
the PS2 port for the trackball, but I must get the ADSL modem up and
running or I will be stuck with Windows.

When I boot, the modem is blinking red until the USB stuff is loaded in
the kernel, then it is black and seems to not have any power. The same
happens with the trackball.

I saw somewhere a post for Mandrake 9.0 suggesting booting using "linux
noapic". When I tested doing this the modem kept blinking red until I
rebooted and it gave some error messages so I have discarded that idea

An extract from /var/log/messages during the boot (the normal one, not
the noapic):

Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver hub
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase
0xd4932000, IRQ 20
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.2, Silicon
Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb.c: new USB bus registered,
assigned bus number 1
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: hub.c: USB hub found
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: hub.c: 3 ports detected
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase
0xd4934000, IRQ 23
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.3, Silicon
Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (#2)
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usb.c: new USB bus registered,
assigned bus number 2
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: hub.c: USB hub found
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: hub.c: 3 ports detected
Apr 20 18:09:47 localhost kernel: usbdevfs: remount parameter error

If I unplug either of the trackball or the modem and then reconnect it,
I get the following in /var/log/messages:

Apr 20 19:43:19 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:02.3-2,
assigned address 4
Apr 20 19:43:24 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Apr 20 19:43:24 localhost kernel: usb-ohci.c: unlink URB timeout
Apr 20 19:43:24 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address=4 (error=-110)
Apr 20 19:43:24 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:02.3-2,
assigned address 5
Apr 20 19:43:29 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Apr 20 19:43:29 localhost kernel: usb-ohci.c: unlink URB timeout
Apr 20 19:43:29 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address=5 (error=-110)

I don't believe the problem is the modem or the ADSL driver or any
settings I have done. It looks more to me like the kernel can't handle
my USB hardware. I'm having a HP Pavillion with two "SiS 7001 PCI to USB
Open Host Controllers" (according to Windows XP), each with two USB
contacs, so in total 4 USB ports. The IRQs seen in the logs 20 and 23
are also showed by XP if that matters.

I really want, at least partially, to start using Linux, but this is
almost identical to my last attempt around 1999 and it isn't really
encouraging so far...

Any suggestions would be very welcome. If any other information would
give you a clue to where the problem is, please just let me know where I
find the information and I will post it here.

//Krister

No USB peripherials works with Mandrake 9.1

Post by Lantsurf » Wed, 07 May 2003 04:55:35

I am having the same problem minus all of the eroor messages. I am unable to
setup my adsl modem ( by ipn datacom). I downloaded the unix driver and
installed it but have had no luck. I am suppose to edit a couple of files
according to the docs, but they are in italian and I am not clear what they
want me to do. If you figure it out then by all means let me know.

Post by spacelover_i » Fri, 09 May 2003 03:31:09

> I am having the same problem minus all of the eroor messages. I am unable
> to setup my adsl modem ( by ipn datacom). I downloaded the unix driver and
> installed it but have had no luck. I am suppose to edit a couple of files
> according to the docs, but they are in italian and I am not clear what
> they want me to do. If you figure it out then by all means let me know.

If the Mandrake 9.1 installation recognize the modem you should have no
problem using it as long as you have copied the file mgmt.o to
/usr/share/speedtouch/ .
Also, I'm Italian, so if you need to know the meaning of some Italian
phrases I can translate them. Of course phrases not pages ;).
Ivan

Post by Binh Nguye » Sat, 17 May 2003 23:38:47

> I am having the same problem minus all of the eroor messages. I am
> unable to setup my adsl modem ( by ipn datacom). I downloaded the
> unix driver and installed it but have had no luck. I am suppose to
> edit a couple of files according to the docs, but they are in italian
> and I am not clear what they want me to do. If you figure it out then
> by all means let me know.

Have you tried online translators like google?

http://www.google.com.au/language_tools?hl=en

Binh.

1. Mandrake Control Center in Mandrake 9.1 not working

When i try to execute Mandrake Control Center in Mandrake 9.1 (I updated it
just few days ago from Mandrake 9.0), I get this error message:

drakconf.real:12591 WARNING : No builtin or dinamically loaded modules were
found - Pango will correct it. This problem was an error in the creation of
: '/etc/pango/pango.modules' FATAL: error loading image: couldn't recognize
the image file format for file
'/usr/share/mcc/themes/default/mcc_title_icon.png' at
'/usr/lib/libDrak/ugtk2.pm line 529

Could someone help me?

Francesco
-------------

Teaching OnLine

Corsi online di Informatica

VBA for Access, Visual Basic, Delphi, C/C++
PHP, ASP, JavaScript, SQL, Kylix, Fortran
MySQL, Linux, Apache, ECDL

http://www.teachingonline.it/index.asp

Bruce Eckel's Free Electronic Books
http://www.teachingonline.it/Bruceeckelbooks/

2. Writing over NFS causes lots of paging

3. Emacs and Netscape Icons available?

4. Help with remote backups and restores

5. USB Prolink modem on Mandrake 9.1

6. secure biff

7. usb adsl modem and mandrake 9.1 help???

8. Help: Transcend 7 in 1 Card Reader (USB 2) on Mandrake 9.1

9. Belkin USB 2.0 Card/Mandrake 9.1 issues

10. SOLUTION: got adsl-start, dsl working with Mandrake 9.1

11. Opera 7.x Beta DOES NOT WORK WITH MANDRAKE 9.1