problems with preparing harddisk for linux

problems with preparing harddisk for linux

Post by Michael Gutzma » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

I've got problems with preparing my hard disk for installation of
linux. Because of my large 850MB IDE-Drive (Maxtor) I followed
the instructions of the Linux provider (InfoMagic) how to prepare
the large hard disk for my old ISA-Board with IDE-Controller.

I ran the BIOS (AMI-BIOS 1989) Setup and wrote a disk geometry
of 827cyl,32heads,63sectors into it instead of the real
disk geometry (1654cyl,16heads,63sectors), because the IDE-controller
cannot address more than 1024 cylinders. I divided the real number of
cylinders by 2 and multiplied the real number of heads by the
same factor to get the right hard disk capacity.

The further way should be : to type in the real disk geometry
after booting Slackware Bootdisk, then to run linux fdisk, to get the
expert mode and set the number of cylinders and heads to as in
BIOS setup done. Then no more problems should occur.

The problem : Changes in BIOS setup will not be accepted during the
              boot time.
              I get the message : 'c: disk failure' after stopped
              booting

Who can help ?

Is the only solution to get a newer BIOS or even another main board?

Thanks, Michael

problems with preparing harddisk for linux

Post by Norman Moo » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

writes:
:>
[...]

     What you could do is to partition the drive with two partitions, and
make sure that the first partition ends within the >1024 cylinder barrier.
Then all you have to do is to make sure that you linux 'root' filesystem
resides in the first partition since linux needs your PS's BIOS to boot.
Once the system is up and running linux uses its own drivers so it really
doesn't matter how many cylinders there are.

     I have a similar setup at home.  I've got my root system in a partition
that's below the >1024 limit, and then both '/usr' and '/var' reside in a
partition that goes beyond the limit.  This setup has been working fine for
me for a while so far.

 ...Good Luck,

 ...Norm

1. problem with re-define harddisk type on bootdisk for preparing a mirrorring

Hi,

I wanna know if it's possible to change the type of a disk ( bootdisk
)and howto do it.

i have 2 identical disk's , both are quantum fireball ST 3.2
But in format it's shown like this :
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t3d0 <Linux custom cyl 1018 alt 2 hd 100 sec 62>

       1. c0t4d0 <QUANTUM-FIREBALLST3.2S-0F0C cyl 7066 alt 2 hd 4 sec
223>

I don't know why disk 0 is named as Linux custom.

I'm preparing disk mirroring with DiskSuits 4.2 but because these 2
disks have different numbers of cyl etc i can't copy prtvtoc output to
the other disk.

Disk 0 is bootdisk and contain all data, disk 1 is empty

Please advice or point me to the manuals.

Thanks in advance

William

2. SCSI Information help

3. How much harddisk I have to prepare?

4. Solaris 2.6 HW 5/98 and greater than 2GB coredump

5. SLS 1.03: problem/bug when preparing root diskette

6. How do I change Serial Comm mode?

7. Preparing to upgrade from 5.0.0 to 5.0.5 Any comments on expected problems?

8. Postgres 95 install woes

9. IBM SCSI Harddisk problems with Linux fdisk...

10. problem with samsung harddisk on ATA-controller & linux (Partition check [PTBL])

11. Preparing linux on another system than it is later used on

12. Preparing linux lecture for university

13. preparing hd for linux