Linux Fileserver Hardware question

Post by Blake Sobilof » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I'm going to be setting up a Linux Fileserver and I wanted to make sure the
> hardware I'm
> going to use will be what I want and won't create a bottleneck.

Lance, skip IDE and go to SCSI for your HD. With the slow processor you
have your IDE devices are going to hit your processor pretty hard,
slowing everything down. You'll be much better off with something as
slow and cheap as Fast SCSI II.

--

Higher Education Consulting
KPMG LLP

Linux Fileserver Hardware question

Post by FF » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Agree with Fast SCSI

If you can afford it include
 maxed out RAM
 100BT net
 and Wide SCSI

My works Linux server is
RH5.2 install
Dual P233MMX TYAN 1564D with 512 RAM
Mylex 958 SCSI Wide with 4 - 9G WS HD

besides a bogomip rating of 980, the graphic designer nuts love the
transfer rate.

ttfn,
Frederick

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:04:56 -0500, Blake Sobiloff

>> I'm going to be setting up a Linux Fileserver and I wanted to make sure the
>> hardware I'm
>> going to use will be what I want and won't create a bottleneck.

>Lance, skip IDE and go to SCSI for your HD. With the slow processor you
>have your IDE devices are going to hit your processor pretty hard,
>slowing everything down. You'll be much better off with something as
>slow and cheap as Fast SCSI II.

1. building efficient fileserver on Linux - hardware questions

I got a fund to build efficiecient fileserver and application server on
Linux (FastEthernet, aprox. 20 Win9x SMB clients and 5 netbooted
X-workstations, with NFS-root) and I would like to ask for your kind
advice on following questions:

1. What sort of disk interface will be most efficient UDMA or SCSI U/W?

2. Is dual processor board worth its price - does it give a noticeable
system load advantage?

3. What other parameters will strongly affect system efficiency like
certain memory types, network interface card etc.?

I will appreciate any even partly advice.

Regards

Bartek

Bartlomiej Jarocki           * Instytut Techniki i Aparatury Medycznej
                             * Medical Technology & Equipment Institute

ICQ#7152561                  * tel/fax:(+48 32) 2716013 +21

2. Help! Setting up correct mail-check under bash....

3. Advice on hardware for FreeBSD fileserver ?

4. Good UPS to go with Red Hat 4.2

5. Fileserver Hardware

6. dhcp option 119

7. What hardware do I need for a fileserver

8. Adaptec 1542CF, IBM DPES-31080, SCSI Probs

9. How much hardware does a 100-user fileserver need?

10. dvd on linux questions - hardware for it, tv out and other questions

11. LinuxSoft - the virtual Linux-Fileserver for all Linux-Applikations, Drivers and Documentations just opened

12. LinuxSoft - the virtual Linux-Fileserver for all Linux-Applications, Drivers and Documentations just opened

13. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)