Adding a CDRom when all the IDE channels are full

Adding a CDRom when all the IDE channels are full

Post by Mattthew R. As » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I want to get a second CD-Rom drive.  All my IDE channels are full
(three hard drives and a CDROM).  Can I get an scsi cd rom and install
that?  Will there be any problems?  Is there a better way?
..

Matthew R. Ashe

..
http://www.1709.com

Post by Dimitrios P. Boura » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I want to get a second CD-Rom drive.  All my IDE channels are full
> (three hard drives and a CDROM).  Can I get an scsi cd rom and install
> that?  Will there be any problems?  Is there a better way?

  Matthew,

  The only other way, besides buying a SCSI card and CD-Rom, is buying
 a Sound Blaster 16 Value (or similar card) which has a third IDE
 interface onboard. You could then stick an IDE CD-Rom drive on one
 of its two IDE ports. I've been using this setup with an 8-speed
 toshiba drive for ages :)  with very satisfying results. Of course,
 a SCSI card is a much better solution, no matter which way you look
 at it. Either way shouldn't be a problem.

  Dimitri

|  Dimitrios P. Bouras                        Tel.: +30 1 894-1320     |
|  MBCom Co.                                              968-0554     |
|  41 Pandora Str.                             FAX:       382-7900     |

Adding a CDRom when all the IDE channels are full

Post by James Youngm » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I want to get a second CD-Rom drive.  All my IDE channels are full
>(three hard drives and a CDROM).  Can I get an scsi cd rom and install
>that?  Will there be any problems?  Is there a better way?

You can just add a third IDE controller.  Make sure it can be configured to
live at a noncolflicting address though.
--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

Adding a CDRom when all the IDE channels are full

Post by John Shee » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>  The only other way, besides buying a SCSI card and CD-Rom, is buying
> a Sound Blaster 16 Value (or similar card) which has a third IDE
> interface onboard. You could then stick an IDE CD-Rom drive on one
> of its two IDE ports. I've been using this setup with an 8-speed
> toshiba drive for ages :)  with very satisfying results.

Does this use any additional irqs beyond the one for the soundcard?

 <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Post by Phil DeBeck » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>>  The only other way, besides buying a SCSI card and CD-Rom, is buying
>> a Sound Blaster 16 Value (or similar card) which has a third IDE
>> interface onboard. You could then stick an IDE CD-Rom drive on one
>> of its two IDE ports. I've been using this setup with an 8-speed
>> toshiba drive for ages :)  with very satisfying results.

> Does this use any additional irqs beyond the one for the soundcard?

Yes.  The default for the tertiary IDE channel on a SB16Value uses IRQ 11,
but it configurable to any available IRQ.

--
"Murphy's Law is recursive:
you cannot wash your car to make it rain"

Post by John » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >I want to get a second CD-Rom drive.  All my IDE channels are full
> >(three hard drives and a CDROM).  Can I get an scsi cd rom and install
> >that?  Will there be any problems?  Is there a better way?

> You can just add a third IDE controller.  Make sure it can be configured to
> live at a noncolflicting address though.
> --
> James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
> Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're
> http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html         still a rat.

Maybe I missed the point, but how HDD on soundcard is recognisable ???
I have two HDD's on controller, soundcard with CD-ROM master on it
(170h)
and want to add third HDD. But BIOS doesn't have any option for
secondary
IDE line, and I'm curious about some driver for that task.

Can somebody drop me e-mail about this ???

Many thanxs, Ian

--
-------------------------------
My mailbox ready and waiting :)

Post by Keith Schinc » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:   The only other way, besides buying a SCSI card and CD-Rom, is buying
:  a Sound Blaster 16 Value (or similar card) which has a third IDE
:  interface onboard. You could then stick an IDE CD-Rom drive on one
:  of its two IDE ports. I've been using this setup with an 8-speed
:  toshiba drive for ages :)  with very satisfying results. Of course,
:  a SCSI card is a much better solution, no matter which way you look
:  at it. Either way shouldn't be a problem.

I have just added my forth IDE HD so I moved my 4xCDrom to my SB16 IDE
controller. I have not been successful in getting this set up to
recognize the cdrom or the third controller.

 Could you post or email your lilo comman line entry for the kernel?

--
Keith Schincke    *** When the idealisms of life are stripped away, all ***
Jacksonville, Fl  *** that is left is the cold fact that life sucks.    ***

++The opinions in my email are mine only and are not those of my employer++

Is that funny?   Is that a joke?
 Data

---
The previous signature was generated using a shell script and fortune.