Netgear ethernet problem

Post by Jeff Avallon » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I just recently bought a Netgear FA311 Ethernet card, installed it in my
system (RedHat6.1,P166,64MB RAM,kernel 2.2.15). I bought it because it
said that it supported Linux on the box (it does, I've all ready talked
to the company, all they told me was what driver to use).

So anyway, I've compiled the tulip driver into my kernel (I got the
latest version from www.scyld.com/network like Netgear told me to), and
it doesn't get detected. I've been up and down the Ethernet-HOWTO, it
doesn't really help. Windows95 (my system's a dual boot) found the card
with no problem and reports that it's on IRQ 9 (so does my BIOS), and
the IO range is E400-E4FF (nothing is using this, I checked
/proc/ioports). The BIOS lists it after POST as Bus number 0, Device
number 9, Function number 0, VendorID 100B, DeviceID 0020, and IRQ 9. It
also shows up in /proc/pci, if that helps with the problem. From the
looks of it, the only thing that can't find it is the tulip driver!

Anyway, I've got no clue what's going on here, so if anyone's had
experience with Netgear's stuff then I'd be very thankful for any help
you can give me.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by Mikael Petterss » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I just recently bought a Netgear FA311 Ethernet card, installed it in my
>system (RedHat6.1,P166,64MB RAM,kernel 2.2.15). I bought it because it
>said that it supported Linux on the box (it does, I've all ready talked
>to the company, all they told me was what driver to use).

>So anyway, I've compiled the tulip driver into my kernel

Are you saying that NETGEAR themselves told you that the Linux
tulip driver should work?

I looked through the driver kits for FA311 and FA312, and the Linux
drivers looked like custom code applicable _only_ to these NICs.
(I'd be happy to be proven wrong, however.)

You might want to try the de4x5 driver. My DC21143 NIC didn't work
with the tulip driver in earlier 2.2.x kernels, but de4x5 did work.

/Mikael
--

Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by David Burn » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I just recently bought a Netgear FA311 Ethernet card, installed it in my
> system (RedHat6.1,P166,64MB RAM,kernel 2.2.15). I bought it because it
> said that it supported Linux on the box (it does, I've all ready talked
> to the company, all they told me was what driver to use).

> So anyway, I've compiled the tulip driver into my kernel (I got the
> latest version from www.scyld.com/network like Netgear told me to), and
> it doesn't get detected. I've been up and down the Ethernet-HOWTO, it
> doesn't really help. Windows95 (my system's a dual boot) found the card
> with no problem and reports that it's on IRQ 9 (so does my BIOS), and
> the IO range is E400-E4FF (nothing is using this, I checked
> /proc/ioports). The BIOS lists it after POST as Bus number 0, Device
> number 9, Function number 0, VendorID 100B, DeviceID 0020, and IRQ 9. It
> also shows up in /proc/pci, if that helps with the problem. From the
> looks of it, the only thing that can't find it is the tulip driver!

> Anyway, I've got no clue what's going on here, so if anyone's had
> experience with Netgear's stuff then I'd be very thankful for any help
> you can give me.

I got the fa311 working, but there was a driver
provided on the floppy that came with the card.
Let me know if you still need them and I will
email them to you.  The instructions for install
are in the comment in the front of the fa311.c
file.  Netgear just recently (within the last
week) put up some support information on their
site that may also give the linux files.

By the way, can you check the MAC address on your
card (and anybody reading this that has bought the
card).  I have purchased three fa311's that all
have had the same MAC address, according to
ifconfig.  Here is the address my cards report:

HWaddr: 08:00:17:09:4A:00

The addresses are driving me bananas.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by hobangu » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I've been having fa311 problems too with Redhat 6.2.
I've seen many of the same problems that I see have been posted here,
namely
 --unresolved dependencies when running depmod
 --the system seems to recognize the card, but fails to contact my
Roadrunner dhcp server,
    when the system boots the the "PC" light goes off for a moment which it
doesn't do under Win95.
    don't know if this is significant or not.
--regarding the HW ethernet address issue:  with ifconfig under Linux I get
08:00:17:37:0A:00
   but with Win95 (where everything works fine) I get 00-A0-CC-73-C3-4C!  I
wonder
   if the Linux driver is just reporting the wrong thing.
-- Netgear tech support keeps talking about the tulip driver, seemingly
oblivious that they ship
    a FA311 driver with the card...  I tried tulip and it failed to
recognize the card.

I'm about to return the card and get a different one.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by Calvin N. Hobbe » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Netgear products also don't work well with Dell laptop systems.

Apparently there's something wrong with the NICs.

Quote:> I just recently bought a Netgear FA311 Ethernet card, installed it in my
> system (RedHat6.1,P166,64MB RAM,kernel 2.2.15). I bought it because it
> said that it supported Linux on the box (it does, I've all ready talked
> to the company, all they told me was what driver to use).

> So anyway, I've compiled the tulip driver into my kernel (I got the
> latest version from www.scyld.com/network like Netgear told me to), and
> it doesn't get detected. I've been up and down the Ethernet-HOWTO, it
> doesn't really help. Windows95 (my system's a dual boot) found the card
> with no problem and reports that it's on IRQ 9 (so does my BIOS), and
> the IO range is E400-E4FF (nothing is using this, I checked
> /proc/ioports). The BIOS lists it after POST as Bus number 0, Device
> number 9, Function number 0, VendorID 100B, DeviceID 0020, and IRQ 9. It
> also shows up in /proc/pci, if that helps with the problem. From the
> looks of it, the only thing that can't find it is the tulip driver!

> Anyway, I've got no clue what's going on here, so if anyone's had
> experience with Netgear's stuff then I'd be very thankful for any help
> you can give me.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by Jeff Avallon » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Have you gotten any of the drivers to work?

> I've been having fa311 problems too with Redhat 6.2.
> I've seen many of the same problems that I see have been posted here,
> namely
>  --unresolved dependencies when running depmod
>  --the system seems to recognize the card, but fails to contact my
> Roadrunner dhcp server,
>     when the system boots the the "PC" light goes off for a moment which it
> doesn't do under Win95.
>     don't know if this is significant or not.
> --regarding the HW ethernet address issue:  with ifconfig under Linux I get
> 08:00:17:37:0A:00
>    but with Win95 (where everything works fine) I get 00-A0-CC-73-C3-4C!  I
> wonder
>    if the Linux driver is just reporting the wrong thing.
> -- Netgear tech support keeps talking about the tulip driver, seemingly
> oblivious that they ship
>     a FA311 driver with the card...  I tried tulip and it failed to
> recognize the card.

You want fun with Netgear support? I've been going back and forth with
them for a week. First they told my to use the tulip driver, then they
told me the driver they shipped, now I just got an email today where
they say that it's a National Semiconductor chipset. None of their
suggestions has been all too helpful. I really wish they'd decide how
they built their card...

Quote:

> I'm about to return the card and get a different one.

I'm with you, I'm going to call them today, if they can't get it to work
then it's going back to the store. If they help me at all, then I'll
post the useful parts here.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by jw2.. » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I just bought this card (FA311TX) and feel really cheated. It's going
back ASAP. The card might be OK in Windows, but the Linux drivers just
aren't there yet (AFAIK).

The card uses a National Semiconductor DP83815C chip. The box is
*technically* correct in that includes a Linux driver, but the driver
is written to work with 2.0.36. It will *not* work with 2.2.x SMP
systems.

I tried for quite a while to get it working on a 2.2.16 SMP system
before I resorted to reading the driver source. So this whole thing was
a big disappointment - even more so because I never had any problems
with their old FA310TX cards. I hope those aren't discontinued any time
in the near future...

- John

> Have you gotten any of the drivers to work?

> > I've been having fa311 problems too with Redhat 6.2.
> > I've seen many of the same problems that I see have been posted
here,
> > namely
> >  --unresolved dependencies when running depmod
> >  --the system seems to recognize the card, but fails to contact my
> > Roadrunner dhcp server,
> >     when the system boots the the "PC" light goes off for a moment
which it
> > doesn't do under Win95.
> >     don't know if this is significant or not.
> > --regarding the HW ethernet address issue:  with ifconfig under
Linux I get
> > 08:00:17:37:0A:00
> >    but with Win95 (where everything works fine) I get 00-A0-CC-73-
C3-4C!  I
> > wonder
> >    if the Linux driver is just reporting the wrong thing.
> > -- Netgear tech support keeps talking about the tulip driver,
seemingly
> > oblivious that they ship
> >     a FA311 driver with the card...  I tried tulip and it failed to
> > recognize the card.

> You want fun with Netgear support? I've been going back and forth with
> them for a week. First they told my to use the tulip driver, then they
> told me the driver they shipped, now I just got an email today where
> they say that it's a National Semiconductor chipset. None of their
> suggestions has been all too helpful. I really wish they'd decide how
> they built their card...

> > I'm about to return the card and get a different one.

> I'm with you, I'm going to call them today, if they can't get it to
work
> then it's going back to the store. If they help me at all, then I'll
> post the useful parts here.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by Gary Spive » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I also got the FA311 working, (had to add eth0 fa311 to the
/etc/conf.modules file) but I am still getting the depmod "unresolved
dependencies" message. Did anybody figure out how to get rid of this
message? And why did I have to add the eth0 line to the conf.modules anyway
(seems like it should have picked it up automagically like my 3com card did
in my other system).

Still wish I had paid the extra for the 3com card (and I think I likely will
anyway and take the netgear back).

Cheers,
Gary

Quote:> I got the fa311 working, but there was a driver

Post by Steven Fosdic » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I just recently bought a Netgear FA311 Ethernet card, installed it in my
> system (RedHat6.1,P166,64MB RAM,kernel 2.2.15). I bought it because it
> said that it supported Linux on the box (it does, I've all ready talked
> to the company, all they told me was what driver to use).

> So anyway, I've compiled the tulip driver into my kernel (I got the
> latest version from www.scyld.com/network like Netgear told me to), and
> it doesn't get detected. I've been up and down the Ethernet-HOWTO, it
> doesn't really help. Windows95 (my system's a dual boot) found the card
> with no problem and reports that it's on IRQ 9 (so does my BIOS), and
> the IO range is E400-E4FF (nothing is using this, I checked
> /proc/ioports). The BIOS lists it after POST as Bus number 0, Device
> number 9, Function number 0, VendorID 100B, DeviceID 0020, and IRQ 9. It
> also shows up in /proc/pci, if that helps with the problem. From the
> looks of it, the only thing that can't find it is the tulip driver!

Have you checked that the pci-scan module that latest tulip driver
needs is getting loaded?

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by jw2.. » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > I just recently bought a Netgear FA311 Ethernet card, installed it
in my
> > system (RedHat6.1,P166,64MB RAM,kernel 2.2.15). I bought it because
it
> > said that it supported Linux on the box (it does, I've all ready
talked
> > to the company, all they told me was what driver to use).

> > So anyway, I've compiled the tulip driver into my kernel (I got the
> > latest version from www.scyld.com/network like Netgear told me to),
and
> > it doesn't get detected. I've been up and down the Ethernet-HOWTO,
it
> > doesn't really help. Windows95 (my system's a dual boot) found the
card
> > with no problem and reports that it's on IRQ 9 (so does my BIOS),
and
> > the IO range is E400-E4FF (nothing is using this, I checked
> > /proc/ioports). The BIOS lists it after POST as Bus number 0, Device
> > number 9, Function number 0, VendorID 100B, DeviceID 0020, and IRQ
9. It
> > also shows up in /proc/pci, if that helps with the problem. From the
> > looks of it, the only thing that can't find it is the tulip driver!

> Have you checked that the pci-scan module that latest tulip driver
> needs is getting loaded?

That won't help. The FA311 does not use the DEC chipset. It uses a
newer chipset by National Semiconductor - the DP83815C. So the TULIP
driver will not work.

I don't know how the NatSemi chip compares to the DEC chipset
performance or feature-wise. A quick look at the spec. sheet from the
National Semiconductor website indicates that it's a mass-market, low
price ethernet part. But the DEC chipset is getting old and ethernet is
pretty well understood by now. Performance-wise I would expect them to
be about the same (?), but that's a moot point until we get a good
2.2.x or 2.4.x driver for the FA311...

FWIW - the driver included in the package is written for the 2.0.x
kernels. If you want to use it on a 2.2.x kernel, you should read the
source. In particular, it won't work on a SMP machine under 2.2.x. I
can vouch for that :-(.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netgear ethernet problem

Post by potempki » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Jesus Christ!!!  At least I know now that people have having
the same problems  that I am.  I, too cannot get the source
for the fa311 driver to compile.  Netgear has done nothing
but give me the runaround in their support emails, including
everything that people have said here (telling me that it's
a Nat.Semi. chipset, etc...).  They also told me to go to
follow this link:

http://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/support?solution&11-990500-0380&100-925...

But all it does is bring me to RedHat's main support page.
Supposedly there was supposed to be a document about the
fa310 which pretained also to the fa311, but there's nothing
to be found when searching RedHat's site.

Okaaaaaaaay....so, anyone know of any cheap NICs which _dO_
work (my 3Com EtherLinkIII (3x59x kernel module) works
great--to bad I can't find them in PCI anymore...)????

--potempkin