Suggestions on good SCSI card for RH 7.3

Suggestions on good SCSI card for RH 7.3

Post by Sam Alexand » Thu, 16 May 2002 00:11:13

I'm looking to add SCSI to my system, but SCSI is a new realm for me.
Can someone suggest a good SCSI adapter, preferably not
mega-expensive, to simply experiment with RAID and SCSI on a home
Linux box?  I'd like something that's supported out-of-the-box by Red
Hat and doesn't require much extra for setup.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Suggestions on good SCSI card for RH 7.3

Post by Doug Holt » Fri, 17 May 2002 09:23:28

Sam;

Experiment with Adaptec.  You are looking at around $360 for a 160 MB speed
controller and about double for a RAID controller.

Doug

Quote:> I'm looking to add SCSI to my system, but SCSI is a new realm for me.
> Can someone suggest a good SCSI adapter, preferably not
> mega-expensive, to simply experiment with RAID and SCSI on a home
> Linux box?  I'd like something that's supported out-of-the-box by Red
> Hat and doesn't require much extra for setup.

> Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Suggestions on good SCSI card for RH 7.3

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 17 May 2002 19:29:09

Quote:> Experiment with Adaptec.  You are looking at around $360 for a 160 MB speed
> controller and about double for a RAID controller.

The bottom end of the U160 range from adaptec is around $80 (I have a
couple). Raid scsi controllers run expensive, OTOH. He wants softraid
for the time being.

Peter

Post by John Mello » Fri, 17 May 2002 21:15:57

> I'm looking to add SCSI to my system, but SCSI is a new realm for me.
> Can someone suggest a good SCSI adapter, preferably not
> mega-expensive, to simply experiment with RAID and SCSI on a home
> Linux box?  I'd like something that's supported out-of-the-box by Red
> Hat and doesn't require much extra for setup.

You don't mention what kind of machine you're working on, so I'll presume
that its a fairly late-model PC, and not a sparc or alpha box or
something more *.  You also don't mention the distribution that
you're using as your base, so I'll assume RedHat.

For experimenting, you probably don't need a bleeding-edge controller.
Most controllers more than about a year old are well supported.

Look for a simple Adaptec AHA2960 with the appropriate width for your
disks on EBay.  I picked one up for $12 plus a small shipping charge.
Its a PCI-bus card with a fast, narrow interface that suits my tape
drives and CDRoms very well.

If you need an ISA card, I've got a spare one now.  Unfortunately, RedHat
does not support anything better than the bare-bones ISA controllers, so
you have to be careful here.

Whichever card you get, pay very close attention to the SCSI interface
specifications.  There are a lot of incompatible versions of SCSI.  An LV or an
LVD interface is incompatible with normal single-ended SCSI, as is
double-ended SCSI.  A wide or an ultra-wide interface will require an
adapter to interface to a narrow connection with a smaller number of
pins, and vice-versa, and all devices on that cable will run at the
speed of the lowest performance device on the chain.

Finally, take a look at the RedHat hardware compatibility listing on
their website.  They list a large number of specific cards and the
caveats that you have to be aware of.

Post by Skylar Thompso » Sun, 19 May 2002 05:53:23

> LVD interface is incompatible with normal single-ended SCSI, as is
> double-ended SCSI.  A wide or an ultra-wide interface will require an
> adapter to interface to a narrow connection with a smaller number of
> pins, and vice-versa, and all devices on that cable will run at the
> speed of the lowest performance device on the chain.

It's not really the lowest-performance device that sets the transfer rate;
it's the device with the lowest bus speed. Bus width doesn't come into this
at all, so you can have a Wide Ultra (16-bit 20MHz for 40MB/s) and a Narrow
Ultra (8-bit 20MHz for 20MB/s) device on the same Wide Ultra chain, and the
bus frequency would remain at Ultra (20MHz), and bus bandwidth will stay at
40MB/s. If, OTOH, you have a Narrow Ultra chain and try connecting a Wide
Fast (16-bit 10MHz) device to the chain, the entire chain will be pulled
down to Fast Narrow (8-bit 10MHz for 10MB/s).

--

1. What P4 motherboard good for RH 7.3?

Well, basically, any Intel i845/i848/i865/i875 chipset
mainboard is okay.  Max CPU speed depends on chipset and on
board power module.  All of the above chipsets support DDR
RAM, only i875 supports ECC RAM, all have AGP/PCI support,
and usually mainboards might have integrated LAN option
using Intel 82375 or 82540 chip.  If you want very easy,
stable, no kernel recompile operation on linux, use Intel
chipset mainboard.  For other brandname chipsets, they might
be stable also, but you might have to experiment and/or
tweak this/that feature.

Big brandname mainboard manufacturers, like Asus, Gigabyte,
ECS, Tyan, etc. produce better mainboards, mainly better
components are used to contruct the power module part.  But
if you want the most conservative spec, you might want to
buy Intel mainboard.  You will be assured that Intel
mainboard will NOT push the chipset to the edge but well
within all spec margin.

Well, but why not consider AMD CPU?  Both Athlon XP,
Operton, etc. CPUs are rock solid performers, especially if
you compare similarly priced CPU between Intel and AMD.  You
will get very good arithmetic performance on AMD, but Intel
might be better on applications with heavy use of SSE
instructions and on raw memory bandwidth.  If you want to
try AMD mainboard, find one using Nvidia NForce chipset,
disable the onboard LAN, but put in a 3Com 3c905, Intel
82375 etc. well support LAN card.

One point you have to bear in mind, as RedHat had stopped to
support all desktop OSes (like RH6/7/8/9), there will be no
new errata, security patches to be available.  If serious
sercurity flaws are exploited, your system will be
vulnerable.

My 2 cents.

2. Vast improvement in thread scheduling 2.0.29->2.0.32

3. symbios sym53c416 scsi-card together with ide-scsi-emulation on Suse 7.3

4. news groups

5. Proper way to load SCSI driver in RH 7.3

6. Attention gurus: NFS pseudo-server wanted

7. Installing RH 7.3 from SCSI CD-ROM

8. Strange wu.ftpd problem...

9. RH 7.3 not reckonizing my Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI controller

10. CD burner problems, SCSI & IDE, RH 7.3

11. DELL OEM Turtle Beach Montego II sound card for RH 7.3?

12. Sure-fire wireless PCMCIA card for RH 7.3 (k=2.4.18-3)?

13. configuring wireless card wpc11 v3 with rh 7.3