WD Caviar 1.2 GB drives

Post by Ken Yanovs » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a WD Caviar 1.2 GB drive and
it seems to be slow as hell! What my friend's Conner drive can save in
half a second, my drive takes about 7 seconds :(.
Not only in Linux, but in DOS, too. So it must be the hardware that's slow..
And someone was telling me the WD hard drives were fast.. sigh

Ken.
Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing.  --* Brandon

WD Caviar 1.2 GB drives

Post by SkiBum [CS » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Has anyone else had this problem? I have a WD Caviar 1.2 GB drive and
: it seems to be slow as hell! What my friend's Conner drive can save in
: half a second, my drive takes about 7 seconds :(.
: Not only in Linux, but in DOS, too. So it must be the hardware that's slow..
: And someone was telling me the WD hard drives were fast.. sigh

: Ken.
: --
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
: when it is bad, it is better than nothing.  --* Brandon

        I've got one, and mines as fast as hell.  If someone would
explain to me how to benchmark it wirh hdparm, I`d give you my results.
        Oh, btw, does your controller support pio modes?  The drive is a
type 3, rated for 12megs a sec.  I've had it peak at that are sustain
4.5megs a sec.

--

University of New Brunswick     | Solomon, The North Face, No Fear!
Fredericton, NB, Canada         | Nothing but C for me, BSc.EE

1. Accessing 1.2 GB WD DOS drive

I have recently installed  the Slackware dist of Linux and am now
running kernel 1.2.8.  I have three HDs. On the primary controller I have
a 730 MB for DOS and a 424 MB for Linux.  On the Secondary controller, I
have a 1.2 GB DOS drive. With the slackware install the 730 MB DOS drive
was configured properly and is mounted as /C from Linux.  When Linux
boots, I note the kernel sees all three drives.
My question is how can a mount the 1.2 GB DOS drive.  I have tried
adding an aditional line in fstab with no luck.

Thanks!
--
 Matthew P. Bohnsack

 Web:   http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mbohnsac

2. crontab

3. hdparm WD Caviar 1.2 gig and 1.2.9

4. Networking problems

5. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

6. Unknown Mailer Errors

7. Subscribe

8. HARD DRIVE WD CAVIAR AC2700 (LILO)

9. LBA/biosgeom, WD Caviar 1.2Gb drive