serial cards compatibility

Post by Steve Kinde » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:28:04

I need to increase the serial port capability of my linux system. Could
anyone
recommend a four port PCI option please? Or other means. Presently
running
Redhat 7.3.

Cheers

Steve

serial cards compatibility

Post by Glen Cummi » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:25:48

Steve,

Quote:> I need to increase the serial port capability of my linux system. Could
> anyone
> recommend a four port PCI option please? Or other means. Presently
> running
> Redhat 7.3.

^^^
We've 2-port and 4-port expander serial pci cards from sunix
(www.sunix.com.tw) which worked fine (usually they just plug in and
work othertimes need a poke using setserial using data that comes from
lspci -vv).

They are easy available in the uk - although I cannot remember who we
bought ours from - they do 1,2,4 and 8 port varieties.

Glen

Post by Penguin Dream » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:54:34

>>Steve,

>>>I need to increase the serial port capability of my linux system. Could
>>>anyone
>>>recommend a four port PCI option please? Or other means. Presently
>>>running
>>>Redhat 7.3.

>>^^^
>>We've 2-port and 4-port expander serial pci cards from sunix
>>(www.sunix.com.tw) which worked fine (usually they just plug in and
>>work othertimes need a poke using setserial using data that comes from
>>lspci -vv).

>>They are easy available in the uk - although I cannot remember who we
>>bought ours from - they do 1,2,4 and 8 port varieties.

> OTOH, I have a card whose FCC ID (H9MSER40XX) identifies it as Sunix (or
> Timedia, or Mercury), which locks up the computer (kernel panic? no lights
> on keyboard) when I write to it.  I think the box called it a "Mercury"
> brand.  YM (or serial driver) MV.

The symptoms you are describing (lockup, no keyboard lights)
are characteristic of a blown card. Don't blame linux
or the manufacturer for that, it's probably been zapped
with static.

Tom