Which is better AMD vs Intel

Post by Bill » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Linuxers,

I am in the process of upgrading my system hardware and OS (to hedhat5.0
from win95, another convert). Will AMD K6 (say a 200mhz w/ mmx) work
with redhat 5.0? Would an intel work better (any difference)?  My system
will run (redhat) linux only.

My understanding is that linux (redhat 5.0) has 2 video options (xfree86
and Metro-X).  Which is better and which graphics card is recommended?
Presently,I have a Diamond stealth64 4meg video vram. I can change if
necessary.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Bill Dale

Which is better AMD vs Intel

Post by Vincent M Bentle » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Linuxers,

> I am in the process of upgrading my system hardware and OS (to hedhat5.0
> from win95, another convert). Will AMD K6 (say a 200mhz w/ mmx) work
> with redhat 5.0? Would an intel work better (any difference)?  My system
> will run (redhat) linux only.

Don't rule out Cyrix. I've been running three machines with Cyrix P166
chips for about a year with no problems. My only gripe with them is that
you can't put two on a 2 x CPU motherboard.

Vince Bentley
Objects Limited

Which is better AMD vs Intel

Post by david parso » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Linuxers,

>I am in the process of upgrading my system hardware and OS (to hedhat5.0
>from win95, another convert). Will AMD K6 (say a 200mhz w/ mmx) work
>with redhat 5.0? Would an intel work better (any difference)?  My system
>will run (redhat) linux only.

    Given the choice between a
     a) Pentium Pro family chip (8052[123]) and an AMD K6, I'd pick the
        K6 unless I needed to do a lot of floating point computations.
     b) Pentium family chip (8050[12]) and an AMD K6, I'd pick the K6
        without reservations, no matter what I wanted to do.

    The K5's are nice, but they don't come at the clockrates you can get
    80502s at, and Intel is busily shovelling the Pentiums out the door
    so that they can clear the deck for sales of more chocolate bars.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ K5/90, K5/100, K5/100, K5/133, K6/233, ...
                   \/

Which is better AMD vs Intel

Post by Sheldon Nylande » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Despite what you might have heard, Linux works fine on the AMD K6.  I am
running redhat 4.1 on my K6 233 MHz machine right now without any problems.
The rumored incompatibility problems stem from the fact that the K6 is
optimized for a Windows environment, but it works just fine with Linux/UNIX

> > Linuxers,

> > I am in the process of upgrading my system hardware and OS (to hedhat5.0
> > from win95, another convert). Will AMD K6 (say a 200mhz w/ mmx) work
> > with redhat 5.0? Would an intel work better (any difference)?  My system
> > will run (redhat) linux only.

Which is better AMD vs Intel

Post by Tom Phoeni » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> When Mr. Schwartz used crack to steal another users passwd to
> gain unauthorized access to a computer to steal that passwd file
> and run crack again ... he stepped way over the line. The jury
> agreed. I agree with them ... as both a ex-hacker and system
> admin of more than 20 years experience.

It seems that you may have been misinformed about some of the vital
aspects of the case and the law behind it. Of course, a newsgroup about
Linux hardware is not really the place to discuss it. If you would like to
join a mailing list which would be an appropriate place to discuss the

"subscribe fors-discuss" as the only line in the body of the message.

Interested parties should also check out this URL.

    http://www.rahul.net/jeffrey/ovs/

Thanks!

--
Tom Phoenix           http://www.teleport.com/~rootbeer/

Randal Schwartz Case:  http://www.rahul.net/jeffrey/ovs/
              Ask me about Perl trainings!

1. Is AMD better or Intel better for Linux?

Hi,

I am going to build a linux system running FORTRAN programs compiled by
either ifc or lahey.  Also I do a lot latex processing.
At the high-end, is Intel P4 better or AMD Athlon XP better?

At the moment, I am comparing Intel D850 EMVR (hyperthread) or similar
and ASUS A7N8X.
(dual bus or something).

According to the SPEC CPU2000 result from Windows XP, Intel is supposed
to be better.
However, almost all my experience has been the opposite.
What has been your experience?

Thanks

Regards,

Hugh

2. need UNIX or DOS style guides for C - ideally a portable guide

3. AMD Thunderbird vs AMD XP: what is better?

5. AMD vs CYRIX vs INTEL

6. Iomega DittoMax and Linux

7. Intel vs. AMD. vs Cyrix

8. Hooking up RH 5.2 to a Win95/98 Network

9. Which is better: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or Intel Pentium 2 GHz?

10. Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

11. VIA vs Intel chipsets - which is better?

12. AMD DX4/120 vs. INTEL DX4/100