Linux kernel 2.2.x and serial port

Post by Mark DeNev » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
    Has anyone had this problem ... I upgraded to the new 2.2.6 kernel and I
have lost the use of one serial port on my machine.  It is a port that uses
a shared IRQ.  If i reboot and go back to a 2.0.36 kernel it works fine.  As
sson as I switch to the new kernel it gives and error "allready in use or
hardware problem".  I have checked the irq and io port does not change...
and I am aware of the removal of the /dev/cua device and it is not related
to this.  Any ideas?  Thank you for your help.

Mark

Post by Bela Lanto » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     Has anyone had this problem ... I upgraded to the new 2.2.6 kernel and I
> have lost the use of one serial port on my machine.  It is a port that uses
> a shared IRQ.  If i reboot and go back to a 2.0.36 kernel it works fine.  As
> sson as I switch to the new kernel it gives and error "allready in use or
> hardware problem".  I have checked the irq and io port does not change...
> and I am aware of the removal of the /dev/cua device and it is not related
> to this.  Any ideas?  Thank you for your help.

> Mark

Edit your /etc/conf.modules file, and put in the following lines:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

Reboot Linux then check the port in printtool. It should be there.
Cheers, Bela

(homepage: http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/belantos/index.html)