Multiple Monitors

Post by Thomas McColga » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:58:05

Hi,

I want to set up my system so that i have two monitors, one with X on it and
the other one with a console. What would i have to do for that? I have two
monitors and two graphiccards on my system at the moment, but only one of
each is being used.

Thanks in advandce, Thomas

PS: I hav Suse 7.0 pro installed

Multiple Monitors

Post by Tim McCo » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:20:49

Your first option would be to utilise the second screen as more of a dumb
terminal. What you're suggesting is a little tough, because your machine
is going to need to know where to put the keyboard commands it reads from
you.

Is this likely to be a two-operator setup? If not, then it's kinda
redundant... Roving between two monitors is relatively straight forward
to set up, especially with NVIDIA TwinView. But at the same time, I don't
belive that a console support the ability to roll accross and do work that
way. The two-X screens is powered by an extra extension to the server
(Xinerama?) and is not pure VGA console enabled.

You could always run TwinView and have your working desktop on one, and a
full screen terminal window on the other... And if you feel like it, you
can always drag the odd app over to the second monitor!

In your case, you sound like you have a half-decent and possibly a
slightly dodgey Video card - maybe invest in a newer dual-head one to
eliminate set-up hassle. Possibly an upper-mid-range NVIDIA card with SVGA
and DVI out, and you could take the DVI back to SVGA for the older monitor.

Cheers

Tim

--
http://members.swiftdsl.com.au/~tmccoy

ICQ: 160341067

Multiple Monitors

Post by William Par » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:23:33

> Hi,

> I want to set up my system so that i have two monitors, one with X on
> it and the other one with a console. What would i have to do for that?
> I have two monitors and two graphiccards on my system at the moment,
> but only one of each is being used.

> Thanks in advandce, Thomas

> PS: I hav Suse 7.0 pro installed

Distribution is irrelevant.  With standard XFree86 (mine is 4.3.0), you
can select monitor/video/mouse when you bring up X.

Main issue is keyboard.  Kernel doesn't know which key came from which
keyboard, because keyboarda are shared.  If you only need one keyboard,
then done.  If you need second independent keyboard, then you need to
patch X and kernel.