TV-out under Linux / ATI Expert PLay 2000 card

TV-out under Linux / ATI Expert PLay 2000 card

Post by Jayn » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:46:06

OK, a couple of questions...

 - we've set up a Suse 7.1 PC with an ATI Expert Play 2000 card with
   tv out. Does anyone know if its possible to enable the tv-out
feature?
   We need to hook the PC up to a big colour TV for teletext-like
   information screens

 - or failing that, can anyone recommend a PC video card with TV out
which is
   known to work under Linux?

Thanks!

Jayne.

--

Post by David Balazi » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:22:32

> OK, a couple of questions...

>  - we've set up a Suse 7.1 PC with an ATI Expert Play 2000 card with
>    tv out. Does anyone know if its possible to enable the tv-out feature?

There is no TV-out support for ant ATI card and never will be.
Quoting the FAQ from http://linuxvideo.org/gatos/ :

> 1.8. Is TV-Out supported?
>      No, TV-Out is not supported at this time, mostly due to a lack of documentation. Some users have reported success in using frame buffer support to turn on
>      TV-Out. Someone has contributed a set of instructions on setting up the frame buffer, and Fabio Giovagnini has reported success using VGA=781,784 (the

The only way to get TV-out working is to boot up with no monitor connected but a TV,
so that the BIOS screen appears on TV. Then in linux you must use the vesafb driver.
You can not change resolutions then.

Quote:>    We need to hook the PC up to a big colour TV for teletext-like
>    information screens

Try connecting using the RGB lines, works with every VGA card !
( connect the R,G,B and GND + the sync ; the TV requeires a single
composyte sync line , while most VGA cards use separate horizontal
and vertical sync, some may produce a composyte sync too, otherwise
you can combine the hsync and vsync to a c-sync with a simple circuit )

Don't forget to use a TV compatible resolution ! :-)

Quote:

>  - or failing that, can anyone recommend a PC video card with TV out
> which is known to work under Linux?

I think voodoo3 with TV-out works. But check before paying any money !!!

Quote:

--
David Balazic

Post by Jonadab the Unsightly O » Sun, 06 May 2001 10:18:47

> Don't forget to use a TV compatible resolution ! :-)

What, about 320x200?  And the pixels still won't be square.

You might consider one of those SVGA projector units.
They cost money, but they typically can display real
monitor-quality images on the nearest available flat
white vertical surface at larger-than-monitor size.

Just a thought.

- jonadab