fdisk - partition table doesn't show all the drives

fdisk - partition table doesn't show all the drives

Post by jog.. » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

My "C" drive crashed and was replaced and the whole system works fine.  But in Linux, when I enter fdisk, it prints a message saying sda is default drive, and only the partitions on sda are displayed in the partition table.
Linux itself runs on sdb8, and /usr/var/log/dmesg shows sda, sdb, and sdc as being there.
I want to move linux to a bigger partition on sdc, but I can't get there from here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Post by Robert Koma » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: My "C" drive crashed and was replaced and the whole system works fine.  But in Linux, when I enter fdisk, it prints a message saying sda is default drive, and only the partitions on sda are displayed in the partition table.
: Linux itself runs on sdb8, and /usr/var/log/dmesg shows sda, sdb, and sdc as being there.
: I want to move linux to a bigger partition on sdc, but I can't get there from here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Use `fdisk /dev/sdb' to work on that drive's partition table.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

1. RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

        Finally installing RH 5 in my journey to move into other OS's
besides OS/2 (getting off the train before it stops
rolling...)...but I've run into a problem.

        Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
(says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).

        I tried to re-install RH...crashed again--this time with the
following message:

                RPM of XFree86 failed.  Unpacking failed on file:
                                                        /usr/x11r6/man/man1/xrdb.1x:-1:
                no such file or directory.

        I've tried the rescue option off the install diskettes, but I'm
not well versed yet in *nix-ese and couldn't get fdisk to run so
I'm lost there.

        Any help is appreciated.  Vitals are:

        486DX120 (SP3 motherboard)
        2 HDisks--1 gig each, partitioned in the following:

        Disk 1

                Boot Manager
                C:  Win 95 (hidden)
                C:  DOS/win boot
                E:  OS/2 (under hpfs)
                F: and G: -- both hpfs

        Disk 2

                D:  FAT16
                --a 500 meg partition where I was going to put Linux
                --another hpfs
                --unused partition where the swap file was going to go
                --another FAT16 partition

        Thanx for any help in advance!

*  Servant of El Elohim                *
*    OS/2 User, (hope to add linux)   *
*     Player of VGAP and SFB           *
*   A gentle easterly breeze           *
*         awaiting an omniscient       *
*             Sonrise...Zephyr Q       *

2. Remote backup: How to do it?

3. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

4. Question about Shared libs and unresolved symbols (Linux)

5. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree

6. /dev/fd0: unknown device

7. Partition table by fdisk can't be recognized by Partition Magic

8. Equal Hostnames For Multi

9. Linksys "DHCP Clients Table" doesn't show hostname

10. fdisk, 6Gb drive, unkown partition table

11. NOVELL's fdisk alters partition-table!

12. Help! fdisk can't read partition table