need hardware recommendation for a linux system

need hardware recommendation for a linux system

Post by Chris Kenne » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am looking into building my own system for college, and of course
running linux.  I would mainly use it for quake, surfing the net, and
maybe a little programming.
I have about $2200 to spend and I was wondering what I should get.  I
was wondering if ppro 150 overclocked to 166 would be better than a
pentium 200 mmx also.
Thanks

---
Chris Kennedy

need hardware recommendation for a linux system

Post by John Smit » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

With that chunk of cash you could get virtually any system you want.  First
of all since you are using it for college also I'd suggest taht your
machine be a dual OS one Win95/Linux at least until you are sure you can
live with linux alone, after all its easier to create papers in Word than
vi or LaTex.

First you will probably need 2 drives:  I'd suggest at least 2 gigs for
Win95 and about a gig sould be more than enougth for Linux  (Slackware only
uses about 200-250 MB of space + 32 MB swapspace leaves about 700 MB free.
Unless you are going to be doing high end graphics any generic s3 card
should do nicely.  I'd suggest and s3 Virge with 4 MB of EDO memory
(generics can be gotten as cheaply as $50).  Don't overclock your chip,
their is no real need too, overall performance is not very CPU dependent
under linux anyway.  Do try and get a CPU which uses a bus blcok speed of
66 Mhz or higher, becuase of bus clock speed a 150 is little better than a
133.  If you want a faster CPU you can get more bang for your buck by using
a non-intel x86 chip.  Cyrix's 6x86L or AMD's K5 are also good chips.  Be
warned though, nonintel chip are comparable to pentiums under Win95 in
speed however intel's chip run 32 bit code faster.  So under win95 a Cyrix
6x86 200 and a Pentium 200 will run about evenly, however under NT or Linux
the Pentium will be faster.  Despite this the Cyrix and AMD chips are still
good values.  You can probably get a 200 from these guys for about the
price of an intel 133 if not lower,.so they will give you more bang for the
buck even under linux.  forget about MMX, linux doesn't even use it since
the compiler is yet to support it, although the assembler recently added
support for it.  If you really want MMX look into AMD's K6 or Cyrix's
6x86MX.  Both will give you Pentium II level performance, under Win95 with
MMX for a much lower price.  Go for at least 32 megs of ram, 64 would be
nice but currently probably unnecesary.  Get either EDO or SDRAM memory.
Get a motherboard with EIDE which supports Ultra-DMA although not nessecary
this will help out performance alot.  If you get Ultra-DMA try and get
Ultra-DMA hard drives as well.  I'd also suggest getting a PS/2 port for
your mouse.  Less likelyhood of conficts and this configuration will also
free up a serial port.  rest is basically standard 3 1/4 floppy, Monitor,
keyboard, and mouse (PS/2 if you use the port).  Spring for the 15" if
possible, your eyes will love the exrta inch.  Don't get talked into SCSI
does make sense with ultra-dma.  You can get package great deals in
compuiter shopper, some even come with software.   Get the package if at a
good price and add in the extra goodies.  By the way I have linux systems
running on 16 MB of memory 420 MB - 1 Gig Drives on AMD 486dx-133's very
happily, so you do not have to spend your whole fortune.  As it is you
could get 2 computer and setup a mini-network.  If you do I'd suggest an
ne2000 compatable network card.  You can get a good generic system for
about a grand nowadays.

Rocommended system:

CPU: Pentium 133 or higher, AMD K5 200, or Cyrix 6x86L 166-200
Memory: 32 MB - 64 MB (EDO or SDRAM)
Hard Drive: 2 drives - 2 GB for Win95, 1 GB for Linux (Both supporting
Ultra-DMA)
Motherboard: supporting Ultra-DMA EIDE, EDO or SDRAM memory, PS/2 mouse
port, ECP/EPP parallel port, 16550 serial ports
Video Card: generic s3 virge with 4 MB of EDO memory
Monitor: 15" with at most 28 dot pitch
Accessories: keyboard, (PS/2) mouse, modem (33.6 or x2), network card
(ne2000)
L2 cache: 256-512 (bigger for faster CPU's)

Minimum system still able to run very acceptibly:

CPU: AMD 486dx-133, Pentium-75, K5 -75, 6x86 -75 (if any)
Memory: 16 MB (EDO)
Hard Drive: 350 MB for linux, 1 Gig for Win95
Motherboard: supporting EIDE, EDO memory, PS/2 mouse port, ECP/EPP parallel
port, 16550 serial ports
Video Card: any generic s3 card with 1 MB of memory or more (virge can
still be gotten here, preference on memory size though)
Accessories: keyboard, (PS/2) mouse, modem? (33.6 or x2), network card?
(ne2000 compatable)
L2 cache: 256

> I am looking into building my own system for college, and of course
> running linux.  I would mainly use it for quake, surfing the net, and
> maybe a little programming.
> I have about $2200 to spend and I was wondering what I should get.  I
> was wondering if ppro 150 overclocked to 166 would be better than a
> pentium 200 mmx also.
> Thanks

> ---
> Chris Kennedy

1. Building Linux Box from Scratch - Hardware Recommendations Needed

You might want to take a look at the configurations available from
some of the "Linux Box Shops."

It *might* prove more economical to buy such a box prebuilt; that of
course denies you the joys of configuration and struggling with making
*sure* it all works together.

Some vendors allow you the ability to configure and price systems
over the web; <http://www.atipa.com> comes first to mind.  That
can give you some useful ideas.

I've got a list of about 50 "Linux VARs" under
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>.

Good luck with however much "fun" you decide to have!
--
"Jedes grosse Unternehmen braucht sein Vietnam, und Microsoft wird
seines mit NT erleben" (Each large company needs its Vietnam, and

2. argv size limit?

3. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)

4. performance comparison of samba, NT server, and netware

5. Linux system building - need a recommendation

6. Performance of Pentium Pro?

7. recommendation on hardware recommendation

8. Incorrect System Time Clock

9. hardware recommendations - new system

10. Any recommendations for single board x86 embedded system hardware?

11. hardware recommendations - new system

12. hardware recommendations for athlon system

13. Help re: PC hardware system needs for Linux/X