LG 8160b dvd-rom will not read dvd

Post by Bill Hallswor » Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:28:55

I'm running Mandrake 9.2/Windows XP Pro.  I have an LG DRD-8160b.  It
will read and play dvd's under XP, as well as music and data cd's.
Under Mandrake, it will read music and data disks, but it cannot read
dvd's.  When I use Mplayer or Xine, it gives me an error, something to
effect that it can't access the medium because there is no data
present or I don't have permission to access it.

I know there is data, and I know I have permission.  Is this related
to the problem with LG cd-rom's?  The latest firmware appears to be
1.01, which is what is on the drive.  Is there another firmware
version or software patch available?

Post by Lenar » Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:49:33

> I'm running Mandrake 9.2/Windows XP Pro.  I have an LG DRD-8160b.  It
> will read and play dvd's under XP, as well as music and data cd's. Under
> Mandrake, it will read music and data disks, but it cannot read dvd's.
> When I use Mplayer or Xine, it gives me an error, something to effect
> that it can't access the medium because there is no data present or I
> don't have permission to access it.

> I know there is data, and I know I have permission.  Is this related to
> the problem with LG cd-rom's?  The latest firmware appears to be 1.01,
> which is what is on the drive.  Is there another firmware version or
> software patch available?

You need to create a symbolic link for mplayer and xine(/dev/dvd). Let's
say your DVD-ROM drive is /dev/hdd to create the symbolic link type, as
root something like; ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/dvd

--
Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

Post by rok » Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:13:58

>>I'm running Mandrake 9.2/Windows XP Pro.  I have an LG DRD-8160b.  It
>>will read and play dvd's under XP, as well as music and data cd's. Under
>>Mandrake, it will read music and data disks, but it cannot read dvd's.
>>When I use Mplayer or Xine, it gives me an error, something to effect
>>that it can't access the medium because there is no data present or I
>>don't have permission to access it.

>>I know there is data, and I know I have permission.  Is this related to
>>the problem with LG cd-rom's?  The latest firmware appears to be 1.01,
>>which is what is on the drive.  Is there another firmware version or
>>software patch available?

> You need to create a symbolic link for mplayer and xine(/dev/dvd). Let's
> say your DVD-ROM drive is /dev/hdd to create the symbolic link type, as
> root something like; ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/dvd

Under mandrake you are only allowed to play DVD's that have no region
protection. Though it is possible to play DVD's with region protection,
but in this case you have to install libdvdcss . It is not in Mandrake
distribution, because it is illegal in some countries and also because
of some patents problem. The same it is with mp3, which will not work by
default.
And in Xine and mplayer you have to define the path to DVD as /dev/dvd.

1. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Hi

Does anyone have any idea when/if Sun will support DVD device
drivers in Solaris ?

Does anyone know when the UDF file system will be supported ?

Not just UDF read, but random write to DVD-RAM and variable length
packet and border zone multi-session write to DVD-R.

We had heard rumors that some support would be in Solaris 8, but it
seems difficult to find confirmation of this on Sun's web
sites.

Failing this, does anyone have any experience with 3rd party drivers
like those from Tracer ?

david
--

Director, Medical Imaging Technologies   http://idt.net/~dclunie/
Quintiles Intelligent Imaging             http://www.i2image.com/

2. Printing, is 2-up possible?

3. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

4. Need awk help (maybe sed)

5. LG CD-RW and DVD-ROM

6. Where r the files "libvga.so.1" & "libvgagl.so.1"?

7. LG dvd-rom&cdrw combo

8. forwarding works for some users!

9. Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM, and/or DVD-RAM?

10. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

11. LG GSA-4163B DVD-RAM read errors

12. Cannot read regular Data/Audio CD from DVD-ROM

13. DVD-ROM drive not recognised