New PPP problem from new modem installation

New PPP problem from new modem installation

Post by Zackary L Tippet » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I say new because this has just occured recently.

I have recently upgraded my server and my workstation to Red Hat 5.0,
and have been very pleased.  Unfortunatly, a while after I had just
begun using RH5, my modem was struck down by a power surge.  OK, no
problem, I just went to my local PC store and bought a new USR 33.6
Sportster modem that was nearly identical to the one I previously had
(An older model USR 33.6 Sportster).

Previously, I had been using the modem in my server, and masquerading to
my client machine, which worked great as well.  Now, I was a bit
cautious as to which machine I wanted to put this modem in, so I put it
in the workstation.  Not much of a change at all.  With this new modem
installed, I have had a problem with my PPP connection staying usable.

For example, whenever I tried downloading the Applixware 4.3 to 4.3.7
upgrade files, the connection would randomly stop in the middle of a
download and just hang.  The modem would still be on line, but the
connection would not be usable, I could not ping anything, ftp anywhere,
or telnet to any machine.  It was useless.  I end up having to hang up,
and re-establish a connection with my ISP.  This happens while I am
using Windows 95 as well, so I know it not a Red Hat problem.  It seems
to be more of a hardware problem.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Maybe I have not set some
modem AT commands right with the &W command.  Actually, I just installed
this modem and went on about my business not changing any of the
defaults.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to fix this problem would be great.  As
it is, this is very useless to have a PPP connection that is
unreliable.  I cannot even count on downloading files over 2MB anymore.

Help,

Zackary Tippett

New PPP problem from new modem installation

Post by Zackary L Tippet » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I don't believe this problem was with the modem, software or anything
related.  This weekend I took the modem out of my workstation and put it
back in the server and it seems to work fine.  Now I am assuming there is a
problem with my workstation motherboard.  Any ideas as to what would cause
something like this?

Zackary Tippett

Post by Matt Kirsc » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 > I don't believe this problem was with the modem, software or anything
 > related.  This weekend I took the modem out of my workstation and put
it
 > back in the server and it seems to work fine.  Now I am assuming
there is a
 > problem with my workstation motherboard.  Any ideas as to what would
cause
 > something like this?

1. Power surge damaged the workstation motherboard.
2. IRQ conflict.

1. SLIP/PPP -->new kernel-->new compiler-->new make

Hello world!

I'm trying to install SLIP or PPP (made no choice yet, any tips?)
Therefore I needed a new kernel and tried to install 1.1.45.
To compile this I needed a new gcc version. I downloaded gcc 2.5.8, libc
4.5.26, binutils 1.9l.4 and tools 2.16.
I un-tar-ed them all and started to compile.
I now need gnu make 3.70 (in stead of 3.69) where can I find this?
I also have problems with libc.so.4, witch is linked to libc.so.4.4.4
It sais: desire minor version 514 and found 404
How do I solve this?
final question: Why isn't there a HOW-TO about these things?

I hope anyone can help me with this.

Greetings and thanx in advance,

Perjan Moors.

2. Info. &| source for FTP

3. new modem ...new problem

4. Question Regarding SYMON utility for system management

5. ppp problem found (I think) solution a new modem?

6. Question about linux architecture

7. New Red Hat 6.1 installation on new big disk

8. FCC and wifi interference resolution

9. New NIC's & new installation on ISA only system

10. New Release: LinkScan 5.5 has new easy installation process

11. New way to do QOS and limit bandwidth with Linux, new site , new software Howto Included

12. NEW NEW NEW

13. NEW NEW NEW!