Re installing Debian on Debian

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Maya » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:57:22



I have installed Debian on a P133, but this installation has too much
garbage in it. I pretty much installed and test ran every program I
could. Un installing, Deleting and maintaining the software database
would take for ever, I would rather reinstall Debian from scratch.
However, the documentation recommends to make the following floppies:
Kernel -- For the Linux Kernel
Root    -- for the root.bin
Rescue -- for the rescue.bin

I have tried booting the system with all these floppies but to no avail.

Can somebody tell me what I should do to re-install Debian on my system.

Thanks in advance.

--
My Computer's Opinion
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();}
if( (desire == computing() ) && (user != smart) )
        {return getMicrosoft();}
if( ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
        {return getLinux();}

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Haroon Da » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 09:41:12




Quote:> <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html>
> I have installed Debian on a P133, but this installation has too much
> garbage in it. I pretty much installed and test ran every program I
> could. Un installing, Deleting and maintaining the software database
> would take for ever, I would rather reinstall Debian from scratch.
> However, the documentation recommends to make the following floppies:
> <br>Kernel -- For the Linux Kernel
> <br>Root??? -- for the root.bin <br>Rescue -- for the
> rescue.bin
> <p>I have tried booting the system with all these floppies but to no
> avail. <p>Can somebody tell me what I should do to re-install Debian on
> my system. <p>Thanks in advance.
> <pre>--?
> My Computer's Opinion
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();} if( (desire ==
> computing() ) && (user != smart) )
> ??????? {return getMicrosoft();} if(
> ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
> ??????? {return getLinux();}</pre>
> ?</html>

Why don't just download the .iso?

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Fabian Fagerhol » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:15:01


Go to
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install
and read carefully. Pay particular attention to Chapter 5.
It should all be clear once you have read that document.

fab


> I have installed Debian on a P133, but this installation has too much
> garbage in it. I pretty much installed and test ran every program I
> could. Un installing, Deleting and maintaining the software database
> would take for ever, I would rather reinstall Debian from scratch.
> However, the documentation recommends to make the following floppies:
> Kernel -- For the Linux Kernel
> Root    -- for the root.bin
> Rescue -- for the rescue.bin

> I have tried booting the system with all these floppies but to no avail.

> Can somebody tell me what I should do to re-install Debian on my system.

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> My Computer's Opinion
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();}
> if( (desire == computing() ) && (user != smart) )
>         {return getMicrosoft();}
> if( ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
>         {return getLinux();}

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Eric P. McC » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:18:55



> Why don't just download the .iso?

It's a P133.  He may well not have a bootable CD drive.

--

  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites
absolutely despise me is about the only thing that can add a positive
spin to this situation."  - Something Awful, 1/11/2001

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Maya » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 23:19:37



> Go to
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install
> and read carefully. Pay particular attention to Chapter 5.
> It should all be clear once you have read that document.

> fab


> > I have installed Debian on a P133, but this installation has too much
> > garbage in it. I pretty much installed and test ran every program I
> > could. Un installing, Deleting and maintaining the software database
> > would take for ever, I would rather reinstall Debian from scratch.
> > However, the documentation recommends to make the following floppies:
> > Kernel -- For the Linux Kernel
> > Root    -- for the root.bin
> > Rescue -- for the rescue.bin

> > I have tried booting the system with all these floppies but to no avail.

> > Can somebody tell me what I should do to re-install Debian on my system.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > My Computer's Opinion
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();}
> > if( (desire == computing() ) && (user != smart) )
> >         {return getMicrosoft();}
> > if( ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
> >         {return getLinux();}

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I did read this
file, but I am stock on this part:
[snip]
5.1 Overview of the Installation Process

This overview highlights the points for which you must choose an installation
media, or
make a choice which will affect which sources you can choose later. The
following steps
will occur:

1.You begin by booting the installation system.
[end snip]

What is the disk that I should use to boot up the system? Kernel, Root, or
Rescue

As stated in my question, I only have a problem finding the disk to boot the
system, I am not expecting any problems with the rest of the installation.

Thanks in advance.

--
My Computer's Opinion
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();}
if( (desire == computing() ) && (user != smart) )
        {return getMicrosoft();}
if( ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
        {return getLinux();}

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Fabian Fagerhol » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 01:48:51



> Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I did read
> this file, but I am stock on this part:
> [snip]
> 5.1 Overview of the Installation Process

> This overview highlights the points for which you must choose an
> installation media, or
> make a choice which will affect which sources you can choose later. The
> following steps
> will occur:

> 1.You begin by booting the installation system.
> [end snip]

> What is the disk that I should use to boot up the system? Kernel, Root,
> or Rescue

There are two disks used for starting the installation program: the
rescue disk, from which you boot, and the root disk which contains a
root file system which is loaded into a RAM disk later.

To my knowledge, the rescue disk is the same as the boot disk, or there
is no disk named "boot disk".

So you should insert the *rescue* disk first.

You should see the SYSLINUX prompt. Just pressing enter will load the
linux kernel with Debian defaults. After a while, you will be prompted
for the root disk. You also need the four driver disks named driver-1,
driver-2, driver-3 and driver-4.

Hope this helps!

fab

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Maya » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 23:33:16


Thanks again.
Well, to make a long story short, I have made the floppies I mentioned
above, including, of course, the rescue and the root floppies.
Now, with the rescue floppy in the driver I boot up the machine. When the
floppy is read, a message saying that the kernel in the floppy is going to
be used to the boot up the machine and that if I want to use the kernel in
the HDD I should remove the floppy and  press RESET. Since this is not the
option I want I let the process continue, effectively booting up and
starting the linux os.
I am really confused with this thing, I'll create a new set of rescue and
root disks and let you know what happened.

TIA


> There are two disks used for starting the installation program: the
> rescue disk, from which you boot, and the root disk which contains a
> root file system which is loaded into a RAM disk later.

> To my knowledge, the rescue disk is the same as the boot disk, or there
> is no disk named "boot disk".

> So you should insert the *rescue* disk first.

> You should see the SYSLINUX prompt. Just pressing enter will load the
> linux kernel with Debian defaults. After a while, you will be prompted
> for the root disk. You also need the four driver disks named driver-1,
> driver-2, driver-3 and driver-4.

> Hope this helps!

> fab

--
My Computer's Opinion
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();}
if( (desire == computing() ) && (user != smart) )
        {return getMicrosoft();}
if( ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
        {return getLinux();}

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Fabian Fagerhol » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 22:52:26


Err...
0. Power down your machine.
1. Insert the rescue floppy.
2. Turn on the machine.
3. Press enter at the SYSLINUX prompt.
4. Insert the root disk when prompted and press enter.
5. Go through the installation, inserting the disks asked for.
6. When the install is complete, remove all floppy disks from all drives
and let the machine reboot.

If this doesn't make it for you, try getting hold of someone who has
installed Debian before and get him/her to your place to show you how.

And no, I don't think "would you like to help me install Debian?" is a
good pick-up line... Or then again... ;)

fab


> Thanks again.
> Well, to make a long story short, I have made the floppies I mentioned
> above, including, of course, the rescue and the root floppies.
> Now, with the rescue floppy in the driver I boot up the machine. When
> the floppy is read, a message saying that the kernel in the floppy is
> going to be used to the boot up the machine and that if I want to use
> the kernel in the HDD I should remove the floppy and  press RESET. Since
> this is not the option I want I let the process continue, effectively
> booting up and starting the linux os.
> I am really confused with this thing, I'll create a new set of rescue
> and root disks and let you know what happened.

> TIA

>     There are two disks used for starting the installation program: the
>     rescue disk, from which you boot, and the root disk which contains a
>     root file system which is loaded into a RAM disk later.

>     To my knowledge, the rescue disk is the same as the boot disk, or there
>     is no disk named "boot disk".

>     So you should insert the *rescue* disk first.

>     You should see the SYSLINUX prompt. Just pressing enter will load the
>     linux kernel with Debian defaults. After a while, you will be prompted
>     for the root disk. You also need the four driver disks named driver-1,
>     driver-2, driver-3 and driver-4.

>     Hope this helps!

>     fab

> --
> My Computer's Opinion
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> if( desire == play_games() ){return getNintendo64();}
> if( (desire == computing() ) && (user != smart) )
>         {return getMicrosoft();}
> if( ( desire == computing() ) && (user == smart) )
>         {return getLinux();}

 
 
 

Re installing Debian on Debian

Post by Adam Maje » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:54:10



> Thanks again.
> Well, to make a long story short, I have made the floppies I mentioned
> above, including, of course, the rescue and the root floppies.
> Now, with the rescue floppy in the driver I boot up the machine. When
> the floppy is read, a message saying that the kernel in the floppy is
> going to be used to the boot up the machine and that if I want to use
> the kernel in the HDD I should remove the floppy and  press RESET. Since
> this is not the option I want I let the process continue, effectively
> booting up and starting the linux os.
> I am really confused with this thing, I'll create a new set of rescue
> and root disks and let you know what happened.

Just keep going - it will use the kernel on the floppy to boot.. That's
all. Here, I can have 4 different version of kernel in my /boot
directory and I can boot any one of them and have the same system...

When installing, you need to install the kernel [ie. every floppy until
you get to the Base System Installation]. At Base System installation, I
think you can just mount your root directory and the rest of partitions
if you have more than one ... [don't fdisk your partitions or something
:-] unless you don't want to keep some partitions or something]....
To boot directly into Debian and still have other partitions available,
you need to install lilo. Read man lilo and man lilo.conf on information
how to setup things there. There are examples in /etc/lilo.conf

Just make sure if you change something in the boot process [like kernel
image or even /etc/lilo.conf file] before you reboot you need to run
"lilo" or you might not be able to boot... Running lilo will install the
new MBR [master boot record] with the new information....

Now this might be some information overload, so don't be hesitent to ask
more questions.

Sincerely,
Adam