linux on 2nd hard drive

Post by Dream Ki » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I seem to have a strange incompatibility with my system (Pentium 166) and the
Redhat 4.2 slackware that I'm using.  Basically, LILO won't boot my computer -
it freezes.  Furthemore, if I put LILO on my master hard drive, it destroys my
MDR (changes my Primary DOS partition to a NON-DOS partition).  a friend has
said that this might be because I am putting the Linux OS on the slave drive
rather than the master.  Could this be it or does Packard Bell have something
against Linux?  Any ideas?

        Thanks,
                Tom

linux on 2nd hard drive

Post by Michael » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

No.. I have Linux on hdd, which is a slave.  I also use it on a
Packard Bell. an old one, however
Um.. Say, you have Linux on a slave drv.. No LILO on MBR.. I doubt if you
can boot Linux directly at all. (Pls correct me if I am wrong)

Speak of your problem on installing LILO to MBR.. Did you get any error
message while setting up LILO?

Maybe you want to try loadlin to boot Linux from DOS.  I do both: LILO
and loadlin

--
Michael

| http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/8116 |

linux on 2nd hard drive

Post by Abe » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm running it in hdb, and just use lilo in boot sector
some warning when running lilo, but managed to boot anyway
using boot manager in hda MBR :>

>No.. I have Linux on hdd, which is a slave.  I also use it on a
>Packard Bell. an old one, however
>Um.. Say, you have Linux on a slave drv.. No LILO on MBR.. I doubt if you
>can boot Linux directly at all. (Pls correct me if I am wrong)

>Speak of your problem on installing LILO to MBR.. Did you get any error
>message while setting up LILO?

>Maybe you want to try loadlin to boot Linux from DOS.  I do both: LILO
>and loadlin

>::> I seem to have a strange incompatibility with my system (Pentium 166) and the
>::> Redhat 4.2 slackware that I'm using.  Basically, LILO won't boot my computer -
>::> it freezes.  Furthemore, if I put LILO on my master hard drive, it destroys my
>::> MDR (changes my Primary DOS partition to a NON-DOS partition).  a friend has
>::> said that this might be because I am putting the Linux OS on the slave drive
>::> rather than the master.  Could this be it or does Packard Bell have something
>::> against Linux?  Any ideas?

>::>         Thanks,
>::>                 Tom

>--
>Michael
>+------------------------------------------------+

>| http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/8116 |
>+------------------------------------------------+

1. Linux install on 2nd hard drive.

I would like to install Linux using the umsdos root disk onto a second hard
disk.  Here is my configuration:

Gateway P5-60
IDE controller #1:     540M Disk         Dos drive C
                       NEC-260 CDROM     Dos Drive F

IDE controller #2:     1030M Disk
                        600M             Dos logical D
                        430M             Dos logical E

I would like to install Linux on drive E.  I am using slackware, with an
updated kernel (1.1.80).  When I boot the boot disk in the floppy, the system
recognizes all the disks.

     Linux               Dos
     -----               ---
     hda                 540M Drive C
     hdb                 CDROM Drive F
     hdc < hdc6, hdc7 >  600M Drive D, and 430M Drive E

When I run 'setup' from the umsdos root disk, I want to make /dev/hdc7 the
location to install Linux.  I have run the script MAKEDEV.ide to create the
node for the second IDE controller.  In the end, I would like to boot to Linux
only if I use the boot disk created in 'setup', otherwise, boot to DOS.

Does anyone have an usefull information?

Thanks in advance

Chris.

2. Apache/SSLeay CAs?

3. is it possible to install linux on 2nd hard drive?

4. Remove old user mail from system - HOW?

5. Linux on my 2nd hard drive?

6. looking for hierarchical file distribution system

7. Boot linux from 2nd hard drive

8. Wyse-50 terminal

9. Installing Linux on 2nd hard drive

10. Linux on 2nd Hard Drive?

11. How to add 2nd hard drive to existing Linux

12. Linux on 2nd hard drive

13. How to install Linux to 2nd hard drive?