LINUX AND RAID5

Post by vuru » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:13:04

 hello,

There is RAid-capable SCSI cards and raid-incapable SCSI cards!
am I wrong?
I try to handle RAID 5 with linux red hat 7.0.
It seems that the 6 scsi drives are seen by the linux OS....
i seen sda, sdb.....in dmesg file :)))))))
how could i sure test that the raid is nicely handled and configured?

Can you give me references or advices to configure it!

thanks a lot.

--
vuru

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

LINUX AND RAID5

Post by Karl-Heinz Herrman » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:50:39

> There is RAid-capable SCSI cards and raid-incapable SCSI cards!
> am I wrong?

?? Never heard of this distinction.
There are:
* RAID-Controllers
* SCSI-Controllers of which some will
        - perform better
        - or worse

But with Software Raid you can even combine partitions on SCSI and IDE
drives.

Quote:> I try to handle RAID 5 with linux red hat 7.0.
> It seems that the 6 scsi drives are seen by the linux OS....
> i seen sda, sdb.....in dmesg file :)))))))
> how could i sure test that the raid is nicely handled and configured?

If its configured you get the info's with
cat \proc\mdstat

There it will tell you if all are running, how many backup partitons
there are and so on.

If you want to test the performance get some benchmark program like
"bonnie" and compare different configurations.

For general Info there is a quite comprehensive Linux
Software-Raid-HowTo.

K.-H.

--
-----------------------------------
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

-----------------------------------

LINUX AND RAID5

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:58:02

> There is RAid-capable SCSI cards and raid-incapable SCSI cards!
> am I wrong?

You are at least partly wrong. You will be able to use software raid
with any SCSI card. There are also rather expensive hardware raid cards
with their own CPU and some memory for cache that use SCSI disks.

Quote:> I try to handle RAID 5 with linux red hat 7.0.

RAID5 means parity which means that it will need some CPU power. This is
where a hardware raid would be more useful. With raid 0 which only is
striping and no security software raid gives equal performance for a
much cheaper price.

Quote:> It seems that the 6 scsi drives are seen by the linux OS....
> i seen sda, sdb.....in dmesg file :)))))))
> how could i sure test that the raid is nicely handled and configured?

> Can you give me references or advices to configure it!

For hardware raid, read your manual. Linux will probably see all disks
as only one SCSI disk. For software raid, read the Software-RAID
miniHowTo.

regards Henrik

1. Transfer old Raid5 on new Raid5 ?

Hello,

I tried to change the actual Raid5 (4 disks) by another Raid5 (3 disks). I
tried with msysb command to transfer (Aix and data). But it failed.

Anyone have a good idea for transfert Aix and data???

Thanks
Yves

2. 3com509/slackware/PCI net trouble

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. 3Com Megahertz Ethernet Driver

5. raid5 as a module in linux-2.5.7-pre2

6. USB Cable Modem

7. RAID5 on RedHat Linux 6.2

8. Handling NMI in a kernel module

9. ReiserFS on RAID5 Linux-2.4 - speed problem

10. Linux RAID5 Problems with 2.2.0-pre7

11. raid5 and linux

12. Linux & RAID5

13. linux and raid5