No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)

Post by Frank Paehlk » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

are there any kernel patches which enable busmaster DMA with the ALI
(Aladdin) M5229 chipset? On my system (K6-2/400, 128 MB RAM, Asus P5A,
IBM DTTA 10GB), disk access from Linux is terribly slow, which causes
very long startup times for e.g. KDE or Netscape.

On startup, the kernel reports something like the following, though DMA
is definitely enabled in the BIOS setup:

PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
PCI-IDE: ide0: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)
PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
PCI-IDE: ide1: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)

Any pointers to source code or any workarounds are welcome

Bye,
Frank

No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)

Post by Berna » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Try this: http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma
The patches are beta and not always work: good luck.

> Hi,
> are there any kernel patches which enable busmaster DMA with the ALI
> (Aladdin) M5229 chipset? On my system (K6-2/400, 128 MB RAM, Asus P5A,
> IBM DTTA 10GB), disk access from Linux is terribly slow, which causes
> very long startup times for e.g. KDE or Netscape.
> On startup, the kernel reports something like the following, though DMA
> is definitely enabled in the BIOS setup:
> PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
> PCI-IDE: ide0: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)
> PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
> PCI-IDE: ide1: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)
> Any pointers to source code or any workarounds are welcome
> Bye,
> Frank

Bernat Ginard

No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)

Post by Joceli Maye » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Try frist:
/sbin/hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda
/sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

I noticed a performance increase from 7MB/s to 10 MB/s using hdparm -t
/dev/hda benchmark.

I have a Asus p5a-b with ali chipset which is also not support for dma/udma
purposes.
If you get your system working with that patches, please, let me know.
I'll appreciate very much if you send your results, either good or bad.
As usual, make a good backup before try ......

No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)

Post by Frank Paehlk » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> I have a Asus p5a-b with ali chipset which is also not support for dma/udma
> purposes.
> If you get your system working with that patches, please, let me know.
> I'll appreciate very much if you send your results, either good or bad.
> As usual, make a good backup before try ......

as far as I can tell by now, everything seems to work fine - and
considerably faster than before. Many thanks to Bernat for his hint!

Bye,
Frank

No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)

Post by Peter Ste » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Try frist:
>/sbin/hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda
>/sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

>I noticed a performance increase from 7MB/s to 10 MB/s using hdparm -t
>/dev/hda benchmark.

>I have a Asus p5a-b with ali chipset which is also not support for dma/udma
>purposes.
>If you get your system working with that patches, please, let me know.
>I'll appreciate very much if you send your results, either good or bad.
>As usual, make a good backup before try ......

You are indeed getting DMA performance which is working for me as well
(~11 MB/s), but UDMA (14-16 MB/s) does not work. UDMA read operations
complete successfully, but UDMA writes always fail and the driver gets
kicked into PIO mode!

Peter Stein

No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)

Post by Peter Ste » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>are there any kernel patches which enable busmaster DMA with the ALI
>(Aladdin) M5229 chipset? On my system (K6-2/400, 128 MB RAM, Asus P5A,
>IBM DTTA 10GB), disk access from Linux is terribly slow, which causes
>very long startup times for e.g. KDE or Netscape.

>On startup, the kernel reports something like the following, though DMA
>is definitely enabled in the BIOS setup:

>PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
>PCI-IDE: ide0: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)
>PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
>PCI-IDE: ide1: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)

>Any pointers to source code or any workarounds are welcome

>Bye,
>Frank

Check out www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma

I'm currently running kernel 2.2.9 with this patch, however
UDMA does NOT work. The good news is that DMA does work
without problems so I'm happy since this is obviously much
better than PIO. I've sent the authors details on the UDMA
problem on several occasions, but have not gotten a positive
response. One of the authors acknowledged that he was seeing
problems with UDMA as well and that is the current status as
far as I know.

Peter Stein

Post by ben bau » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>>Try frist:
>>/sbin/hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda
>>/sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

>>I noticed a performance increase from 7MB/s to 10 MB/s using hdparm -t
>>/dev/hda benchmark.

>>I have a Asus p5a-b with ali chipset which is also not support for dma/udma
>>purposes.
>>If you get your system working with that patches, please, let me know.
>>I'll appreciate very much if you send your results, either good or bad.
>>As usual, make a good backup before try ......

>You are indeed getting DMA performance which is working for me as well
>(~11 MB/s), but UDMA (14-16 MB/s) does not work. UDMA read operations
>complete successfully, but UDMA writes always fail and the driver gets
>kicked into PIO mode!

Ouch... I have been concerned about my disc performance
kernel 2.2.6 Asus BX board.

hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

 /dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 32.00 seconds = 2.00 MB/sec

Yuk!

Does this help?

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: WDC AC28400R, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CD-ROM 36X/AKW, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: WDC AC28400R, 8063MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1027/255/63, UDMA
hdc: ATAPI 36X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
Partition check:
 hda:hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hda: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success

1. ASUS P5A mboard, 2.2.3 with DMA for ALi M15xx IDE access?

  Hi guys,

My Linux box has the ASUS P5A motherboard (no sound) and is running the
2.2.3 kernel (AMD K6II-3D/350).

When Linux boots, it can't recognize the IDE controller (ALi M15xx chipset),
so it turns off DMA.  Has anyone solved this problem?
Is anyone working on ALi M15xx support for the Linux kernel?
I have tried including ALi M14xx support, but I haven't checked out enabling
it through kernel boot/runtime parameters, so I might have missed something
there.

Please CC your reply to my mailbox as I don't read this newsgroup regularly
and might miss your posting.  Thanks in advance,

  Lars J

2. remote login and start an X Session?

3. Emacs - text editor

4. UDMA under Linux 2.2.5 on Asus P5A-b (Ali M15xx chipset)

5. Search information about bdftopcf

6. ASUS P5A ALI M1541 chipset

7. HARDWARE/video: Hercules PRO ISA (W32i) ?

8. IDE DMA problem on ALi chipset

9. DMA fails for Ali15x3 chipset (was Re: Knoppix und ALi M15X3 Chipsatz: Kein DMA)

10. UDMA and Asus P5A(Ali Alladin chip)

11. P5A (ali aladdin v chipset) + kernel 2.2.0 pre5

12. Trouble with ASUS P5A on-board IDE & Unified IDE patchkit