Modems

Modems

Post by Doug Olso » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00



So far my Winmodem is the only piece of hardware that Red Hat 5.2
rejects on my system.  I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any
Linux-compatible modems and the person at the peripherals counter
directed me to the technicians, who said "read the boxes."  I didn't see
ANY boxes that specifically said the modem was Linux-compatible and most
specified "Windows 95/98/NT" even if they didn't say they were
Winmodems.

Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA  BTW,
I own an Aptiva 2140, if that's an issue.

 
 
 

Modems

Post by The Grunewald » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00


Douge,
The easiest way to get a Linux compatible modem is to get an external modem.
After that, get an ISA bus modem. PCI bus modems are sometimes plug and play
or are winmodems (or both?).
Recently, there was a post about what descriptive words to avoid. Certainly
plug-and-play and Win modem. Maybe somebody can give us a more complete
list.
I purchased a Best Data internal modem at CompUSA. It works with Linux. If I
get another modem, it will be external.
Good Luck,
Jim

> So far my Winmodem is the only piece of hardware that Red Hat 5.2
> rejects on my system.  I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any
> Linux-compatible modems and the person at the peripherals counter
> directed me to the technicians, who said "read the boxes."  I didn't see
> ANY boxes that specifically said the modem was Linux-compatible and most
> specified "Windows 95/98/NT" even if they didn't say they were
> Winmodems.

> Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
> internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA  BTW,
> I own an Aptiva 2140, if that's an issue.


 
 
 

Modems

Post by fancis » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00


Check this site:    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

>Douge,
>The easiest way to get a Linux compatible modem is to get an external
modem.
>After that, get an ISA bus modem. PCI bus modems are sometimes plug and
play
>or are winmodems (or both?).
>Recently, there was a post about what descriptive words to avoid. Certainly
>plug-and-play and Win modem. Maybe somebody can give us a more complete
>list.
>I purchased a Best Data internal modem at CompUSA. It works with Linux. If
I
>get another modem, it will be external.
>Good Luck,
>Jim


>> So far my Winmodem is the only piece of hardware that Red Hat 5.2
>> rejects on my system.  I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any
>> Linux-compatible modems and the person at the peripherals counter
>> directed me to the technicians, who said "read the boxes."  I didn't see
>> ANY boxes that specifically said the modem was Linux-compatible and most
>> specified "Windows 95/98/NT" even if they didn't say they were
>> Winmodems.

>> Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
>> internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA  BTW,
>> I own an Aptiva 2140, if that's an issue.

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Eric Bryan » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00


Doug,
   There is an extensive list of Linux-compatable modems at
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
I recently purchased a "Creative Modem Blaster" model DI5601  at Best Buy
for $69.99, which works great with Linux. The website above is some 66 pages
or so, and I extracted all of the acceptable modems from the list and
compiled it into 3 pages of text -- useful for when you go modem shopping.

> So far my Winmodem is the only piece of hardware that Red Hat 5.2
> rejects on my system.  I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any
> Linux-compatible modems and the person at the peripherals counter
> directed me to the technicians, who said "read the boxes."  I didn't see
> ANY boxes that specifically said the modem was Linux-compatible and most
> specified "Windows 95/98/NT" even if they didn't say they were
> Winmodems.

> Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
> internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA  BTW,
> I own an Aptiva 2140, if that's an issue.

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Andrew Come » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>Douge,
>The easiest way to get a Linux compatible modem is to get an external modem.
>After that, get an ISA bus modem. PCI bus modems are sometimes plug and play
>or are winmodems (or both?).

This is kind of misinforming...
You have to avoid

1. all PCI modems (things may change soon),
2. external modems with USB (other external modems will
work, but do not bump into certain older modems with RPI).

As to ISA modems, these could be Plug-and-Play (which is not
fatal, although will take more time to set up) and winmodems
or controlloerless modems or softmodems or ...

Quote:>> Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
>> internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA

The list of _vendors_ who sell Linux-compatible internal modems
is at
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

Expect to pay below $50 for everything and wait about a week until
it arrives.

Cheese,
Andrew

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Alle » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Q:  Do you have to shop there?  (Either of those places)  Or can you consider
shopping elsewhere?  There are many places to get a modem from, and you may be
better served by shopping from the web?  I know that the retail version of the
Best Data modems list on the outside of the box if they are "Controller based",
but the other brands are probably not so forthcoming with anything but
misleading info.  Also, any modem you can get over-the-counter at either of
those places is likely to cost $20 more that buying the same model online, and
the only ones that I saw on their shelves that I was sure would work under Linux
were the really expensive ones...  Even worse, most of the staff, including the
techs, just don't have a clue about any non M$ support.  (There ARE a few
exceptions I've found, but not many...)


>So far my Winmodem is the only piece of hardware that Red Hat 5.2
>rejects on my system.  I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any
>Linux-compatible modems and the person at the peripherals counter
>directed me to the technicians, who said "read the boxes."  I didn't see
>ANY boxes that specifically said the modem was Linux-compatible and most
>specified "Windows 95/98/NT" even if they didn't say they were
>Winmodems.

>Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
>internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA  BTW,
>I own an Aptiva 2140, if that's an issue.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Nevad » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00


I know that WinModems do not work with Linux. Also that most PCI modems
are WinModems.
Has anyone found a PCI modem that is not a WinModem and will work in
Linux? I prefer to use a internal modem instead of a external modem. I
have no open ISA slots in my computer. If you know of a PCI modem that
works, please post the manufacturer and part number of the modem.
Thanks.
 
 
 

Modems

Post by Andrew Come » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00



>I know that WinModems do not work with Linux. Also that most PCI modems
>are WinModems.
>Has anyone found a PCI modem that is not a WinModem and will work in
>Linux? I prefer to use a internal modem instead of a external modem. I
>have no open ISA slots in my computer. If you know of a PCI modem that
>works, please post the manufacturer and part number of the modem.
>Thanks.

So far, no PCI modem has been known to work under Linux.
I am sure that if there were controller-based PCI modems which
would work under Linux, they would cost more than conventional
ones, while hardly does modem benefit from PCI bus
(there is no benefit for compressed data, and there could be
AT MOST 40% benefit for plain text, assuming 52000bps connection
and 3 to 1 compression).

Are you sure you should not upgrade any of other ISA cards?

Andrew
--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem
Expect to pay below $50.

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Stealt » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Allen
Go to Redhats website and look at the list of compatable products.
You will find alot of differant modems ETC. there.
Tom

>>So far my Winmodem is the only piece of hardware that Red Hat 5.2
>>rejects on my system.  I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any
>>Linux-compatible modems and the person at the peripherals counter
>>directed me to the technicians, who said "read the boxes."  I didn't see
>>ANY boxes that specifically said the modem was Linux-compatible and most
>>specified "Windows 95/98/NT" even if they didn't say they were
>>Winmodems.

>>Could someone direct to a list of compatible modems, preferably
>>internal, that I'm likely to find at my local Best Buy or CompUSA  BTW,
>>I own an Aptiva 2140, if that's an issue.
>Allen

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Michal Jaegerma » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00


: So far, no PCI modem has been known to work under Linux.

This is NOT correct.  Few days ago I just finished hacking with Jack
of Spades pcmcia ethernet/modem combo card for laptops.  I know from a
personal experience that both modem and ethernet work under Linux and
this is definitely a PCI modem.

I heard also about other PCI modems with a Lucent chipset which work
under Linux just fine - although I did not see them with my eyes.
The key factor seems to be if UART (simulated or otherwise) is provided
by a hardware - and this is ok with Linux - or as a big .dll library.
In the later case you have a winmodem on your hands.

  Michal

 
 
 

Modems

Post by Andrew Come » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Hi Michael!



>: So far, no PCI modem has been known to work under Linux.

>This is NOT correct.  Few days ago I just finished hacking with Jack
>of Spades pcmcia ethernet/modem combo card for laptops.  I know from a
>personal experience that both modem and ethernet work under Linux and
>this is definitely a PCI modem.

I did not get it: Was it a PCI modem or a PCMCIA card?

Quote:>I heard also about other PCI modems with a Lucent chipset which work
>under Linux just fine - although I did not see them with my eyes.

We have have _heard_ about these modems (as well as we have heard about
Martians, Bermuda triangle, and Nessy). This story goes on for more than
a month, but the modem is still a ghost. Yet another link is
http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CnXvKqbKbyteYnJq

I am pretty sure that as long as it is a hardware-based modem, it will
run sooner or later. But _who_ runs this modem on a Linux box? As long
as nobody runs it, I do not want to hear that _it works_ instead of
_it might work_. Let us just wait until we hear some confirmed story.

Best,
Andrew

Btw, this modem is to cost around $100 (although it is said to have some
cool call waiting..). No much reason to choose this thing over
a cable modem (unless one has free internet access).

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem
Expect to pay below $50.

 
 
 

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Pop3 server not found?

3. Modems, modems, modems

4. groff file

5. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

6. RUNAWAY PROCESS!!

7. modems modems modems

8. PANIC - need assistance

9. Modem, modem, modem

10. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

11. Changing from Internal Modem to External Modem

12. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

13. Modem Driver: Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5791