Help needed with a Hayes Accura PCI modem

Help needed with a Hayes Accura PCI modem

Post by Peter Walke » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 05:03:25

Before anyone say's it, I know!
I actually phoned Hayes technical support and asked them if this modem was
compatible with Linux and they said that it was and that they would email me
some instructions on how to set it up, which they did.

However, after following the instructions it does not work.  Under windows
the modem installs on com port 3 with an irq of 17 and i/o port ecd8-ecdf
but under Linux Red Hat v7.0 it installs as irq 17 with i/o port ecd8.

Hayes instructions suggest to make sure the com ports in the BIOS have real
address (i.e. 3f8 and 2f8) and then do the following command
setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0xecd8 irq 17 (where x is the serial
port that it is connected to) and then use minicom to test it.  I used ttyS2
and then tried ttyS3.  The i/o and irq were discovered in the /proc/pci just
as they said they would be.

So my questions are
1) should I disable my com ports in the BIOS (I don't use them for
anything)?
2) how do I know that the modem has installed on com3?
3) do I need to enable any special settings in the kernel and recompile it?
4) am I supposed to use the Lucent win modem that I have heard off and if so
how?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Pep

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:22:37

> I actually phoned Hayes technical support and asked them if this modem was
> compatible with Linux and they said that it was and that they would email me
> some instructions on how to set it up, which they did.

Well done.

Quote:> However, after following the instructions it does not work.  Under windows
> the modem installs on com port 3 with an irq of 17 and i/o port ecd8-ecdf
> but under Linux Red Hat v7.0 it installs as irq 17 with i/o port ecd8.

Those look to me exactly the same! Why do you say "but"?

Quote:> Hayes instructions suggest to make sure the com ports in the BIOS have real
> address (i.e. 3f8 and 2f8) and then do the following command

Good idea. That'll keep them out of the way.

Quote:> setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0xecd8 irq 17 (where x is the serial

Good idea. How come you have 17 IRQs, btw? Is this a dual machine?

Quote:> port that it is connected to) and then use minicom to test it.  I used ttyS2
> and then tried ttyS3.  The i/o and irq were discovered in the /proc/pci just
> as they said they would be.

Discovered? What do you mean? Nothing should change. You're just
telling the kernel where to poke the bits.

What was the result of your test with minicom? You did set minicom up,
right? What happens when you just do the old

   tail -f /dev/ttyS2 &
   echo ATZ > /dev/ttyS2

?

Quote:> 1) should I disable my com ports in the BIOS (I don't use them for
> anything)?

You can. But hayes idea of keeping them  well out the way was a good
one.

Quote:> 2) how do I know that the modem has installed on com3?

What do you mean? If the modem is in your pci slot, then it is
installed!

Quote:> 3) do I need to enable any special settings in the kernel and recompile it?

You need a serial driver at least .. and one that can talk to a weird
io address like that.

Quote:> 4) am I supposed to use the Lucent win modem [driver] that I have heard off and if so
> how?

Why? Is it a lucent winmodem that you have? I would have thought hayes
would have told you, if so! Check what it says in /proc/pci.

Peter

Quote:> Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
> thanks,
> Pep

Peter T. Breuer                   MA CASM PhD. Ing., Asoc. Prof.

Dpto. Ingenieria                  Tel: +34 91 624 91 80
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid  Fax: +34 91 624 94 30/65
Butarque 15, E-28911 Leganes      URL: http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb
Spain

Post by Mikhail Peko » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:36:46

|> > setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0xecd8 irq 17 (where x is the serial
|>
|> Good idea. How come you have 17 IRQs, btw? Is this a dual machine?

I think one thing is missing here:

# ln -s /dev/ttySx /dev/modem

HTH
Mikhail