Newbie to Slackware, Oldie to DOS.

Post by PaulT » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Sorry for this double-posting:

In the past, I've grown up to computers with UNIX systems, etc.

Now that I've purchased "The Complete LINUX Kit" with the CD
having Linux v1.1 kernel, X Windows System Version 11 Release 6
and a whole bunch of other stuff, by SYBEX.

I installed MSDOS 6.22. Then installed Mitsumi CD drivers. I have
a (Gateway) P5-120 and 32MB of ram and a 125MB IDE (St3144at)
and a 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive. It seems adaquate for Linux, so
far. No "Windows" anything on the previously blank drive.

I go to the D:\ drive (CD) and ran "rawrite" to make the two boot
disks, that worked. Then booted them both. Next I booted and
logged in as root. Typed "setup" to install the Linux system. And
tried to figure out what next, it can't find the CD!

Amazing! What gives?

I think it's a mitsumi type. It is a master on the secondary IDE
connector.

I have the "Gateway CD install disk" that goes with the CD and
used that to install the DOS drivers. DOS finds the CD on
power-up, although it does complain that there's a "hardware
conflict" and have to hit ESC on every power-up/reset. This
"conflict" appeared when I plugged in the CD drive. It's on its
own cable by itself separate from the IDE cable.

Paul T. Barton (use NitrOS-9 too)

Newbie to Slackware, Oldie to DOS.

Post by xiangol » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

I think that you'd have to make a boot disk before you can use the CD

Live long and prosper.

Xiangola

> Sorry for this double-posting:

> In the past, I've grown up to computers with UNIX systems, etc.

> Now that I've purchased "The Complete LINUX Kit" with the CD
> having Linux v1.1 kernel, X Windows System Version 11 Release 6
> and a whole bunch of other stuff, by SYBEX.

> I installed MSDOS 6.22. Then installed Mitsumi CD drivers. I have
> a (Gateway) P5-120 and 32MB of ram and a 125MB IDE (St3144at)
> and a 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive. It seems adaquate for Linux, so
> far. No "Windows" anything on the previously blank drive.

> I go to the D:\ drive (CD) and ran "rawrite" to make the two boot
> disks, that worked. Then booted them both. Next I booted and
> logged in as root. Typed "setup" to install the Linux system. And
> tried to figure out what next, it can't find the CD!

> Amazing! What gives?

> I think it's a mitsumi type. It is a master on the secondary IDE
> connector.

> I have the "Gateway CD install disk" that goes with the CD and
> used that to install the DOS drivers. DOS finds the CD on
> power-up, although it does complain that there's a "hardware
> conflict" and have to hit ESC on every power-up/reset. This
> "conflict" appeared when I plugged in the CD drive. It's on its
> own cable by itself separate from the IDE cable.

> Paul T. Barton (use NitrOS-9 too)

*

Newbie to Slackware, Oldie to DOS.

Post by PaulT » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

If you did read my message, I did. the CD becomes un-available in
Linux but is OK in DOS.

Paul

Newbie to Slackware, Oldie to DOS.

Post by Branimir Maksimovi » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Sorry for this double-posting:

> In the past, I've grown up to computers with UNIX systems, etc.

> Now that I've purchased "The Complete LINUX Kit" with the CD
> having Linux v1.1 kernel, X Windows System Version 11 Release 6
> and a whole bunch of other stuff, by SYBEX.

> I installed MSDOS 6.22. Then installed Mitsumi CD drivers. I have
> a (Gateway) P5-120 and 32MB of ram and a 125MB IDE (St3144at)
> and a 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive. It seems adaquate for Linux, so
> far. No "Windows" anything on the previously blank drive.

I think that 125 MB will not be enough for whole installation.
I have installed Slackware 7.0(full installation) and I've got 1GB of hard
drive space occupied. But you can choose basic stuff
(no X and window managers , etc), so it can fit.

Quote:

> I go to the D:\ drive (CD) and ran "rawrite" to make the two boot
> disks, that worked. Then booted them both. Next I booted and
> logged in as root. Typed "setup" to install the Linux system. And
> tried to figure out what next, it can't find the CD!

> Amazing! What gives?

> I think it's a mitsumi type. It is a master on the secondary IDE
> connector.

Nope. I've installed slackware on similar configuration without any
problems. Secondary IDE controller (separate cable), Mitsumi on it.
I think that you have chosen wrong kernel to boot or maybe
it is a BIOS thing.
Try to mount CD first.
mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom (or similar).
Then setup.
BTW, did you run fdisk or cfdisk  (not dos fdisk) after booting to setup
linux partition first?
If you did not, your problems are quite explainable.

Quote:

> I have the "Gateway CD install disk" that goes with the CD and
> used that to install the DOS drivers. DOS finds the CD on
> power-up, although it does complain that there's a "hardware
> conflict" and have to hit ESC on every power-up/reset. This
> "conflict" appeared when I plugged in the CD drive. It's on its
> own cable by itself separate from the IDE cable.

Can't say much more, except that it can be BIOS or cabling
(check whether Mitsumi jumper settings are ok ),
and try to make linux partition (and swap partition), before setup.

Greetings, Bane.

1. Linux oldie, Solaris7 newbie Questions?

Hi all, I've been using Linux for several years now and thought that
the transition to Solaris would be easy, wrong.

The primary problem that I've been having is that I can mount a floppy
with files on it but I can't copy them to my Solaris partition. I've
tried the following:

After mounting the floppy and opening a terminal and doing a ls to
verify that the files are there,
cp gzip.tar /home
mv gzip.tar /home

I don't remember the exact error but it's something like operation not
permitted. (I am logged in as root)

Like I said this works in Linux, is this the correct format for
copying or moving files? If not help would be appreciated.

Also when I try to setup my printer (Hp 692c deskjet) and try to print
a document I get several pages of what looks like a configuration
file. I have tried to setup as a Hp printer and a Postscript printer
with no success.

Thanks in advance

RV

2. Does hotmole still work with MS HoTMaiL

3. KDE newbie / X & Unix oldie

4. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 7681023107

5. Slackware 96 newbie to newbie

6. Bad magic number

7. Oldie but goodie - TFTP devil daemon.

8. Running SCO-Xenix 286 binaries on Linux

9. Microsoft Song (sung to the turn, oh what a wonderful world) a oldie but a goodie

10. oldie but goodie

11. Oldie but goody....

12. An Oldie, But A Goodie