zip drive

Post by ivan danici » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:53:34

Hello all,frequently, when trying to mount a zip disk I get "..not a valid
block device" and when trying to umount I get "device is busy" and I can't
shift it. What to do? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

zip drive

Post by chuc » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 06:56:50

Quote:> Hello all,frequently, when trying to mount a zip disk I get "..not a valid
> block device" and when trying to umount I get "device is busy" and I can't
> shift it. What to do? Any comments gratefully received.
> Ivan

what type of format do you have on the disk? What type do you mount it as?
what happens when you run an (c)disk on /dev/sda (if that is the zip disk
drive)?

zip drive

Post by ivan danici » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:20:57

>> Hello all,frequently, when trying to mount a zip disk I get "..not a
>> valid block device" and when trying to umount I get "device is busy" and
>> I can't shift it. What to do? Any comments gratefully received.
>> Ivan

> what type of format do you have on the disk? What type do you mount it as?
> what happens when you run an (c)disk on /dev/sda (if that is the zip disk
> drive)?

Hello Chuck, the disks are "PC formatted", mounted as VFAT (/dev/sdb4). I
don't understand the last part of your question. The relevant line in fstab
is
/dev/sdb4            /mnt/zip      vfat       rw,user,auto 0 0
It's a USB thing.
Ivan

zip drive

Post by Bill Marcu » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:55:03

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:20:57 GMT, ivan danicic

>>> Hello all,frequently, when trying to mount a zip disk I get "..not a
>>> valid block device" and when trying to umount I get "device is busy" and
>>> I can't shift it. What to do? Any comments gratefully received.
>>> Ivan

>> what type of format do you have on the disk? What type do you mount it as?
>> what happens when you run an (c)disk on /dev/sda (if that is the zip disk
>> drive)?
> Hello Chuck, the disks are "PC formatted", mounted as VFAT (/dev/sdb4). I
> don't understand the last part of your question. The relevant line in fstab
> is
> /dev/sdb4            /mnt/zip      vfat       rw,user,auto 0 0
> It's a USB thing.
> Ivan

When you have trouble umounting a drive, it's usually because some
process has a file or directory open.  Use lsof to find the process.
If you have trouble mounting a zip disk, it could be the notorious
"click of death".

--
BOFH excuse #188:

..disk or the processor is on fire.

zip drive

Post by chuc » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:13:46

>> what type of format do you have on the disk? What type do you mount it as?
>> what happens when you run an (c)disk on /dev/sda (if that is the zip disk
>> drive)?
> Hello Chuck, the disks are "PC formatted", mounted as VFAT (/dev/sdb4). I
> don't understand the last part of your question. The relevant line in fstab

does the partition show as extended? Zip drives have to have a partition
created on them and THEN formatted for some reason, probably the size.

Quote:> is
> /dev/sdb4            /mnt/zip      vfat       rw,user,auto 0 0
> It's a USB thing.

I take it that the drive light flash(es) when you mount it. If so the USB is
not the problem. One of the following is: 1) bad partition and can't read as
a result. 2) corrupted format 3) dead disk - possible fix for last - remove
partition add again and reformat.

Quote:> Ivan

is the partition extended (it has to be on my parallel port model)? You might
also want to try running scandisk or fsck.msdos after checking the partition
with cfdisk

zip drive

Post by chuc » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:15:35

Quote:> When you have trouble umounting a drive, it's usually because some
> process has a file or directory open.  Use lsof to find the process.
> If you have trouble mounting a zip disk, it could be the notorious
> "click of death".

that last refers to the drive I assume. That would be number 4 in my list of
my last reply. Cleaning is necessary at least once a year with ANY removable
media of course.

1. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

Hi Linux friends,

I have a IDE ZIPdrive and want to use it under Linux
Currently I have Redhat 4.1 installed.

During start-up it finds my IDE zip at /dev/hdc (/dev/hdb
is my IDE cdrom), however any attempt to mount a disk or to access with
mtools failed. Mtools gives me a read error, with obscure messages like
hdc: packect command error: status=0x51 error=0x50.... (sigh)

Do I have to upgrade to Redhat 5.0. I read somewhere that it might work.
Does anybody has more experience with this matter and hence could
anybody give me some valuable advice, before I run to the store and buy
redhat 5.0 or get myself a scsi ZIP drive.

Thanx guys,

Hans Kramer

2. point to point destaddr

3. Zip Zoom Cards & Zip Drives

4. NYC LOCAL: Noon Monday 20 August 2001: Rally to Free Dmitry Sklyarov

5. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive

6. compiling on dos from sysv via rsh

7. pppd doesn't reset idle-counter when there's traffic

8. ZIP drives ain't zipping

9. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive

10. Zip drive w/ Zip Zoom card

11. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

12. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)