motherboards

Post by Neil Zanell » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
features. Thanks,

Neil

motherboards

Post by Jerry Kern » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
> 200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
> as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
> features. Thanks,

> Neil

I've had good luck with the Abit TX boards (AX5,PX5 and AX5) and Abit
LX6 for Pentium II.  The FIC PA-2007 (VIA VP2 chipset with 1024k cache)
has also proven to be a great performer.  I have recently leaned toward
the Abit board over the FIC as the 2007 just hasn't been as high quality
since production was moved to PRC from ROC.

motherboards

Post by <Still No Value Set> » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
> > 200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
> > as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
> > features. Thanks,

> > Neil

Try the Top Gun TXPro.  $80 tops.  I've got one and I've had no
problems.

Contrary to popular belief,  a system defenestrator is not one who
throws
systems out of windows, but rather one who throws Windows out of
systems.
(defenestrate (dee FEHN uh strait) v., to throw someone or something out
of a window. <deprecated>(L. "fenestra", window)

Your friendly neighborhood defenestrator,
                Kevin Miller

motherboards

Post by Ken Farwel » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

> > > Hi,

> > > I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
> > > 200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
> > > as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
> > > features. Thanks,

> > > Neil

> Try the Top Gun TXPro.  $80 tops.  I've got one and I've had no
> problems.

> --

  We have some Intel AN430TX's for $45.00 US that will do the 233mmx
pentium, these run Linux very nice.
http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/an/index.htm

regards
Ken

motherboards

Post by Andrew Comec » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

> ? ?

> ? ? ?
> ? ? ? Hi,
> ? ? ?
> ? ? ? I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
> ? ? ? 200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
> ? ? ? as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
> ? ? ? features. Thanks,
> ? ? ?
> ? ? ? Neil
> ?
> ? Try the Top Gun TXPro.  $80 tops.  I've got one and I've had no
> ? problems.
> ?
> ? --

>   We have some Intel AN430TX's for $45.00 US that will do the 233mmx
> pentium, these run Linux very nice.
> http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/an/index.htm

> regards
> Ken

Of course, 430TX, -- I could imagine how nicely they run with more than
64m ram
etc. etc.
This is why you run them for $45.
Best,
a.

motherboards

Post by Mr. Anti Spa » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

> > ? ?

> > ? ? ?
> > ? ? ? Hi,

> >   We have some Intel AN430TX's for $45.00 US that will do the 233mmx
> > pentium, these run Linux very nice.
> > http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/an/index.htm

> > regards
> > Ken
> Of course, 430TX, -- I could imagine how nicely they run with more than
> 64m ram
> etc. etc.
> This is why you run them for $45.
> Best,

Damn, it comes with on board graphics and sound and is possible to use
UDMA drives (dunno linux).

It's ATX (feh) but for 45 I can see it being a good choice. I personally
don't like braindeaded
intel chipsets but for the price I can't see passing it up as a home
computer.

motherboards

Post by Ken Farwel » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

> > ? ?

> > ? ? ?
> > ? ? ? Hi,
> > ? ? ?
> > ? ? ? I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
> > ? ? ? 200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
> > ? ? ? as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
> > ? ? ? features. Thanks,
> > ? ? ?
> > ? ? ? Neil
> > ?
> > ? Try the Top Gun TXPro.  $80 tops.  I've got one and I've had no
> > ? problems.
> > ?
> > ? --

> >   We have some Intel AN430TX's for $45.00 US that will do the 233mmx
> > pentium, these run Linux very nice.
> > http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/an/index.htm

> > regards
> > Ken

> Of course, 430TX, -- I could imagine how nicely they run with more than
> 64m ram
> etc. etc.
> This is why you run them for $45.
> Best,
> a.

  That is correct, the TX chip set does have a 64Meg Cache limit, and yes,
this is why we are selling them for $45.00 US, if you wanted to buy in qty
(12 at a time) could do them for $35.00 US

motherboards

Post by Liza Linderma » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm still having trouble with the PX5 TX chipset from Abbit in reading
the CDROM.
Abbit has given zero tech support.

Ruben

> > Hi,

> > I am looking for a good motherboard with a PPro or P that does
> > 200MHz or 233Mhz or so. Any suggestions? I am looking for quality
> > as well as price. ATX support and up to date BIOSes are desirable
> > features. Thanks,

> > Neil

> I've had good luck with the Abit TX boards (AX5,PX5 and AX5) and Abit
> LX6 for Pentium II.  The FIC PA-2007 (VIA VP2 chipset with 1024k
> cache)
> has also proven to be a great performer.  I have recently leaned
> toward
> the Abit board over the FIC as the 2007 just hasn't been as high
> quality
> since production was moved to PRC from ROC.

1. Motherboards, Motherboards ...

Sorry, my news machine has been off the air for the past few days (for
upgrading) so I've missed bits of this thread.  I did receive some
interesting email, though.

I finally decided to  *do*  something about getting a new motherboard,
and after wading through lots of data and a few kind words of advice,
I decided on ...

.. a Tyan VLB 486DX2/66 with the SIS chipset.   No big deal, except
perhaps for the 1 MByte of CPU cache.  It should be interesting to see
if all that cache helps Linux performance.  I got an ATI VLB Ultra to
go with it.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a known-good VLB SCSI card ??

It's too soon to consider PCI and Pentium, what with the processor and
bus wars breaking out all over.  My spare tower case waits for the
shakeout.    :-)

I won't have the time to get the board installed for another couple of
weeks, but if I encounter difficulties, I'll post them.

Thanks to all who responded,

Chuck.

2. Rarp from net-tools package

3. Free Motherboard from Motherboard HomeWorld & Epox

4. Is there a C++ for AIX RT?

5. On-board Motherboard Modem (Motherboard=748MLRT) - does it work with Linux?

6. Problem with COW (Netrek) port

7. Does anybody have linux drivers for the the modem on an SIS620 motherboard

8. Sun Sparc's slow network performance

9. Kernel 2.4.x hangs on ASUS motherboard

10. Floppy controller not found with Asus P4T-E motherboard

11. Motherboards

12. Motherboards?

13. Often freeze ups after motherboard swap