SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by gagan_go » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:45:56

I have a Seagate 120 Gb SATA hard disk
Windows XP (Service Pack2 ) detects it as ST3120827AS

I was trying to load FedoraCore 3 and it did not detect the hard disk
saying that you need to manually choose a driver for it.
It gives me the option of inserting a driver disk but i did not
get any for the hard disk.

It may seem a stupid question but please tell me what driver i should

and how to iinstall it so FedoraCore3 detects my hard disk

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by Markku Kolkk » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:48:40

> I was trying to load FedoraCore 3 and it did not detect the hard disk
> saying that you need to manually choose a driver for it.
> It gives me the option of inserting a driver disk but i did not
> get any for the hard disk.

You need a driver for your SATA controller on the motherboard, not the
drive. See the Linux SATA status report at:
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html for info on support for
various controller chips.

--
        Markku Kolkka

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by Miguel De And » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:19:23

> I have a Seagate 120 Gb SATA hard disk
> Windows XP (Service Pack2 ) detects it as ST3120827AS

> I was trying to load FedoraCore 3 and it did not detect the hard disk
> saying that you need to manually choose a driver for it.
> It gives me the option of inserting a driver disk but i did not
> get any for the hard disk.

> It may seem a stupid question but please tell me what driver i should

> and how to iinstall it so FedoraCore3 detects my hard disk

On Slackware I can boot using the sata.i kernel image. I'm not sure if
you can do that on Fedora Core. Last time I checked, I couldn't even
install Fedora Core from a usb cd-rom drive.

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by Andrew Gideo » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 02:30:55

> and how to iinstall it so FedoraCore3 detects my hard disk

I've several machines with SATA1 drives runnnig Fedora Core 3.  I've never
had to futz with drivers.

I *have* had to play a little with BIOS settings.  I don't recall the
details any more, but I believe I finally settled on using the drives in
SATA RAID mode with the RAID set to JBOD.  Some setting combinations didn't
work properly (with the failure typically appearing when trying to
configure the disks onto which the installation is being placed).

Other settings (ie. an IDE setting, or some such) worked but with much
slower performance.

This is on Supermicro motherboards, so YMMV with other hardwares/BIOSs.

 - Andrew

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by Miguel De And » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 05:20:29

>> I have a Seagate 120 Gb SATA hard disk
>> Windows XP (Service Pack2 ) detects it as ST3120827AS

>> I was trying to load FedoraCore 3 and it did not detect the hard disk
>> saying that you need to manually choose a driver for it.
>> It gives me the option of inserting a driver disk but i did not get
>> any for the hard disk.

>> It may seem a stupid question but please tell me what driver i should

>> and how to iinstall it so FedoraCore3 detects my hard disk

> On Slackware I can boot using the sata.i kernel image. I'm not sure if
> you can do that on Fedora Core. Last time I checked, I couldn't even
> install Fedora Core from a usb cd-rom drive.

Woah, I just learned something. If I boot from a non sata kernel... I
puts my sata drive at /dev/hde. That's how windows seems to use it too
since it thinks its the 3rd drive. (I've got drives in /dev/hda and
/dev/hdd as well).

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by Andrew Gideo » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 05:39:23

>> On Slackware I can boot using the sata.i kernel image. I'm not sure if
>> you can do that on Fedora Core. Last time I checked, I couldn't even
>> install Fedora Core from a usb cd-rom drive.

> Woah, I just learned something. If I boot from a non sata kernel... I
> puts my sata drive at /dev/hde. That's how windows seems to use it too
> since it thinks its the 3rd drive. (I've got drives in /dev/hda and
> /dev/hdd as well).

Hmm.  That explains something I've seen recently.

Circumstances forced me to try Debian.  When I did what I thought was the
default with "sarge", I was given a 2.4 kernel.  This crashed on SATA1
drives until I told the BIOS to put them into IDE mode.  That worked, and I
saw "hd" drives.

When I subsequently tried the 2.6 "sarge" (but didn't change the BIOS
settings), the drives were recognized as "sd" drives (if I'm recalling
correctly).  I was able to successfully use a SATA setting in the BIOS, and
they were still seen as "sd" drives.

 - Andrew

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by G_r_a_n.. » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:50:12

> >> On Slackware I can boot using the sata.i kernel image. I'm not sure if
> >> you can do that on Fedora Core. Last time I checked, I couldn't even
> >> install Fedora Core from a usb cd-rom drive.

> > Woah, I just learned something. If I boot from a non sata kernel... I
> > puts my sata drive at /dev/hde. That's how windows seems to use it too
> > since it thinks its the 3rd drive. (I've got drives in /dev/hda and
> > /dev/hdd as well).

> Hmm.  That explains something I've seen recently.

> Circumstances forced me to try Debian.  When I did what I thought was the
> default with "sarge", I was given a 2.4 kernel.  This crashed on SATA1
> drives until I told the BIOS to put them into IDE mode.  That worked, and I
> saw "hd" drives.

> When I subsequently tried the 2.6 "sarge" (but didn't change the BIOS
> settings), the drives were recognized as "sd" drives (if I'm recalling
> correctly).  I was able to successfully use a SATA setting in the BIOS, and
> they were still seen as "sd" drives.

Yep, emulation mode is how first generation SATA controllers got
off the ground, later kernels switch chip into 'native' SATA mode
and thus you have sda...  Later chipsets don't have the emulation
mode, instead they offer RAID, sometimes a * little mess to
deal with --> JBOD --> Just a Bunch Of Disks --> Non-RAID operation
for SATA disks.

Grant.

SATA Hard Disk drivers

Post by Andrew Gideo » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:06:42

> Later?chipsets?don't?have?the?emulation
> mode, instead they offer RAID, sometimes a * little mess to
> deal with --> JBOD --> Just a Bunch Of Disks --> Non-RAID operation
> for SATA disks.

I did try to use a BIOS mirror on some earlier version of Fedora, and there
was a problem.  But I no longer recall details, and I've not tried this in
a while.

 - Andrew

1. HELP REGARDING SATA Hard Disk DRIVER

I have a Seagate 120 Gb SATA hard disk
Windows XP (Service Pack2 ) detects it as ST3120827AS

I was trying to load FedoraCore 3 and it did not detect the hard disk
saying that you need to manually choose a driver for it.
It gives me the option of inserting a driver disk but i did not
get any for the hard disk.

It may seem a stupid question but please tell me what driver i should

and how to iinstall it so FedoraCore3 detects my hard disk

2. Oracle 7 and AIX 4.3.3 ML9

3. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

4. need help booting Onyx box from tape

5. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

6. Machine goes into suspend mode with RH7.3 -- HELP!!

7. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

8. problems with scanf between Ultrix 4.3 and Solaris 2.4

9. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

10. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?

11. Problem with Hard Drive (Dell Poweredge SC-420, SATA)

12. modem and SATA hard drive