Any CD Burners for linux?

Post by Krishna Behar » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Would like any information on CD burners that
are compatible with linux.

Thanks

Krishna

Any CD Burners for linux?

Post by George D » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

]Would like any information on CD burners that
]are compatible with linux.

There are lots of them. For some examples, grab a copy of cdrecord and read the
README. It lists lots of supported and partially supported burners.

Any CD Burners for linux?

Post by Oliver Kurt » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Would like any information on CD burners that
> are compatible with linux.

> Thanks

See http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/cdrecord.html
There is a list somewhere of drives that are compatible with cdrecord.

I have a Mitsumi 4802 and that works as well.

Oliver
--
Oliver Kurth                               this mail was sent from home
Universitaetssternwarte Goettingen Geismarlandstr.11 - 37083 Goettingen

phone: xx49-551-395055         home: -706164               fax: -395043

Any CD Burners for linux?

Post by Michael Meissne » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Would like any information on CD burners that
> are compatible with linux.

For what its worth, my TEAC CD-R56S scsi CD-R has worked just fine (6x at
writing, 24x reading) using the xcdroast package and TekRam 390U scsi
controller.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

Any CD Burners for linux?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Would like any information on CD burners that
> are compatible with linux.

in addition to the FAQ's that people have mentioned, my personal experience
(we (the university) recently purchased a CD burning machine, running
linux, which has been performing backups of school machines, as many as
20-30 disks per day)

 - stay away from smart & friendly.  they take various manufacturers, and
   repackage them.  so it's rather difficult to know what kind of drive
   you're getting.

 - TEAC R55S - got two, both dead in the water after only a few disks.

 - YAMAHA 4416S (4x/4x/16x CDRW), $270 internal SCSI.  pounded probably
   close to 100 CDR's out in the past week, zero problems  - highly
   reccomend it.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.5        i586 | at public servers

Any CD Burners for linux?

Post by Carl Fi » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Would like any information on CD burners that
>are compatible with linux.

Read the CD-Recording HOWTO.
--

"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."
        -Martin Luther on Copernicus' theory that the Earth orbits the sun

1. "MagicWriter" USB CD-burner & linux?

"not supported" might merely mean that they don't want anybody to ask
for help; it might alternatively indicate that it's downright unusable
on Linux.

Whatever the outcome, I suggest that you visit the "working devices
list" at:
  <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/>

That site has a database to which you can add entries; the I/O Magic
device isn't listed, which may bode ill.  There are other USB CDRW
units that _do_ work, so it's doubtless worth grabbing a 2.4.x kernel
and giving it a shot.

If you can't address the I/O Magic CD burner, then by all means report
that, along with some of the vital statistics (look in
/proc/buses/usb/devices).

It's quite possible that I/O Magic is bundling some CD burner that
some OEM builds in Taiwan/Korea/China/..., and that under the label,
it's identical to a device that _is_ supported.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/hardware.html
"IBM may have originated Not Invented Here, but Microsoft has managed

2. gnnserver and Linux

3. USB CD-Burner for Linux?

4. dumping raw mail transmission

5. Parallel Port External CD Burner with Linux ???

6. serial port read/write error

7. What's the best GUI CD burners for Linux for my needs?

8. Write End Of File in current file?

9. LiteOn CD burner and Linux?

10. CD-Burner w Linux support?

11. CD-R : Recomended CD-ROM Burners