Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

Post by Jason Edward Isbel » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formated it under
DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
has 2484 cylinders.  When I initially installed Linux from Slackware
3.0, I tried to use fdisk to change the number of cylinders that
Linux saw.  This didn't work for me though.  When I would reboot, it
still only saw 621 cylinders.  I've recently require a newer version
of fdisk (3.04).  I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences
similar to mine and if so knows if fdisk3.04 would solve my problem.
I mainly am wondering if it would be worth the trouble of backing up,
repartioning, and restoring, to get Linux to see it has having 2484
cylinders (i.e., will I see a speed advantage, an increased
efficiency, etc...?)

Many Thanks,

Jason Isbell

WWW: http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~jei9070/jason

Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

Post by Thomas L. Picr » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formated it under
>DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
>has 2484 cylinders.
>                  I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences
>similar to mine and

I've got one too. When I hooked it up to an ISA  controller
card, everything looked fine. When I swapped in a VLB EIDE
controller card (mine is a Promise EIDE 2300+), the card
itself remaps the cylinders  to get the total under 1024. I
presume this is so VLB motherboards with older BIOS that don't
know about cyl > 1024. Even though my BIOS does acknowledge
all 2484 cyl, the card does the remapping anyway. So linux
thinks it has 621 cylinders & 64 sectors instead of the actual
2484 & 16. There's no need for alarm. The entire drive IS
being accessed. HTH.
--
Thomas L. Picray                           C/Unix Analyst

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

1. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2048 Cylinders in Linux

Why would you do that?

For the system to work reliably, both DOS and Linux must have the same
view of how the disk is laid out; otherwise they may destroy each other's
files.

Sounds like your DOS sees 621x64x63, while the drive itself is 2484x16x63.
Either of these multiplies out to the same number of sectors, so the entire
disk is accessible.  Let Linux also use 621x64x63 and Be Happy.
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

2. ftp + proxy

3. Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

4. Web-based document databases?

5. western digital caviar and linux

6. X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

7. How to setup my linux box to be a router/gateway?

8. Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

9. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

10. Via VT8233C + Western Digital Caviar = corruption hell?

11. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

12. Western Digital Caviar 1 gig & Busmouse problems :) (sorry)