DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 laptop and Linux

Post by Steve Sutph » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

iHas anyone gotten Linux (Xfree86) working on a Digital Equipment
HiNote Ultra 2000?  We are looking for a good, light, laptop with XGA
(1024x768) screen and this is one that seems like it might fit the bill.
The problem is that the `techical specs' do not detail the video chip (it
is not the dreaded NeoMagic).  This also does not show up in the Xi
Graphics support list (nor any of the Linux hardware lists that I can
find).  I tried DeJaNews to no avail, so I don't think this has
been discussed here recently (please excuse me if it has).
Any leads would be gratefully appreciated.

DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 laptop and Linux

Post by Paul A. Schoen » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I installed Linux (Red Hat 4.x) on a HiNote, with very few problems. The
video chip is an S3, I believe. At any rate, it's supported by Xfree86.
I could only get it to work in 800x600x256 mode, although that was all
the laptop's owner wanted, so I didn't try very hard.

I never got the cdrom drive to work (installed off a DOS partition), but
again, I didn't try very hard. It may very well work.

-Paul Schoenly
System Administrator

--

System Administrator               phone : (301) 286-5899

DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 laptop and Linux

Post by Pasi Kinnar » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I found one presentation, which said the video chip is Chips &
Technologies 65554. Hope this is the case (I have nothing to do with the
product).

//pasi

DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 laptop and Linux

Post by H. David To » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--*- Boundary FhypIN3xBe5kvrZF/hr

Quote:

>I found one presentation, which said the video chip is Chips &
>Technologies 65554. Hope this is the case (I have nothing to do with the
>product).

>//pasi

        I have an Ultra 2000, and the video chip is, indeed, the C&T 65554.
I've attached the Win95 system device listing FYI.

        The major problem I've had in even beginning to load Linux onto it (for
which I reserved a partition) is that the 2000 doesn't have a way to have both
floppy and CDROM installed concurrently.  That is, they "hot swap" if the OS
knows about that possibility, but there is no cable that lets you attach the
CDROM drive to the back of the unit while the FD is in the bay.  Also, in this
new BIOS, Digital removed the option of booting from the CDROM, so even if I
had a bootable CD, I couldn't load Linux from it.

        The only option I see is to get a docking station, which appears to let
you have both CDROM drive and floppy drive available concurrently.  Anyone have
another suggestion on how to handle this sort of problem?

        Oops.  Just found that I can't generate that system device report as a
text file.  I've attached it as a HP LJ III binary print file in case that's of
any use to anyone.
--*- Boundary FhypIN3xBe5kvrZF/hr

<encoded_portion_removed>
ZXJzaW9uIGluZm9ybWF0aW9uLgwbRQ==