stong, my WD Caviar sounds strange

Post by Vaccaro Francesco 245175/ » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

My new Western Digital Caviar disk (1.6GB) produces a strange
sound during startup phase under winsozz 95, while under linux
all works fine. The sound seems due to the head while triing to
go out the disk, each boot the disk retry this strange
operation for 7-8 times. I've installed lilo loader on MBR,
I've 95 on the first primary partition (for my father) and linux
on a logical one.
                        Francesco
--
Francesco Vaccaro

Post by Paul A. Kenned » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>My new Western Digital Caviar disk (1.6GB) produces a strange
>sound during startup phase under winsozz 95, while under linux
>all works fine. The sound seems due to the head while triing to
>go out the disk, each boot the disk retry this strange
>operation for 7-8 times. I've installed lilo loader on MBR,
>I've 95 on the first primary partition (for my father) and linux
>on a logical one.
>                    Francesco
>--
>Francesco Vaccaro

This is strictly HEARSAY, so bear with me...

A friend of mine had been having problems with his WD hard drive (a 1.2Gig
drive, don't remember whether it was the 21200 or the 31200).  He was running
FreeBSD.  He did some digging and found that there were problems between
certain BIOSes and _some_ revisions of WD hard drive firmware.  The pointer
that I have for "information" regarding how to fix this is:

I think that my friend said it was something about an interaction between the
Intel Triton chipset and WD drives (not just the ASUS boards that WD
identified).  My friend also said that it sounded as if the heads were being
driven onto the platter before the platter was up to speed :(  He got rid of
some errors on sectors with just a forced read to them.  This indicates no
surface damage (at least no uncorrectable surface damage, if there is such a
thing).

From some docs from WD:

Quote:>  All types of drives will be detected, but only the following selected models >of Western Digital drives will need to be updated:

>AC32500H  CCC:F1
>AC32100H  CCC:F1
>AC31600H  CCC:A1, A2, B0, B1, B2, B3
>AC21600H  CCC:F1
>AC21200H  CCC:E0, E1
>AC21000H  CCC:A1, A2, B0, B1, B2, E0, E1
..
>During POST, you may hear the drive being to spin-up and shortly thereafter >produice a sharp noise.  This action could cause media=

 damage and data loss.  >Please keep in mind, this only occurs during POST.

So it would appear that it doesn't matter what operating system you are using.
My friend was using FreeBSD.

I would thoroughly read any docs that you find at Western Digital before taking
any action that might not be reversible.  I am not an expert in this matter,
but thought that your story sounded suspciously familiar to a story a friend of
mine told (thanks to my friend Vlad for supplying me with all the info).

As a disclaimer, I have a Western Digital drive from a year or so ago, and it's
just fine.

I hope this is helpful, and I invite any comments from people more knowledgable
on this subject.

Paul
--

Post by 100331.2.. » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: My new Western Digital Caviar disk (1.6GB) produces a strange
: sound during startup phase under winsozz 95, while under linux
: all works fine. The sound seems due to the head while triing to
: go out the disk, each boot the disk retry this strange
: operation for 7-8 times. I've installed lilo loader on MBR,
: I've 95 on the first primary partition (for my father) and linux
: on a logical one.
:                       Francesco
: --
: Francesco Vaccaro

Do you have an Asus Motherboard ?
If so, the noise is an HEADCRASH.
This will physicly destroy your Harddisk.
According to the german computermagazin c't there is a firmware bug on
WD drives AC21000, AC21200, AC21600, AC31600, AC32100 and AC32500. This happens
with Asus boards P55TP4N and P55TP4XE and with Award Bios Versions 0110 to 0115.
It should be fixed with Bios versions starting 0201.
The problem is that the Bios issues an command "Execute Drive Diagnostics"
imedeately after starting the computer. The disk tries to execute it while not
having reached it's final speed, which causes the headcrash. This happens
during cold boot only! An sugessted workaround is: After turning on the
computer imediately go into cmos-setup using the hot-key combination of the
Bios. Then wait until the drive has reached it's final speed. Then exit without
saving. Warm-Boots are safe.
This bug is known by Western Digital!
Information and a dos program that does a firmware-update can be found at:
 http://www.wdc.com.
Also there is a new bios-version available from Asus at:
 http://www.asus.com.tw.
Sorry, but they don't give the exact locations and file names.
If you're disk already has bad sectors due to this bug, you should contact
you'r dealer and insist on a replacement.

Regards Friedhelm

1. HARD DRIVE WD CAVIAR AC2700 (LILO)

Hello, I need help to install LILO and to
have the same physical/logical address for
my partitions.

Message from fdisk :
====================
Disk /dev/hda1 : 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1416 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008*512 bytes.

..

/dev/hda1   *    1     1     508    256000+   6   Dos 16-bits >32M
/dev/hda2      509   509     813    153720   83   Linux Native
/dev/hda3      814   814    1321    256032   83   Linux Native
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1320,15,63)
/dev/hda4     1024  1322    1415     47376   82   Linux Swap
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1321,0,1)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1414,15,63)
Partition 4 does not start on cylinder boundary :
    phys=(1023,15,63) should be (1023,0,1)

Some information more :
=======================
I have installed the Linux system on the /dev/hda3
I have a unique harddisk Western Digital Caviar AC2700 (CMOS 696.9M)
and the Goldstar VL-Bus IDE & Super I/O..

Problems and questions :
========================
I have tried to install manually LILO wihtout success. The system is
always starting from DOS.
Can I do some think to change the physical address of one partition ?

Where is the mistake in general ?????

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Best regards,

Benoit Beck.

2. LILO & NT

3. LBA/biosgeom, WD Caviar 1.2Gb drive

4. csh vs ksh vs sh

5. WD Caviar WD800JB vs WD800BB

6. about linux and isdn

7. WD 540 caviar with linux? write-read partition?

8. How can I set the cursor to block

9. Summary, WD 250meg Caviar Drive

10. hdparm-1.0 and WD Caviar drives

11. hdparm, multiple mode, and WD Caviar 540

12. description of jumpers for WD Caviar IDE disk?

13. Q: WD Caviar AC2700 - Installation question