XFree86 on a Toshiba notebook PC undocked and then docked to a Revolution graphics card?

XFree86 on a Toshiba notebook PC undocked and then docked to a Revolution graphics card?

Post by Christopher Spr » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Will I be able to set up XFree86 v 3.3.2, on a Toshiba Tecra 730XCDT
notebook computer, to use an 'XFree86-supported' graphics card in a Toshiba
'DeskStation V Plus' docking unit?

I have XFree86 3.3.1 running nicely on my Tecra 730XCDT's CT65550 chipset,
in 1024 x 768 mode., undocked. Now I would like to put the Tecra into its
docking station where there is a Number 9 'Revolution 3D' graphics card.
This Number 9 card is supported by the new XFree86 3.3.2 software. However,
I do not know if it is possible to have two XFree86 configurations: one for
the undocked state and one for the docked state. How would I install and
switch between them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

--
Christopher Spry

Post by Mark Tranchan » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I do not know if it is possible to have two XFree86 configurations: one for
> the undocked state and one for the docked state. How would I install and
> switch between them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can specify multiple configurations in XF86Config, in the Device,
Monitor and Screen sections. I don't know how you would go about
switching between them (you could use one in 8bpp, and the other in
16bpp...), but man X(free86) and man XF86Config may help.

Mark.

1. Docked versus undocked: RH7.3 on Dell Latitude C840

At work, I have been assigned a Dell Latitude C840 notebook computer and
along with it a Dell Latitude C/Dock II and a Dell 2000FP display.

The notebook came with Windows XP (ugh!), but I successfully shrunk the
Windows partition significantly and have installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 on
it (yea!). RH7.3 works just fine, but I have some problems with the
differences between having the notebook docked and undocked.

The docked configuration has

        external display (Dell 2000FP)
        external mouse
        external speakers
        ethernet connection via the dock (eth1)

The undocked configuration has

        internal display
        internal trackpad
        internal speakers
        ethernet connection via internal NIC (eth0)

How do I tell Linux to switch between the two sets of hardware?

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. I tried to mount the Winders partition while in Linux, as I have
done
     in the past to access files there, but with XP I get the message
that
     the kernel does not support file system type ntfs. Any ways around
that?

--

send mail to   mccluskey (at) addressisp (dot) com

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN       "Friends don't send friends
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL                   HTML email."
 / \  AND POSTINGS

2. Problem Recognizing Enet on Compaq 6000

3. Xfree86 & PEX -- Which PC graphics card?

4. Log the console

5. docking/undocking laptop

6. EIDE vs. SCSI?

7. different X config files depending docked/undocked

8. ls for a particular date range

9. Toshiba 220CS Notebook + NE2000 PCMCIA-Card + Adataptec 1480A SlimSCSI Card = Problems

10. Need XFree86 Xconfig for Toshiba T4700CT notebook

11. Xfree86 for a Toshiba Satellite Notebook T2115CDS

12. XFree86 on Toshiba Portege 7200CT Notebook?

13. Need graphics card recommendation for HP Omnibook 4150 Docking Station