Quantum Fireball-ST 6,4GB Ultra ATA problems?

Quantum Fireball-ST 6,4GB Ultra ATA problems?

Post by Snorre Heimsun » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I was wondering if there would be any problems regarding
installation of Linux (Slackware & RedHat) on the new
Quantum Fireball-ST 6,4GB UltraDMA/33 IDE harddrive?

I've heard that there is a limit of a certain amount
of cylinders (10.000?) in Linux.  Since the specified
harddrive possibly have more cylinders than that, will
it work properly.

Anyone who have any experience with this drive?

Thanks for any help! :-)

--

Post by David Boydsto » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I was wondering if there would be any problems regarding
> installation of Linux (Slackware & RedHat) on the new
> Quantum Fireball-ST 6,4GB UltraDMA/33 IDE harddrive?

> I've heard that there is a limit of a certain amount
> of cylinders (10.000?) in Linux.  Since the specified
> harddrive possibly have more cylinders than that, will
> it work properly.

> Anyone who have any experience with this drive?

> Thanks for any help! :-)

> --

I'm using one with Caldera OpenLinux (kernel 2.0.29).
I'm not using the whole drive for Linux however, it is being shared with
DOS/Win95/WinNT. Linux is in an extended partition.

--
Dave Boydston
Solutions Consulting - Bringing Your Bright Ideas To Life

1. Quantum Fireball, Ultra ATA, RedHat

I'm considering installing Red Hat linux on my P6 200 with a dual boot
to Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.  With one bad NT & Linux experience under
my belt, I'm going to purchase a new 3.5" EIDE disk drive for Red Hat.
Now, it seems like the best drives for performance and reliablility,
discounted for cost, are Quantum Fireballs.  A new Fireball at 3.2 Gb
with 9.5 ms Average Seek Time with the Ultra ATA interface seems to be

It is supposedly backward compatable with Fast ATA, but will it
work with Red Hat?  Has anyone had any problems with one of these drives?
How about anything good to say?  Any information would be helpful...

Your friendly linux user,
Mark DePristo

2. LibXt.so.6 not found (java setup for 1.2.13 system)

3. adaptec 7850 scsi controller and Quantum FireBall ST Reset problem

4. mmap

5. problem with a Quantum Fireball ST HDD

6. hdd problem fills up /var/log???

7. Can't turn on DMA on Quantum Fireball CX 6.4GB

8. X window setup for Trident 3DImage 9850 AGP

9. AHA-1542CP, Quantum Fireball ST 2.1S trouble

10. Quantum ST (fireball) drives (6Gig)?

11. Quantum Fireball ST 3.2G, Linux bug or bad cache?

12. Problem with asus a7v and quantum lm ultra ata 66

13. Quantum Fireball Ultra DMA don't work with linux ?