Can't install LILO w/RH 5.2

Post by Aaron W. Bayle » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
    Hopefully someone can help out a Linux newbie here.  I am running a
multiple boot system on a Fujitsu 6.4 Gb IDE hard drive and a Western
Digital 4.3 Gb IDE hard drive.  On the 6.4, I have as Primary
partitions, OS/2's Boot Manager (7 Mb), Win98 (2047 Mb/Hidden C:), OS/2
Warp 4.0 (3271 Mb/Hidden C:), and 855 Mb of free space for Linux, in
that order. On the 4.3 Gb, I have 2 2000 Mb logical partitions D: and E:

with 94 Mb left over for Linux Swap. In case anyone needs to know, this
is a Pentium Pro 200/512 running on an Acer v60n motherboard, Intel
440FX chipset.  I have tried to install RH Linux 5.0 and 5.1 on this
system before, by creating a Primary partition with OS/2's fdisk, then
changing the type to linux native with linux fdisk.  No matter where I
place the partition for linux, from the very first partition on the
drive to second and so on, LILO will not install.  I install linux
packages just fine, either with a full blown install, or with a minimal
18Mb install, but when I get to the Install Bootloader part, linux will
not install either on the MBR, or first sector of boot partition
(preferred).  I have not tried to make a linux boot disk to see if that
will work, since I would much rather prefer to find a way to get my
existing setup to work.  I am able to move around the partitions
wherever they need to be to get this to work, but I would like to try
and avoid a complete format/restore if possible.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the cross/re-posting.

Thanks,
Aaron W. Bayles

(Please remove no_spam from my address for direct reply)

Can't install LILO w/RH 5.2

Post by Amir Ma » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Use a boot disk for a temporary solution. Then download and install the
newest LILO package.
This worked for me when I had such a problem.

Amir

Post by William B. Cattel » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     Hopefully someone can help out a Linux newbie here.  I am running a
> multiple boot system on a Fujitsu 6.4 Gb IDE hard drive and a Western
> Digital 4.3 Gb IDE hard drive.  On the 6.4, I have as Primary
> partitions, OS/2's Boot Manager (7 Mb), Win98 (2047 Mb/Hidden C:), OS/2
> Warp 4.0 (3271 Mb/Hidden C:), and 855 Mb of free space for Linux, in
> that order. On the 4.3 Gb, I have 2 2000 Mb logical partitions D: and E:

> with 94 Mb left over for Linux Swap. In case anyone needs to know, this
> is a Pentium Pro 200/512 running on an Acer v60n motherboard, Intel
> 440FX chipset.  I have tried to install RH Linux 5.0 and 5.1 on this
> system before, by creating a Primary partition with OS/2's fdisk, then
> changing the type to linux native with linux fdisk.  No matter where I
> place the partition for linux, from the very first partition on the
> drive to second and so on, LILO will not install.  I install linux
> packages just fine, either with a full blown install, or with a minimal
> 18Mb install, but when I get to the Install Bootloader part, linux will
> not install either on the MBR, or first sector of boot partition
> (preferred).  I have not tried to make a linux boot disk to see if that
> will work, since I would much rather prefer to find a way to get my
> existing setup to work.  I am able to move around the partitions
> wherever they need to be to get this to work, but I would like to try
> and avoid a complete format/restore if possible.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the cross/re-posting.

> Thanks,
> Aaron W. Bayles

> (Please remove no_spam from my address for direct reply)

This has happened to me on a couple of occaisions during the
RedHat install (4.2 & 5.2).  To resolve it I boot off the
emergency floppy created during install.  Once I'm logged in as
root I do a 'lilo' which installs and activates lilo.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

1. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

: Everything else seems to go well, until the very last step. I just cannot
: get LILO to install properly. It gives me an error message and lets me keep
: retying, but to no avail.

First, make sure to fix your MBR which can normally be done with DOS Fdisk
and "fdisk /mbr".

Welcome to the Bad BIOS Club! There is a solution. Install again, but this
time, make a small DOS partition that is the primary and is bootable.
Partition the rest to taste for Linux. Install normally until the LILO
part. When you get to that part, make the LILO floppy, then SHUT THE
COMPUTER OFF!!!!! Note that the next time you boot after that wanton
killing of the computer, you may have a fucked up the filesystem. In any
case, Linux will run fsck to fix it if it can.

With the LILO floppy, boot. On the CD you will find DOS utilities. Get a
DOS boot floppy and put Loadlin on it with a copy of your kernel. On the
DOS boot floppy, you will need a zero-byte CONFIG.SYS, FORMAT.COM,
EDIT.COM LOADLIN.EXE, and the kernel.

Now, with this DOS boot disk, slip it into the floppy drive and boot. Upon
booting, format /s that DOS partition. Then copy the files from the DOS
boot disk onto the hard drive. Next, using the editor, make an
AUTOEXEC.BAT with this line:

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro

Of course, for the Linux root partition, use your exact partition and to
use the filename with the kernel. The above is my standard Loadlin setup
line. Now, with this ready, hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and watch as your
Loadlin-booted Linux box comes to life!

My normal procedure for partitioning a hard drive is for the first
partition to be a primary, partition 4 is the extended and all subsequent
partitions logical drives. Using Loadlin, this has always worked. It's
most likely not critical to do it this way. Rather, it's just my habit. :)

During the install, you can opt to mount the Loadlin partition or not. I
choose to mount it on /lightoff or on dual-boot boxes as /dos. I also
habitually make one small ext2 partition to mount under /the/x/files. You
can partition to your liking, of course. :)

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

3869387 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

2. X Refresh Problems? - Horizontal Noise in KDE 3.1

3. Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

4. The jargon file version 2.2.1 15 DEC 1990 follows in 10 parts

5. Can't install LILO from RH 5.2

6. Protocol for "Dexxa" mouse?

7. RH 5.2 - LILO won't install during Linux installation.

8. Sparc10/network switch trouble

9. Can't install LILO w/RH 5.2

10. Help: Lilo install of RH 5.2 unsuccessful

11. re-install LILO in RH 5.2

12. Tulip Driver worked under RH 5.0, doesn't under 5.2 or SuSE 5.2, any ideas?

13. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)