hardware req for dialin box

Post by Jesse Buc » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

At work we currently have a pentium II w/ 128meg of ram and pretty big
hard disk.  Its currently got 6 dial in lines but this is gonna change
to 16 at 33.6k.  They are businesses that are dialed in so there is a
reasonable amount of traffic.  It's also a mail server for the dial up
clients.  Its running squid 2.0 for the proxy.  I have to build a new
machine to incorporate the new 16 port serial thingy.  To me this is
overkill, most of the work done by the machine is gonna by memory
references for the cache and routing traffic, so major memory and a fast
bus will be the requirements, not CPU power.  Is this correct?

Can anyone suggest any specific hardware for this (i don't know much
about hardware)?  Motherboard, CPU, memory, hd brands would be much
appreciated.

thanks in advance,
jesse