Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

Post by liu » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I read an article from PC World (Sept. 96) and it claim that Cyrix 6x86
200 is faster than Intel Pentium 200. Its performance is even better
than Pentium Pro 200. I am going to buy a new computer and running Linux
as an internet server. I want to know if it is good idea to run Cyrix
6x86 or I should stay with Intel Pentium (or Pentium Pro?) What are the
Pro and Con?

Thanks in advance.

Chi-Chung Liu

Post by mumfo » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I read an article from PC World (Sept. 96) and it claim that Cyrix 6x86
>200 is faster than Intel Pentium 200. Its performance is even better
>than Pentium Pro 200. I am going to buy a new computer and running Linux
>as an internet server. I want to know if it is good idea to run Cyrix
>6x86 or I should stay with Intel Pentium (or Pentium Pro?) What are the
>Pro and Con?

I'd like to see that article.

From what I've read, the 6x86 166 is faster than a pentium 200, and is
more than likely faster than a pentium pro 200 at 16 bit operations--
since pentiums slightly outrun pentium pros for 16 bit operations at
the same clock speed, and the 6x86 is faster than the pentium, the
6x86 is thusly faster than the pentium pro... *NOTE* this is just for
16 bit stuff (dos, win3.1, some [but not all] win95).  The pentium pro
blows the other chips out of the water for 32 bit stuff (some win 95
stuff, win nt, and most importantly linux :)

Quote:

--

PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82
Why did the mathematician name his dog Cauchy?

Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

Post by Peter F. Curr » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I read an article from PC World (Sept. 96) and it claim that Cyrix 6x86
>200 is faster than Intel Pentium 200. Its performance is even better
>than Pentium Pro 200. I am going to buy a new computer and running Linux
>as an internet server. I want to know if it is good idea to run Cyrix
>6x86 or I should stay with Intel Pentium (or Pentium Pro?) What are the
>Pro and Con?

>Thanks in advance.

>Chi-Chung Liu

Yes, the Cyrix IS better than the pentium for some benchmarks, but
worse for others.  The only reason to choose the Intel over Cyrix
is if you intend doing INTENSE floating point jobs like simulations
or ray-tracing.  Otherwise, the Cyrix price makes it the better
solution.

  Pete Curran

Post by Jeff Kr » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I read an article from PC World (Sept. 96) and it claim that Cyrix 6x86
>200 is faster than Intel Pentium 200. Its performance is even better
>than Pentium Pro 200. I am going to buy a new computer and running Linux
>as an internet server. I want to know if it is good idea to run Cyrix
>6x86 or I should stay with Intel Pentium (or Pentium Pro?) What are the
>Pro and Con?
>Thanks in advance.
>Chi-Chung Liu

The Cyrix 6x86 chips are faster that compairable Pentiums or Pentium
Pros...running 16-bit code.  If you are going to be running Linux
(32-bit code), the Pentium Pros will run circles around the Cyrix and
Pentium (P5) CPU's.  Go with the PPro; it's better in the long run.
I just ordered mine!

Jeff Krob

Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

Post by Andrew and Diane Lilli » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the difference in bus speeds.
 For example, I can only really afford an Intel P5 100.  If I were to
get the Cyrix chip with the same clock speed (is it the P120+ ?) I would
only get a 50 MHz bus.  Compared to the 66 Mhz I will get with the Intel
chip.  This seems like it would be a big difference to me.  Most of what
I do on my PC is not processor intensive, but more IO dependant for
speed.  That is why at my price range I will stick to Intel's.  To get
the 66 MHz bus speed on a Cyrix, I would have to buy the P166+ which is
too much for me right now.  (I know that chips are really cheap these
days, but I am currently assembling a whole system so I figure that it
is better to spend the money on the IO stuff  (ie buy SCSI and a GOOD
video subsystem and a GOOD motherboard) and when the chips come down
even further, like 1st Qrtr next year then I can upgrade the CPU.

If I am heading down the wrong path I would appreciate any help?
Andrew

I do however feel that Cyrix has a great product, certainly innovative.
 But a little out of my range CURRENTLY.:)

Post by Stephen Knila » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>I read an article from PC World (Sept. 96) and it claim that Cyrix 6x86
>>200 is faster than Intel Pentium 200. Its performance is even better
>>than Pentium Pro 200. I am going to buy a new computer and running Linux
>>as an internet server. I want to know if it is good idea to run Cyrix
>>6x86 or I should stay with Intel Pentium (or Pentium Pro?) What are the
>>Pro and Con?

>I'd like to see that article.

>From what I've read, the 6x86 166 is faster than a pentium 200, and is
>more than likely faster than a pentium pro 200 at 16 bit operations--
>since pentiums slightly outrun pentium pros for 16 bit operations at
>the same clock speed, and the 6x86 is faster than the pentium, the
>6x86 is thusly faster than the pentium pro... *NOTE* this is just for
>16 bit stuff (dos, win3.1, some [but not all] win95).  The pentium pro
>blows the other chips out of the water for 32 bit stuff (some win 95
>stuff, win nt, and most importantly linux :)

The only problem with your theory is that it assumes that you have a REAL 200Mhz
processor!  The LAST REAL Mhz<->Mhz processor was the 66Mhz!  THUS, ANY processor
faster than that is, all things equal, SLOWER in relation to its clock.  In
other words, the 120Mhz could NOT be twice as fast as the 60Mhz unless it uses
new technology!

The pentium pro has a MUCH larger cache on chip(running at 200Mhz), than the
pentium.

In other words, memory accesses in a 200Mhz P6 with a 256K program are at
200Mhz!  The SAME thing on a 200Mhz P5 is at about 66Mhz!

Steve

Post by Roderick W. Smi » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Aug 1996 17:20:56 GMT writes:

> : One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the difference in bus
> : speeds.  For example, I can only really afford an Intel P5 100.  If I
> : were to get the Cyrix chip with the same clock speed (is it the
> : P120+?) I would only get a 50 MHz bus.  Compared to the 66 Mhz I will
> : get with the Intel chip.

> Umm.. not really. The cyrix chip running at 100 MHZ will run off of a
> 33MHz PCI bus and a 66Mhz memory bus, as far as I know.

Nope.  This would require a 1.5x clock multiplier, and the Cyrix 6x86 does *NOT*
support this.  As the original poster suggested, the 6x86 P120+ (100MHz) uses a
50MHz external bus speed and (on most motherboards) a 25MHz PCI bus speed.

That said, consider that the CPU itself will be faster than an Intel P100.  In
fact, the benchmarks used to come up with the P-ratings utilize the entire
computer -- they stress the CPU, memory, disk I/O, video, etc., and are *NOT*
CPU-specific.  Thus, the 100MHz 6x86 (the P120+) performs, on the average for
the mix used in the benchmarks, similarly to a Pentium at 120MHz.  I'd therefore
suspect that you'd be better off with a 6x86 P120+ than with an Intel P100 for
most purposes, the main exception being FPU-intensive stuff.  You'd have to
REALLY stress the I/O systems for the bus speed to make such a difference that
the Pentium 100 would outperform the 6x86 P120+.  (Sorry; I've no hard figures
to back this up -- it is admittedly based mostly on reasoning from my
understanding of the benchmarks used to produce the P-values and my
understanding of CPU and bus speeds on PCs.)

| Rod Smith                             Author of:               |

| http://psych.colorado.edu/~rsmith     "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

Post by Andrew R. Bern » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Basically, it boils down to this: For the money, the Cyrix 6x86 chips are
faster than the Pentium chips (at the same clock rate) for everything but
FPU-intensive calculations (3d rendering, simulations, Quake-type
games). The Pentium Pro is a) not in the same cost bracket and b) a totally
different processor, and so can't really be compared any more than a 486 and
a pentium. However, Cyrix' new M2 chip (coming out sometime) is supposed to
be a match to the P6.

Drew

--

Cyrix 6x86---Intel not-Inside    |   |  |     Linux user---Daemon tamer
 "It's not how fast it runs <*>      |  |   it's how long it stays up"

Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

Post by Matthew Cummin » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> worse for others.  The only reason to choose the Intel over Cyrix

Or if you intend to use SMP.
--

1. Intel P6 vs P7 system call performance

It get even worse with Hammer. When you run hammer in compatibility mode
(32 bit app on a 64 bit OS) the sysenter is an illegal instruction.
Since Intel don't implement syscall, there is no portable sys*
instruction for 32 bit apps. You could argue that libc hides it for you
and you just need libc to test the host at startup (do I get a sigill if
I try to do getpid() with sysenter? syscall? if so we uses int80 for
syscalls).  But not all programs are linked dyn.

Too bad really, I tried the sysenter patch once, and the gain (on PIII
and athlon) was significant.

Fortunately the 64bit libc for hammer uses syscall.

PS:  rdtsc on P4 is also painfully slow!!!

TJ

Scali Scalable Linux Systems    http://www.scali.com

Olaf Helsets Vei 6              tel:    +47 22 62 89 61 (OFFICE)
P.O.Box 150, Oppsal                     +47 975 31 574  (MOBILE)
N-0619 Oslo                     fax:    +47 22 62 89 51
NORWAY

2. GPL'd CAD sources

3. FreeBSD and BSDI BSD/OS filesystem compatabilty?

4. 8LGM: The Future. Your views please.

5. Cyrix 6x86 vs. Intel Pentium

6. : Auto-Mounter Available?

7. Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P5 benchmarks under Linux

8. AMD vs CYRIX vs INTEL

9. Intel vs. AMD. vs Cyrix

10. Q: P6 and dual P6 for Linux?

11. p5, p6, or dual p6?