Segmentation error : AMD K6-II ( 400 MHz ), 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz )

Segmentation error : AMD K6-II ( 400 MHz ), 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz )

Post by ar.. » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I just upgraded my LinuxBox, and since then, i'm occasionally getting
segmntation errors, especially while compiling the kernel sources.

My System is SUSE 6.2, MB Gigabyte GA-5AX, processor AMD K6 II
( 400 MHz ) and RAM 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz ).

I followed the hint of SUSE about some existing error of AMD K6
which means the AMD K6 has an error which makes the system unstable
while using more memory than 32 MB.
They do not mention which type of K6 is involved.
I set the used memorysize to 32 MB ( lilo option : "linux mem=32M" )
and it did really help - linux is really stable since then.
Only problem i've got is : i didn't bought a quite expensive 64 MB SDRAM
to not to use it at all ;)

Has anybody made any experience with that bug...
Maybe it is only my memory which is buggy and not the processor ?

please give me some hints how could i find it out what is causing the
segmentation error : processor or memory ?

Post by Charles Philip Cha » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I just upgraded my LinuxBox, and since then, i'm occasionally getting
> segmntation errors, especially while compiling the kernel sources.

> My System is SUSE 6.2, MB Gigabyte GA-5AX, processor AMD K6 II
> ( 400 MHz ) and RAM 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz ).

I am using an AMD K6 II 350 with 64 MB under SuSE 6.2. I have compiled a
lot of kernels and I have never had a problem.

Quote:> ...
> Has anybody made any experience with that bug...
> Maybe it is only my memory which is buggy and not the processor ?

Maybe it is your memory, but if you upgraded from the box set, while don't
you take advantage of tech support?

One Net to rule them all, One Net to find them,
One Net to bring them all, and with Linux bind them.

Post by Leszek Desk » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I just upgraded my LinuxBox, and since then, i'm occasionally getting
> segmntation errors, especially while compiling the kernel sources.

Compiling of kernel is usually a good test for memory, mainboard and
processor (especially when run with -j 150 option :)

Quote:> I set the used memorysize to 32 MB ( lilo option : "linux mem=32M" )
> and it did really help - linux is really stable since then.

Easiest way to figure it out (what is wrong - memory or processor) is to
use other 64 MB memory or to use other processor, if you can of course.
I use K6 200 with 64 MB DIMM and it's really OK. (I used Red Hat and
Mandrake).

--
Pozdrawiam
        Leszek Deska

http://www.veryComputer.com/;http://www.veryComputer.com/;http://www.veryComputer.com/

Segmentation error : AMD K6-II ( 400 MHz ), 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz )

Post by David Coole » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've seen similar errors from the CPU heating up...
What kind of heatsink/fan are you running on the CPU?

Post by Mohd H Misn » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I just upgraded my LinuxBox, and since then, i'm occasionally getting
>segmntation errors, especially while compiling the kernel sources.

>My System is SUSE 6.2, MB Gigabyte GA-5AX, processor AMD K6 II
>( 400 MHz ) and RAM 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz ).

>I followed the hint of SUSE about some existing error of AMD K6
>which means the AMD K6 has an error which makes the system unstable
>while using more memory than 32 MB.
>They do not mention which type of K6 is involved.
>I set the used memorysize to 32 MB ( lilo option : "linux mem=32M" )
>and it did really help - linux is really stable since then.
>Only problem i've got is : i didn't bought a quite expensive 64 MB SDRAM
>to not to use it at all ;)

>Has anybody made any experience with that bug...
>Maybe it is only my memory which is buggy and not the processor ?

>please give me some hints how could i find it out what is causing the
>segmentation error : processor or memory ?

The mentioned problem was with the old AMD K6 and not the newer K6-2. Most
probably there is something wrong with your hardware setup espically the RAM.
May be if you can tell us more about the segmentation error (the exact message),
it will help us to diagnose further. BTW, I'm running AMD K6-2/300Mhz for a year
now and have no problem with it.

--

You know you're a Mac * when:
- you're putting something together and there is no "Step 3".

Post by d.. » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I just upgraded my LinuxBox, and since then, i'm occasionally getting
> segmntation errors, especially while compiling the kernel sources.

> My System is SUSE 6.2, MB Gigabyte GA-5AX, processor AMD K6 II
> ( 400 MHz ) and RAM 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz ).

> I followed the hint of SUSE about some existing error of AMD K6
> which means the AMD K6 has an error which makes the system unstable
> while using more memory than 32 MB.
> They do not mention which type of K6 is involved.
> I set the used memorysize to 32 MB ( lilo option : "linux mem=32M" )
> and it did really help - linux is really stable since then.
> Only problem i've got is : i didn't bought a quite expensive 64 MB
SDRAM
> to not to use it at all ;)

> Has anybody made any experience with that bug...
> Maybe it is only my memory which is buggy and not the processor ?

> please give me some hints how could i find it out what is causing the
> segmentation error : processor or memory ?

Well i jus upgraded, or actually , did a full install of Mandrake 6.1
which is basicly RedHat6.1.  When i compile the kernel it segfaults,msg
is different each time where it segfaults, so im pretty sure its a
hardware problam, any ideas. I just replaced the ram. Am gonna replace
my 475 amd k6-2 witha 450 in a second to see if that may be it,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. k6-3 400 mhz + asus mb + 64 mb pc-100

I'm planning an upgade of my system and wanted to make sure that linux
wouldn't have any trouble with this set up

k6-3 400 mhz
asus mb
64 mb pc-100
hercules thriller 3d vid card

if anyone sees problems please let me know soon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Xfree 1.2 hangs on exit

3. Linux Crash&Burn on 300 MHz K6/II 100 MHz Motherboard??!!

4. Connection problem

5. UltraSparc AXi 300 MHz versus Pentium II 400 MHz

6. Opening a remote X session.

7. Overclocking an AMD-K6-2 400 MHz to 450MHz

8. serial cards

9. Problems with an AMD K6-III 400 Mhz processor and Linux

10. AMD K6-2 533 Mhz for Pentium 233 Mhz: does it work?

11. 350 MHz vs 400 MHz PII

12. /proc/cpuinfo gives 295 MHz, but 400 MHz chip?

13. 100 MHz bus speed, should be 400?