Line-in recording stopped working

Post by Mark Krauthei » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:35:52

I recently added an SBLive5.1 PCI sound card to an old Gateway P133
running RH7.3 (2.4.18-3) to record LPs. Ran sndconfig, fired up aumix, set
levels, and I was off - recorded several albums via the command line
'nrecord' utility. Audio setup is like this:

 Turntable -> Preamp -> Line In on sound card (via Tape Out on preamp)

Several days (and a reboot) later, I tried again but this time, the .wav
file is empty.

I can hear the album playing through headphones connected to one of the
Out jacks on the sound card. I've got _all_ levels set to max via aumix. I
also tried putting an audio CD in the drive and recording it while it
plays, and _that_ works. So why doesn't it work via Line In?

I've read the Linux sound HOWTO and there's something about being able to
play but not record, and how it might be a DMA problem. But I _can_
record, at least from the CD. I'm also not sure how to diagnose this
thing, since the HOWTO mentions reading from /dev/sndstat and /proc/sound
to get info, then goes on to say these were removed in the 2.4 kernel.

Any help appreciated.

Line-in recording stopped working

Post by Mark Krauthei » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 02:35:01

As usual (it seems), I had assumed the worst and missed the obvious - for
those of you who wondered "Did he make sure the Line In channel was set to
'record' in aumix?", the answer is "No, I did not".

I did RTFM but not closely enough.

Duh!

 > I recently added an SBLive5.1 PCI sound
card to an old Gateway P133

Quote:> running RH7.3 (2.4.18-3) to record LPs. Ran sndconfig, fired up aumix, set