Instalation problem

Post by Dvora » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

My bootdisk not work. I made bootdisk rawrite bare.i a: on formated
diskete. If i reboot,my Pc is deth... help me please.

Instalation problem

Post by JohnRedde » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I purchased RedHat Linux Ver4.1 and ultimately want to install it on a
production system that uses a aha1542cp SCSI controller.  Prior to this change
I want to install it on a second machine running Win-Dos97 that happens to have
a WD7296a SCSI adapter.  I find WD7000 in the supported hardware list.  I put
it the RedHat boot floppy and the installtion starts.  It can't find the scsi
adapter and asks for options.  Will something like

wd7000=11,E4000000,8100

work?  (these values are taken from Win97resources option under "my computer"
icon.  Or am I looking at totally unsupported hardware.

BTW, connected to the WD7296a SCSI adapter is a 1GIG Iomega JAZ drive.

Thanks in advance to those who answer my question.

-John Redden

Post by Matt Kirsc » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I purchased RedHat Linux Ver4.1 and ultimately want to install it on a
> production system that uses a aha1542cp SCSI controller.  Prior to this change
> I want to install it on a second machine running Win-Dos97 that happens to have
> a WD7296a SCSI adapter.  I find WD7000 in the supported hardware list.  I put
> it the RedHat boot floppy and the installtion starts.  It can't find the scsi
> adapter and asks for options.  Will something like

> wd7000=11,E4000000,8100

> work?  (these values are taken from Win97resources option under "my computer"
> icon.  Or am I looking at totally unsupported hardware.

Only the WD7000 SCSI card is supported, not the WD7xxx series.
I think I read that the support is in the works for other WD7xxx
cards on a web site last week. Currently it will not work as
far as I know.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.

I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.

There is more information available if needed, please contact me.

1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
the following:

Partitiotion check:

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().

2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.

Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:

After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX

3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.

4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).

5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.

6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.

additional information:

Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD

some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:

LILO

Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!

etc.

boot:           (enter to continue)

etc.

SCSI : 1 host

        Vendor: QUATUM   Model: PD1800S    Rev: 3162
        Type: Direct Acces      Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda

Memory: etc. etc.

etc.

Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.

Partition Check :

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
allocate_device().

After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.

I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem

Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?

please HELP !!!

2. poly?

3. Squid 2.4STABLE instalation problem on Red Hat 7.3

4. cdrom mount stops working???

5. 3com F. Etherlink instalation problem in Open Server 4.05

6. ssh and last login

7. Apache and Tomcat Instalation Problems on Linux

8. VisionFS 1.2 unable to start after installation

9. SCSI CDROM instalation problem

10. x86 instalation problem

11. Red Hat Instalation Problems

12. X11 Instalation problems