(Beginner) Modem for Windows AND Linux avaialble?

(Beginner) Modem for Windows AND Linux avaialble?

Post by Garry Heato » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 07:02:34

I've just installed Mandrake 7.2 on a 3rd partition with Win98 on the
primary DOS and Win2000 on the extended. Soon discovered Linux doesn't like
my modem (Diamond Supra SST 56i Pro DF). Neither does Win2000 what it's
worth. I then read somewhere that it's "windmodems" for Windows and "real"
modems with "real chips" for Linux.

Big question is whether anyone has produced a modem which is compatible with
Windows and Linux.

Regards

Garry Heaton

(Beginner) Modem for Windows AND Linux avaialble?

Post by T A R » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:14:18

Quote:> I've just installed Mandrake 7.2 on a 3rd partition with Win98 on the
> primary DOS and Win2000 on the extended. Soon discovered Linux doesn't like
> my modem (Diamond Supra SST 56i Pro DF). Neither does Win2000 what it's
> worth. I then read somewhere that it's "windmodems" for Windows and "real"
> modems with "real chips" for Linux.

> Big question is whether anyone has produced a modem which is compatible with
> Windows and Linux.

I think most external serial modems should work. I use the Diamond SupraExpress
56e, and it works fine under Mandrake 7.1 and Win 98 SE. Linux detected it
without a hitch, and I've had absolutely no problems with it.
 http://www.supra.com/default.asp?menu=supra_56e_pc&sub_menu=&item=
Internal hardware modems (such as a few ISA modems) will also work but they
usually need to be configured and that's not always easy to do, particularly if
you're new to Linux.

Post by Richard Hocke » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:14:19

Quote:> I've just installed Mandrake 7.2 on a 3rd partition with Win98 on the
> primary DOS and Win2000 on the extended. Soon discovered Linux doesn't
like
> my modem (Diamond Supra SST 56i Pro DF). Neither does Win2000 what it's
> worth. I then read somewhere that it's "windmodems" for Windows and "real"
> modems with "real chips" for Linux.

> Big question is whether anyone has produced a modem which is compatible
with
> Windows and Linux.

ANY external modem will support both Linux and Windows, and would possibly
be faster than an internal winmodem as well (depending on the state of the
phonelines in your area.)
Quote:

> Regards

> Garry Heaton

(Beginner) Modem for Windows AND Linux avaialble?

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:37:41

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I've just installed Mandrake 7.2 on a 3rd partition with Win98 on the
> primary DOS and Win2000 on the extended. Soon discovered Linux doesn't like
> my modem (Diamond Supra SST 56i Pro DF). Neither does Win2000 what it's
> worth. I then read somewhere that it's "windmodems" for Windows and "real"
> modems with "real chips" for Linux.

> Big question is whether anyone has produced a modem which is compatible with
> Windows and Linux.

This isn't an either/or proposition. "Real" modems work in *BOTH* Linux
*AND* Windows. Most external modems with RS-232 interfaces should work
fine. USB modems are increasingly supported in Linux, too (check
http://www.linux-usb.org for details), although I can't comment on Win2K
support. It used to be there were internal "real" modems, but I don't
know if these are produced any more. There are also Linux drivers for a
few WinModems -- check http://www.linmodems.org for details.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Post by Michael Meissne » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 01:01:04

> > I've just installed Mandrake 7.2 on a 3rd partition with Win98 on the
> > primary DOS and Win2000 on the extended. Soon discovered Linux doesn't
> like
> > my modem (Diamond Supra SST 56i Pro DF). Neither does Win2000 what it's
> > worth. I then read somewhere that it's "windmodems" for Windows and "real"
> > modems with "real chips" for Linux.

> > Big question is whether anyone has produced a modem which is compatible
> with
> > Windows and Linux.

> ANY external modem will support both Linux and Windows, and would possibly

              ^

            serial

Quote:> be faster than an internal winmodem as well (depending on the state of the
> phonelines in your area.)

Serial modems should work for just about any computer, except those that do not
have a serial port (some of the newer, cheaper computers do not have 'legacy'
devices).

USB modems that conform to the Universal Serial Bus Communication Device Class
Abstract Control Model (USB CDC ACM) specification should work with the 2.4.x
kernel, but not that many distributions do not yet support 2.4.  According to
the 2.4 docs, the following USB modems should work:

        3Com OfficeConnect 56k
        3Com Voice FaxModem Pro
        3Com Sportster
        MultiTech MultiModem 56k
        Zoom 2986L FaxModem
        Compaq 56k FaxModem
        ELSA Microlink 56k

Whether the above modems work with Win2000, I don't know (neither can I tell
you how well any of the above modems work as I'm just quoting the
documentation).

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)