External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

Post by Todd Wood » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I recently bought an external Jaz drive.  Also bought the new Iomega
Jaz Jet SCSI-II (Fast?) controller for the drive.  It's a PCI card.
When Linux boots it detects the PCI card but says it's an unknown PCI
card and specifically doesn't poll the controller for SCSI devices. How
do I get Linux to realize the card is a SCSI controller? Can I get Linux
to realize it's a SCSI controller? :-)

        Todd

Post by Hugo van der Koo » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I recently bought an external Jaz drive.  Also bought the new Iomega
>Jaz Jet SCSI-II (Fast?) controller for the drive.  It's a PCI card.
>When Linux boots it detects the PCI card but says it's an unknown PCI
>card and specifically doesn't poll the controller for SCSI devices. How
>do I get Linux to realize the card is a SCSI controller? Can I get Linux
>to realize it's a SCSI controller? :-)

The card is NOT supported at present! Use a supported SCSI card!

Post by Gregory Greenma » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I recently bought an external Jaz drive.  Also bought the new Iomega
> Jaz Jet SCSI-II (Fast?) controller for the drive.  It's a PCI card.

When I got my SCSI Jaz drive, I checked to see if the Iomega
SCSI card was supported.  At this time, the Iomega card is
NOT supported under Linux. That's why I got a BusLogic card.

See SCSI-HOWTO or HARDWARE-HOWTO before buying hardware.

Greg

External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

Post by Gregory Greenma » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > I recently bought an external Jaz drive.  Also bought the new Iomega
> > Jaz Jet SCSI-II (Fast?) controller for the drive.  It's a PCI card.

> When I got my SCSI Jaz drive, I checked to see if the Iomega
> SCSI card was supported.  At this time, the Iomega card is
> NOT supported under Linux. That's why I got a BusLogic card.

> See SCSI-HOWTO or HARDWARE-HOWTO before buying hardware.

> Greg

I have heard that the Jaz Jet is based on Adaptec 7800 family
and that you may be able to use the aic7xxx driver in Linux 2.0

External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

Post by Bret A. Herms » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > I recently bought an external Jaz drive.  Also bought the new Iomega
: > Jaz Jet SCSI-II (Fast?) controller for the drive.  It's a PCI card.
: >
: When I got my SCSI Jaz drive, I checked to see if the Iomega
: SCSI card was supported.  At this time, the Iomega card is
: NOT supported under Linux. That's why I got a BusLogic card.

: See SCSI-HOWTO or HARDWARE-HOWTO before buying hardware.

: Greg

the Iomega card is supported by the Adaptec 294x driver as the Iomega
card is based on the same chipset...I recompiled my kernel with the
driver and it recognized the card and the zip and jaz drives attached to
it immediately...much better than the Zip Zoom card I had been using
before that required me to feed all the settings to the kernel before it
could be found...

--
'Pinky: So what are we going to do tonight Brain?
 Brain: Same thing we do every night, try to take over the world.'

                      http://compshop.unl.edu/bret/

External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

Post by Greg Greenma » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I checked my documentation on Jaz drive.
Iomega says the Jet is based on Adaptec 2940
Therefore the Adaptec 294x driver should work.

Greg

External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

Post by Greg Greenma » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I checked my documentation on Jaz drive.
Iomega says the Jet is based on Adaptec 2940
Therefore the Adaptec 294x driver should work.

Greg

1. Jaz Drive, Jaz Jet PCI Host Adapter, SCO UNix 5.0.4, PCI/SCSI

drive will work with SCO 5.0.4:

I have a Pentium MMX system running primarily Win95, but I also have a
SCO partition.

Recently I added an Iomega Jaz Drive for backup.

The controller supplied with the drive was the Jaz Jet Ultra PCI/SCSI.
I had purchased the internal version of the drive.

I am aware that there is an external version of the drive.

I am also aware that there are ISA and PCMCIA versions of the SCSI
adapters.

The Win95 installation was unusually easy.

On the SCO side I had a bit of difficulty until I discovered that the
Jaz Jet Host Adapter is actually made by Advansys.

At the Advansys web site I found programs to download to create a BTLD
diskette for the driver for the Advansys board.

The driver name is "asc" under SCO.

Once the BTLD was in hand it only took about 1/2 an hour to put the
driver in the kernel and get ready to create the partitions and
filesystems.

It took about 15 minutes to badblock scan the SCO partition.  Clean
scan!

I also set up a 100 Meg DOS partition for amusement.

The drive work just fine under both SCO and Win95.

Any DOS partitions are accessible under both SCO and Win95.

The drive is basically a removable HDA that fits into a 3.5 inch bay.

The drive also comes with frame adapters to allow installation into a
5.25 inch bay if you prefer.

The speed is in the order of a typical hard disk.

It is completely quiet.

The PCI/SCSI adapter has both an internal 50 pin header to accept
conventional flat cables, and an external high density connector.

On our system there is an HP scanner.  The scanner originally came with
its own ISA/SCSI Adapter.

The Jaz Jet Ultra is now running both the internal Jazt Drive and the
external port to the HP Scanner.

The original ISA/SCSI Host Adapter is now a souvenier.

I am pleased with the product.

Regards,

Norm von Pentz

2. No such pid

3. Jaz drive and Jaz Jet SCSI PCI card -- is it supported?

4. define fileysytem for optical library

5. 2Qs: 8bit chars in xterm & ASPPP+Unique Passwords

6. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

7. e2fsck => Reading tables

8. 2GB JAZ DRIVE EXTERNAL SCSI

9. Jaz Jet PCI for SuSE 6.2: can't see Jaz nor SCSI CD-ROM

10. Jaz drive / PCMCIA Jaz SCSI card???

11. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive