Can run X as root but doesn't work as user??

Can run X as root but doesn't work as user??

Post by Mark Addina » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

: --------------723B28E02FF3402E7467BE42

: Hi,

: Before anyone says this is a permissions problem let me inform you a
: little more about the problem.

: OK...  I just installed my sony monitor with a Mercury S3 card.  I
: configured xf86config and used the adapter vendor's specs on the
: XF86Config file and it worked as root!!!!

: Now I type in X as root and it comes up fine cursor moveing etc...

: As any other user and I've tried many, all I get is a scrambled display!

copy the XF86Config file from /root into the /home/<user_name> for
individually configurable X sessions or copy the file to the default
profile area.

Cheers,
Mark.

Post by Axe » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: : OK...  I just installed my sony monitor with a Mercury S3 card.  I
: : configured xf86config and used the adapter vendor's specs on the
: : XF86Config file and it worked as root!!!!

: : Now I type in X as root and it comes up fine cursor moveing etc...

: : As any other user and I've tried many, all I get is a scrambled display!

: copy the XF86Config file from /root into the /home/<user_name> for
: individually configurable X sessions or copy the file to the default
: profile area.

I have the opposite problem. I can run startx no prob as a user but if I
run it from root, my mouse freezes up. I guess there must be some sort of
conflict. It's weird and i wouldn't mind knowing why this happens. I have
to hit control alt backspace to leave the xserver (meaning the keyboard
still responds fine)
                                        ---===Axel===---
HTML Programmer for hire
http://www.netsurf.org/~axel
                                43% of statistics are useless...

        <----Religion is the Root of all Evil---->

1. Can run X as root but doesn't work as user??

OK forget about this I solved the problem.

My card vendor had a driver permissions conflict within the clock
program (for setting the timings).

In this program there were function iopl calls that required root
priveleges.  Setting the setuid bit for this allowed proper
functionality with any user.

Thanks a lot anyways!

--
---------------------------|-------------------------------|

Kessler/Asher Group at     |    phone (312)786-4779        |
the CBOE                   |    fax (312)786-4776          |
-----------------------------------------------------------|

2. Faster way to unzip patches?

3. crond doesn't run for users but runs for root?

4. "pixel dust" with Stealth Video card

5. Application installed with root user doesn't work to another users

6. Strange system time values through *getrusage* system call.

7. java/43400: linux ibm jdk doesn't work for normal user, only work with root.

8. Can Linux handle this?

9. XWin 3.3.1 (redhat) Root BS works/ user's doesn't!

10. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

11. SSH doesn't run for user other than root

12. pgp doesn't work except run as root

13. Weird KDE installation problem: user works, root doesn't