Ensoniq 5880 - digital audio output - how?

Ensoniq 5880 - digital audio output - how?

Post by Paul Woodwar » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 01:44:56

Hi all, hope someone can help.

I have a set of speakers which accept a Coax digital input.  Until
recently I couldn't use this, but my new motherboard (GA7ZMM) has a built
in "Soundblaster PCI 128".  The motherboard manual says it can output
digital audio from the "line out" using the supplied adaptor - and gives
instructions for setting up the driver under windows.

I want to use the digital out ector under redhat.  Anlogue works fine
out of the box, using default drivers (OSS I guess).

The sound chip turns out to be a Ensoniq 5880, which the ALSA web page
says is very
similar (if not identical to) the Ensoniq 1371.  It looks like digital
output should be supported, but I need ALSA.  I have read the online
documentation, some of which has confused me, but I hope I have followed
it correctly.

I have tried to set up Alsa 0.9rc6 from source, and it appears to compile
and install OK.  But I get no output from the digital connector.  And I
can't get decent analogue output if I use 'aplay' either - it sounds like
a load of clicks, then just random noise.  XMMS works fine, however - I
assume it is using the OSS compatibilty.  I assume I have installed ALSA
at least halfway correctly.

I do get the following error when I restart the ALSA service.

Shutting down sound driver: done
Starting sound driver: snd-ens1371 done
/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:960: Cannot write control '3:0:0:IEC958 Playback
Mask:0' : Operation not permitted

Anyone got this working/got any tips?  I really don't know what I'm doing.

Here is the output from /proc/pci

Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 2).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
      I/O at 0xbc00 [0xbc3f].

As I said, I'm using alsa-driver-0.9.0rc6

Here is my modules.conf

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
options spdif=1
options nomix=1
#OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
#original Redhat settings removed.
#pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc
-S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
#alias sound-slot-0 es1371
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias char-major-195 NVdriver

I've got this in /dev/snd

controlC0  midiC0D0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  pcmC0D1p  seq  timer

and the same in /proc/asound/dev

00-00: ES1371/1 : ES1371 DAC2/ADC : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: ES1371/2 : ES1371 DAC1 : playback 1

  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer

1. Sound Blaster 16 PCI\Ensoniq 5880

I have recently bought a Sound Blaster 16 PCI for my system, and I'm trying
to get it to work in Linux.

I am running Red Hat 7.0 with a 2.4.2 kernel (Sound support is compiled as a
module).  I'm have a dual boot with Windows NT.

Although my sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 PCI, sndconfig says that it is
an Ensoniq 5880, so they are probably basically the same.  But then it says
it is not supported! I think this is kind of odd, because it is a Sound
Blaster 16, and the only difference is the PCI instead of the ISA.

I don't really know what to do to make it work.  So if anyone has any
suggestions...they would be appreciated.

I can rebuild the kernel if required, but I would rather just recompile
modules because the kernel takes forever to do.

Thanks

2. Some experience of linux on a Laptop

3. 2.2.18: difficulties with Ensoniq 5880 (es1371) rev 0x03?

4. ifconfig and aliases

5. Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI

6. Too many duplicated messages

7. es1371 driver: ensoniq 5880 distortion

8. Help with perl module install?

9. Creative CT 5880 on board soundchip supported? (CT5880, CT-5880)

10. VIA Apollo 133A chipset & CT 5880 sound

11. AXi & PCI Audio Warning (Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI)

12. DIGITAL ONLY CardD from Digital Audio Labs

13. Digital Audio Labs: Digital Only Card