VIA AC97 on matsonic 7177ct motherboard ?

VIA AC97 on matsonic 7177ct motherboard ?

Post by Zeljko Stanisavljevi » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:24:20

How to set may sound card on RH 7.3  ?
I try driver on www.viaarena.com  but no success ?!
VT82C686B chipset on MATSONIC !

http://downloads.viaarena.com/LinuxApplicationNotes/RedHat/Sep02/VIA%...
%20Audio%20Driver%20Installation%20ver%200.82A.gz

Thanks !

VIA AC97 on matsonic 7177ct motherboard ?

Post by Peter Christ » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:29:41

I suspect the problem is that you're using a fairly old kernel (deduced from
RedHat 7.3). The drivers built in to recent kernels work fine on my
Gigabyte GA-7ZM. I'm currently running 2.4.19, but its worked since about
2.4.14 without problems (just select via audio support when you make
xconfig or make menuconfig).

Of course, it depends whether your board has a "helper" chip along with the
basic ac97. My laptop has a Soundmaxx (AD 1886) chip on board and gave me
no end of problems until I activated ACPI in the kernel. It appears that
the bios irq routing table is broken on that laptop. ACPI takes over the
irq routing functions from the bios and sorts it all out. I had to apply a
fairly recent ACPI patch to the kernel to get everything else running ok,
but both my desktop and laptop now work fine with just the basic kernel
audio drivers.

--
Pete

Post by Richard Adam » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 18:14:18

> I suspect the problem is that you're using a fairly old kernel (deduced
> from RedHat 7.3). The drivers built in to recent kernels work fine on my
> Gigabyte GA-7ZM. I'm currently running 2.4.19, but its worked since
> about 2.4.14 without problems (just select via audio support when you
> make xconfig or make menuconfig).

> Of course, it depends whether your board has a "helper" chip along with
> the basic ac97. My laptop has a Soundmaxx (AD 1886) chip on board and
> gave me no end of problems until I activated ACPI in the kernel. It
> appears that the bios irq routing table is broken on that laptop. ACPI
> takes over the irq routing functions from the bios and sorts it all out.
> I had to apply a fairly recent ACPI patch to the kernel to get
> everything else running ok, but both my desktop and laptop now work fine
> with just the basic kernel audio drivers.

If one has a VT8233A southbridge chip with AC97 sound then the presant
kernel driver 2.4.19 does not work, nor do older ALSA drivers work, the only
ALSA driver which got sound working on my GA-7VKML board was the presant
development alsa driver to be found at;
http://www.alsa-project.org/
and is called 0.9.0rc6

As a matter of fact XP will not even reconise the chip during install.
AFAIK the VT8233A is a pain in the neck, i have all sorts of problems
with it in both linux and XP, it will not work alongside a DXR3
Sigma-designs MPEG-2 decoder card and a Hauppauge DVB-s card.

If one wants a more detailed explaination please feel free to mail me.

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/