Can't open /dev/console and Trident 9680 with X/Svgalib

Can't open /dev/console and Trident 9680 with X/Svgalib

Post by Andrew Schrett » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a video card that uses the Trident TGUI9680 chipset.
Under Windows/95/DOS I have no problems.
Under Linux, any attempt to access graphics fails
with the error message

Can't open /dev/console

I have tried to use SVGALIB with standard VGA modes
and XF86 servers like VGA16 and MONO, all
responding likewise.

As an aside, I have no problems accessing basic
VGA in DOSEMU.

Also I have checked and the permissions on /dev/console
are correct (if not overly permissive).

Can anyone offer any insight?

Andrew