Adaptec AIC-7880 problems

Post by Andrew Dento » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am using slackware v3.0.1, and I cannot get linux to mount my drive. I
ahve an on-board Adaptec AI-7880 controller. When using the aha2x4x.s
boot image, I get a repeated 0x10 error. I tried other .s images, and
most of the other ones produce an output (on LILO) like this:

L10 10 10 10 10 10 (...) the 10's continue for as much as a screenful.
The only .s image that I have been able to make work (get to a prompt)
was iomega.s (strange...). I hope that someone has some info out there

--

"If only you knew the things I have seen in the darkness of
night . . . at times I have been nearly demented with

Adaptec AIC-7880 problems

Post by regular use » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I too am trying to use this driver unsuccessfully.  I have a DEC
Celebris with an Adaptec 2940 Ultra-Wide card, that uses the same
chipset.  I can boot successfully, but then mkfs complains that I should
specify sectors, heads and cylinders for the Seagate drive I have
attached (it's my only hard drive). DOS (gasp) and NT 4.0 (double gasp)
have no problems with the controller or the drive; NT 3.51 has some real
bad (won't install) problems with the controller.  I suspect we are both
victims of a chipset modification.