Sanyo cdrom... does it do Linux?

Post by David G Traxl » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

  Greetings Wizards,

    Not too long ago, I bought a "Brand X" sound card/Sanyo HR94A CD-ROM
  combination that I was hoping would go into my Linux box. Well, *it did*,
  there was room in the case and all, unfortunately, Linux won't recognize it.
  I installed every conbination of CD support that I could find on the
  Slackware CD, 2.2.0, but no luck. I re-compiled the kernel (twice) and...
  still no luck.
    After several minutes of wild guesses and after jumping to one of several
  conclusions, I belive that the problem lies in an OPTi 82C929A cdrom/sound
  controller chip. Why did I leap to that? Because it all works under DOS as
  long as the CDSETUP.SYS driver is loaded, in front of the "normal"
  SJCD102.SYS driver. I think that CDSETUP.SYS configures the OPTi chip for
  address/cdrom port etc, stuff that is normally configured through
  dip-switches or jumpers. Is there such a device driver for Linux? I ran
  across mention of an "sjcd" driver for Linux, that I belive is for Sanyo
  cdrom's, but have been unable to find it.

  The system I am running Linux on is:
      Brand X motherboard with an AMD386DX-40 cpu
      Brand X serial card/printer port/game port
      8 meg of ram, (12 meg of swap space)
      Cirrus 542x VGA video card/ Magnavox monitor
      Seagate 40meg IDE hard drive mounted on root
      Western Digital 120meg IDE mounted on /usr
      Duct Tape
      Assorted carriage bolts

  By the way, I am also attempting to network the Linux box and a Gateway
  486DX-33 running Windows 95 (I know, I KNOW) and I wonder if there is any
  way to make the Win95 "direct cable" ie serial cable, networking talk to
  Linux through SLIP or PPP. I installed SLIP for Win95, but it wants to work
  through the dial up networking adapter instead of directly through the serial
  port. I looked through the HOWTO's at tsx-11.mit.edu, but didn't find
  anything that helped.

  I haven't had this much fun with a computer in years...
  Thanks in Advance,
  David Traxler

       *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
       |  Signature Under Contruction. Please Stay At Least 15 Feet   |
       |                    From the Computer                         |
       *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Sanyo cdrom... does it do Linux?

Post by Roger Harke » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

:   Greetings Wizards,
:
[...]

I am using a Sanyo CD-rom like yours.  I have it* off of a
pro-audio spectrum sound card.  You need to use the 'sjcd' device
driver.  It can be found in the early 1.3.x kernels (I am using
1.3.35).  The sound card needs it's dos driver to initialize it,
and to assign it it's IO port & IRQ :(  So I have this machine
boot to DOS & then run LOADLIN to boot linux ( 1Mb dos partition).
This CD got ejected from my main system & now resides on a 386sx-20
that still runs Slackware 2.0 & kernel 1.3.35.  All the machines I
have are networked with 10b2 ethernet.

Roger Harkess

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. HELP - HD partition and LILO questions

3. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

4. Weekly Posting: Where to Find Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Pointer)

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. flex release 2.4.5 now available

7. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

8. MIDI through the game port

9. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

10. HELP - Linux on DOS-compatible Macintosh (DOS side)

11. SCSI-DAT s/w like tar for DOS to exchange files LINUX <--> DOS?

12. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

13. OS/2 and DOS -> OS/2, Linux and DOS