Measuring Temp./Pressure w/ linux ?

Post by Stefan Muell » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

I am wondering if there is a possibility to measure temperatures and
pressures with my Linux-box. We've got a project where we have to supervise
a laboratory-setting. Would'nt like to have to switch to some MSDOG-Box
(obviously ;-) )

Any hint (mail?) would be appreciated !

  Cheers,
    Stefan.

--
                               . o O o . 0 .
                                     __\\ _\\__
|    Widukind Str. 5         +----------------------------------------------+
|    D-22529 Hamburg         | email:                                       |

+----------------------------+----------------------------------------------+

Post by Bradley R Anders » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Hi there,

: I am wondering if there is a possibility to measure temperatures and
: pressures with my Linux-box. We've got a project where we have to supervise
: a laboratory-setting. Would'nt like to have to switch to some MSDOG-Box
: (obviously ;-) )

I have done a similar project.  I wired a thermometor
to the parellel port of a linux box to measure the
tempature of a computer case.  The thermometer I used
was one I got from radio-shack (pn 10640316) (it is made
for this sort of thing and has good docs)  The program I
wrote to read the data was very simple and I used info
from the IO-port mini-hoto.  Unfortanally I no longer
have the program, but if you know C it shouldn't be to
hard (mine was 2 pages).  As far as barometors go, I can't
help you.

--Bradley R anderson
G.V. Net

Measuring Temp./Pressure w/ linux ?

Post by Karsten Koc » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have a weather station from 'Conrad Electronik' Germany with different
sensors (temperature, air pressure, radiation, humidity, ...). The data are
read in over the serial port of the computer. I have written two short programs
for data reading and conversion. But a simple terminal program and a shell
script can do the same job.

Bye, Karsten.
--

PHONE  +49-(0)341-97-36426 (work)

Post by Grant Edwar » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I am wondering if there is a possibility to measure temperatures and
: pressures with my Linux-box. We've got a project where we have to supervise
: a laboratory-setting. Would'nt like to have to switch to some MSDOG-Box
: (obviously ;-) )

If you want to talk to high-end lab equipment or use data acquisition
boards, there is a group of people who are working on the "Linux Lab"
project which involves GPIB device drivers and such.  Below is the intro to
Linux Lab Project.

You can also buy inexpensive A/D and D/A converter modules with RS-232 or
RS-485 ports that use a simple ASCII protocol.  The company in the US that
I've ordered these from is Omega Engineering (www.omega.com).

I've also used various other serial protocols (Modbus, HART) to talk to
process control equipment under Linux.

--
Grant Edwards

 Announcing - the LINUX-LAB Project (LLP)

What is the Linux Lab Project ?
--------------------------------

  This project should help people, dealing with data aquisition,
  process control, laboratory automation and similar things within
  a educational or industrial environment.

  Unnecessary to say - LINUX is known as reliable and transparent
  development platform for a wide variety of applications. If one wants
  to use LINUX to get measurements or control instruments
  he has two choices:

  - The one is return to DOS and use all the colorful tools but spend more
    time to hack around memory-problems, driver-incompatibilities, library-bugs
    and other surprises DOS has in store for us. :-(

  - The other way is using LINUX with all its nice features but this will
    often be the harder way, as driver and applications have to be written
    first.

  For the bigger percentage of LINUX users the latter will be a real
  problem because they have no knowledge about all the hardware-related
  stuff.

  The LINUX-LAB Project wants to fill this gap step by step.

  That does not mean that there will be a big application in the future
  that solves all your problems and tasks but there should be a forum
  for discussions or assistance and a pool with existing software that
  can be taken as template for own developments.
  The project should be helpfull for all, experienced
  and inexperienced users as well.

What's in store already ?
---------------------------

  o) Support for IEEE-488 (GPIB,HPIB) boards

        - consists of three parts:
              a kernel driver module (full configurable at runtime)
              a user c-call library
              ibsh a tcl/tk extension to access the bus via tcl/tk

     [State: useable]

  o) Support for several commercial multifunction boards
        ( D/A, A/D, data aquisition etc)

        - 2 National Instruments multifunction board
                 AT-MIO16F [comes with tcl/tk interface]
                 and lab-pc+ (written by glenn moloney)

          [State: under development]

        - 1 Keythley board
                 DAS-1200 (written by matt welch)

     [State: under development]

  o) Support for CAMAC controllers

     [State: first alpha]

Are there ideas for the future ?
--------------------------------

  When I started the project my idea was to have more than one hardware
  product supported by one software, but this will be very difficult due to
  the functional differences between all the availiable hardware.
  So I decided that a set of 'tools' would be handy that can be combined
  to a bigger application system that supports a wide variety of hardware
  and provides a graphical interface, a mathematical interface and perhaps
  network support. Currently this ideas are far away from
  reality because there has to be elementary support for usual measurement
  hardware components first..but let us see...

  To simplify the process of driver-writing for linux i thought about
  LDDK (Linux Device Driver development kit) it should help the hardware
  developers and the driver developers as well to implement a driver
  as quickly as possible:

  LDDK should consist of:

       o) a source-code generator that generates a driver skeleton
          from a driver definition language, the generator should
          take care of:

                - support for loadable modules
                - capability for dynamic configuration
                - transport of data through the user/kernel-space
                  interface
                - generating library-stubs for driver routines

       o) a user-library that supports generated calls
          (could be generated from the DDL) and the interface
          to the dynamic configuration capability.

       o) a kernel-space library that provides:

               - routines for debbuging and error logging
               - routines for dynamic allocation of DMA memory
               - driver-stubs for the dynamic configuration
                 capability

  [State: lot of work :-)]

  The second tool would be a application system that provides
  functionalities to get measurements and handle the data.
  The system should be comfortable enough to have a graphical
  user interface. I think a TCL/TK extension/interpreter
  could do the job if there would be the following features:
       o) a interface to the library-stubs for each supported
          hardware. (can be implemented with dll support)

       o) a simple vector processing extension where data vectors can
          be handled as tcl-objects. The extension should provide
          operations like:

               - adding, subtracting etc vector data
               - smoothing (or digital filters)
               - linear/nonlinear curve fit on vector data

  Just some ideas :-)

Where can I get Information about the project?
------------------------------------

  Existing packages developed under this project can be found on

  ftp://koala.chemie.fu-berlin.de/pub/linux/LINUX-LAB

  or the 1st mirror

  ftp://enif.astro.indiana.edu/pub/LINUX-LAB
  ( thanks to geo :-) )

  If you want to join the project as coworker or if you want to
  get help on a certain problem related to this stuff you should
  subscribe to the LLP mailing list:

  Send email with only the word 'info' in the subject (without
  the quotes of course) to the mailing-list robot account:

  and you will get back a short introduction.

  Alternatively you can contact me personally at

  feel free to send your suggestions or criticism (if there is any) :-)

1. How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Hey all,
    I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

--
-Jae Il "Joker" Ko
.

2. NFS-mounting drive from remote host ?

3. Microsoft is under pressure from Linux

4. Att Worldnet connection

5. Could Microsoft be pressuring Dell to drop Linux?

6. Tricky ksh prompt -- parameter substitution

7. linux.temp: Linux bug report template

8. sending cookies, problem with specifying domain name

9. linux.fix.temp: Linux bug fix report template

10. bios cpu temp reading under linux?

11. TCP memory pressure question

12. Under pressure

13. Allow ext3 pages to be written back by VM pressure