Cd Writing Unsuccessful

Post by Maestro Mute » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 05:45:49

Hi Everybody!

I have a HP 8100 cd writer plus. It appears to work under linux, but it
refuses to clear CR-RWs. I've tried with Cdrecord (both command-line and
GUIs) and Cdrdao, and both of them returned something like "power
calibration area error".
Can any of you explain me what happened, please?

Cd Writing Unsuccessful

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:04:08

> I have a HP 8100 cd writer plus. It appears to work under linux, but it
> refuses to clear CR-RWs. I've tried with Cdrecord (both command-line and
> GUIs) and Cdrdao, and both of them returned something like "power
> calibration area error".
> Can any of you explain me what happened, please?

Is the 8100 designed for CD-RWs?  Some older devices only support CD-R.
Have you tried a number of disks/brands with the same result?  IIRC, the
power calibration is based on the disk's ATIP info.  If that is bad, or
does not correspond to something your writer supports you would get an
error.

--

Cd Writing Unsuccessful

Post by Maestro Mute » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 04:46:34

John Thompson ha scritto:

> Is the 8100 designed for CD-RWs?

yes

Quote:> Some older devices only support CD-R.
> Have you tried a number of disks/brands with the same result?  IIRC, the
> power calibration is based on the disk's ATIP info.  If that is bad, or
> does not correspond to something your writer supports you would get an
> error.

I might say you "used to work under windows"
Anyway, is there a way to set this power calibration?

Cd Writing Unsuccessful

Post by Maestro Mute » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:59:49

Andreas Braeutigam ha scritto:

>>>Is the 8100 designed for CD-RWs?

>>yes

> Are you trying to write Highspeed CDRW Media with a Multispeed burner?
> Most burners that support CD-RW up to 4x don't support Highspeed
> Media, even if they are labeled 4-10x.

>>Anyway, is there a way to set this power calibration?

> A failing power calibration means that the laser strength can't be set
> high enough for the medium.

> This can be caused by using the wrong type of media(*), poor media
> quality, dust/dirt in the laser's path or a worn laser diode.

> Problems with a dirty or worn laser usually affect CD-RWs first
> because they need considerably more laser power than CD-Rs.

> Ciao,
> Andreas

In other words: throw away that old piece of junk and replace it.
Alright: any suggestions about the manufacturer?

1. UDF Write Support with CD-RW and CD-R Devices ?

Hello,

I want to use UDF with my CD-RW Device
but write support is not supported at the moment.

So I want to ask what is the status about this Topic at the moment?
Is someone working on this?

In ./Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
i read the following:
" Write support requires a block driver which supports writing. The current
scsi and ide cdrom drivers do not support writing."

And in menu-config this:
"Due to lack of support for writing to CDR/CDRW's, this option
  ? is only supported for hard discs, DVD-RAM, and loopback files."

Is someone working on write support for those SCSI and IDE CDROM drivers or
this Block Driver thing support?

Will i see UDF write support with CD-RW Devices in the next big Kernel
Release, in other words for example linux Kernel 2.6.x?

Pleas CC every answer/comment of this Topic to me,
because I am not subscribed to this mailing-list.

Thanks.

Best Regards
   Oliver C.

http://www.gmx.net

-

2. anyone using Arena II IDE RAID solution?

3. intermittent failure writing cd-rw with cdrecord on saf cd-rw2224

4. Obtaining full path of a file given as a parameter

5. CD writing program for ATAPI IDE cd-r's

6. restricting logins

7. error writing CD with Plextor-CD-writer

8. FreeBSD 4.x VPN instead of Checkpoint

9. Can LG CD-RW CED-8080B write audio CD's in RedHat 7.2?

10. is there a way to test a cd without actually writing to a cd?

11. on cd-writers and cd-writing: urgent help required

12. unix_admin newbie needs help,SS5(Solaris2.6/HotJava)->ISP unsuccessful

13. Unsuccessful gateway. Too may arp coversations.