GoldStar CD-Rom Drive Setup

Post by Peter Lucz » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi!
I hope someone out there can help:
I'm trying to setup Slackware Linux 3.0 (kernel 1.2.13) on my PC. I have
a Goldstar GCD-R540 4X CDROM Drive which I got as a part of my SoundBlaster
Kit.  I used the idecd bootimage to boo up with no luck.  I decided to
switch mu CDROM from the SoundBlaster IDE interface to my motherboard's
IDE controller and I also switched my CDROM from slave to master.  Now my
gets detected on boot up, but when I try to select it as the source of
my installation, I get an error message that says:
'The Slackware source directory could not be found.  You'll have to
reconfigure your source media before you can install'

What do I do?????   I would really appreciate a response (email preferred)
cause I'm stuck....
Thanks
Peter

GoldStar CD-Rom Drive Setup

Post by William Davi » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi!
>I hope someone out there can help:
>I'm trying to setup Slackware Linux 3.0 (kernel 1.2.13) on my PC. I have
>a Goldstar GCD-R540 4X CDROM Drive which I got as a part of my SoundBlaster
>Kit.  I used the idecd bootimage to boo up with no luck.  I decided to
>switch mu CDROM from the SoundBlaster IDE interface to my motherboard's
>IDE controller and I also switched my CDROM from slave to master.  Now my
>gets detected on boot up, but when I try to select it as the source of
>my installation, I get an error message that says:
>'The Slackware source directory could not be found.  You'll have to
>reconfigure your source media before you can install'

>What do I do?????   I would really appreciate a response (email preferred)
>cause I'm stuck....
>Thanks
>Peter

I have a Reveal GCDR540 4X CDROM same problem.
My workaround was to make enough floppies to boot the system.
When the system is bootied the boot process will mount the
cdrom.  At that time cd over to and copy the files needed to
finish installing your system.  It worked but there has to be a
fix.  If you find it pass it on.

thanks

GoldStar CD-Rom Drive Setup

Post by William Davi » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Peter

I have a Reveal GCDR540 4X CDROM with the same problem.
My workaround was to install the basic system useing floppies.
Boot the system and at that time Slackware [boot process]would go out and
find/mount the cdrom at that time cd over to /cdrom cp the Slackware dir
to my harddrive.  Goback to root and kick off setup and install the rest
from the hard drive.  It worked but there has to be a real fix.  If
someone has it pass it on to me

have a good one

Bill

> [...]

>switch mu CDROM from the SoundBlaster IDE interface to my motherboard's
>IDE controller and I also switched my CDROM from slave to master.  Now my
>gets detected on boot up, but when I try to select it as the source of
>my installation, I get an error message that says:
>'The Slackware source directory could not be found.  You'll have to
>reconfigure your source media before you can install'

>What do I do?????   I would really appreciate a response (email preferred)
>cause I'm stuck....
>Thanks
>Peter

I have a Reveal GCDR540 4X CDROM same problem.
My workaround was to make enough floppies to boot the system.
When the system is bootied the boot process will mount the
cdrom.  At that time cd over to and copy the files needed to
finish installing your system.  It worked but there has to be a

Post by BARDOU Jean-Fran?o » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi!
>I hope someone out there can help:
>I'm trying to setup Slackware Linux 3.0 (kernel 1.2.13) on my PC. I have
>a Goldstar GCD-R540 4X CDROM Drive

below, an answer I received recently about the GCD540 Cd drive :

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 00:28:08 -0500 (CDT)

Subject: Linux-FT rev1.1 and Goldstar 540 ide install

   hdb: cdrom_read_from_buffer:buffer botch(75)
   end_requests: I/O error, dev0340,sector 75

buffer botch is known to be fixed in 1.3 kernels.  I have the 540, and
1.3.12 solved the problem for me.

Hope this help

1. GoldStar 540 CD-Rom Setup Problems

Hi,

I have a GoldStar 540 QuadSpeed CD-Rom and I won't get it to work under
Linux. I have tried the 470 Driver that comes with Slackware, but it
won't work. The CD-Rom is supposed to be a IDE CD-Rom, so I tried that
as well. Neither will it work.

Got any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please mail replies to my email address, since I don't have frequent
access to a newsserver. Thanks again.

:Nils

2. g77 and mvbits NO WORK

3. problems with Goldstar GCD-R420B CD-ROM drive

4. Intel Won't Initialize

5. REVEAL CD-ROM Drive (Actually a Goldstar) - Help

6. a laser mouse speed problem..

7. Help: problem with Goldstar CD-ROM drive

8. RHl 7.0 nfs install. i am stuck?

9. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

10. CD-ROM Drive/CD-ROM Bundle

11. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

12. Installing Linux with a GoldStar CD ROM Drive

13. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives